Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.
Trying to find online opinions (silly me ;)) from folks who have experience with commencal in the us, particularly the new meta ht's.
I looked for existing threads, but didn't have much luck.
Thanks,
Brian.

I ride rocky, rooty, twisy, hilly, single track in VT.

·
Registered
308 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, they are aluminum? I personally ride a steel hardtail for a little extra compliance over rocks and roots and such (NJ/PA). I also run 2.4's tubeless front and back, and I'm sure big rubber on an aluminum frame should help to take out some of the chatter.

Sorry I don't have anything more Commencal related

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They have a steel frame and a Ti. Ti is out of the price range and next run on steel isn't until May, in Europe.

My current ht is aluminum. While I'd prefer the steel, I can imagine the backlog headaches. I can have an aluminum on the doorstep by Friday.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Though I haven't ridden one, I really like the geo numbers. I ride 456 Evo2 at 150mm and really like it. The geometries of the two are very similar but the HA on the Meta is one degree steeper than at 66.5 degrees, the top tube is longer, and the chainstays are about the same length, though the Meta has 27.5 wheels. Without riding it and relying on reports of a long TT/short CS combo, those numbers seemingly add up to pretty good riding bike, but that's my personal opinion and I prefer a slack bike.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the bb clearance drop/clearance on 456 and is it an issue for you. I understand this is pretty subjective but I know they are getting lower on these types of frames. If my math is right, the -1.8 drop on the meta is a clearance of 11.95". If that's right, it's similar to the 12" on my current bike.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Their site says that that "BB drop is 11mm... with a rider aboard BB sits at 26mm below the wheels...". Hopefully that's of help.

I ride in Jersey and PA so it's pretty rocky, and I did have a bit of an issue pedal strikes when I ran it with a 120mm fork, but it's much less of an issue at 150mm. I'll get the occasional pedal strike. Those numbers and my are for 26 inch wheels so I'm not sure how that'll translate to 27.5

1 - 7 of 7 Posts