Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,454 Posts
VERY unlikely to be ready to go... I would imagine the dark woods coming down to Two Elks Pass is still snowed in. We were in the area Sunday before last and the Grand Traverse wasn't even open yet...

I'd give one of the bike shops a call in Vail/Edwards to confirm...

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
I rode it 1st of July last year and the climb was miles of 4-foot-deep snow drifts. For a while we could only locate the trail by following XC ski tracks. The descent was perfection though, so while it was a stupid thing to do I would still recommend it.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,454 Posts
singletrack said:
I rode it 1st of July last year and the climb was miles of 4-foot-deep snow drifts. For a while we could only locate the trail by following XC ski tracks. The descent was perfection though, so while it was a stupid thing to do I would still recommend it.
Didn't you run into about a mile of snow on the initial descent off the ridge?

·
Registered
268 Posts
subliminalshiver said:
Haven't heard much about the Commando run? Anyone been up in that neck-o-the-woods lately?
Anyone want to go Friday?
Hey subliminalshiver,

Better bring your snowshoes. We did it July 4th and spent two hours slogging through drifts as high as 6 feet. Many places, the trail was completely obscured and we followed some other poor soul's foot/tire tracks to find it.

And yes, Skaredshtles, these drifts filled the last 1000 feet up and the first 1000 feet down - had to miss all that sweet descent through the trees.

Two Elks was sweet, but to top off the day, the bridge over Two Elks Creek was out. We had to scramble over on a big log to get out of there.

I'll try to post some pics later. That trail needs another month!

E

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,454 Posts
theycallmeE said:
<snip>

And yes, Skaredshtles, these drifts filled the last 1000 feet up and the first 1000 feet down - had to miss all that sweet descent through the trees.
Way to fight the good fight! :D

Two Elks was sweet, but to top off the day, the bridge over Two Elks Creek was out. We had to scramble over on a big log to get out of there.
That bridge has been out for a year now... unless it got washed out AGAIN this year. I've never actually done 2 Elks into Minturn. We always climb out of China and do the Traverse & Matterhorn.

I'll try to post some pics later. That trail needs another year!
Fixed! :lol:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.