Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
unrooted
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how I get a rebuild kit for my 2018 IRCC 30.9x125mm post? I called the closest shop (hour drive away) and they said that they would call specialized, but were pretty sure it had to be sent in for a rebuild. . . I've seen kits on euro websites, but they are 39.99 euro. . . before freight to the US.

·
Here, diagonally!
2,098 Posts
You can clean and lube it yourself with no parts replacement. There are videos, but I service mine with the post still clamped in the frame and seat attached. This is from memory:

1) Clean any loose dirt off the stanchion, seals, and top of post under the seat.

2) Release all air pressure from the seat tube.

3) Use a strap wrench to undo the top collar, counter-clockwise when viewing from the top to loosen. Slide it up off the threads.

3) Push the seat release button on the bars, and you can then slide the stanchion all the way out of the outer tube. Careful not to drop or loose the brass bushings, they are held on just by grease.

4) DON'T slide the upper seal off the stanchion, apparently if you do that you need a special tool to get it back on (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

5) Clean everything with paper towels, including the seat tube.

6) Lube with your favorite grease (I use SRAM Butter, but have also used synthetic bearing grease in the past with no issues).

7) I try to get some grease into the stanchion seal. It's not ideal, but I push it to the top, remove the spring with a pick, and inject some with a little plastic injector from RWC.

8) Reassemble.

I have run these posts for the last 6 years or so, and that is all they ever needed. I had one with a slow leak, so sent it to specialized to have it built, and the slow leak remained. It was an external model and leaking out the top where the cable attached. Had to add air every ride that the bike shop said it was normal. Into the trash it went. My other 3 have been flawless. I had one with a chip in the stanchion, and amazingly, it would go 1-2 months without leaking air. My IRCC goes pretty much indefinitely without needing air, just needs air adjustments for change of seasons.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The kits are £25 in the UK. I bought a kit without knowing about needing the tool to get the seal on the stantion. I haven't got round to getting the tool yet.

Mine has a slow leak that needs topping up every ride, I hope it's a seal.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
677 Posts
Does anyone know how I get a rebuild kit for my 2018 IRCC 30.9x125mm post? I called the closest shop (hour drive away) and they said that they would call specialized, but were pretty sure it had to be sent in for a rebuild. . . I've seen kits on euro websites, but they are 39.99 euro. . . before freight to the US.
I can sell you my spare

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
168 Posts
About this post... Do everyone runs it at the recommended pressure range (15-20 psi)? If so, do you let it slam when it gets up or you control it with your thighs?

I feel like running it at 10 psi to allow myself to let it go. It just comes up way too fast otherwise

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk

·
unrooted
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just informed by a Specialized shop that Specialized is no longer making seatposts, or the service kits for their posts. I'm glad to know that I spent $300 on a post that didn't even last me a year. I almost bought a Specialized post for my wife, thankfully I bought the Fox Transfer.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was just informed by a Specialized shop that Specialized is no longer making seatposts, or the service kits for their posts. I'm glad to know that I spent $300 on a post that didn't even last me a year. I almost bought a Specialized post for my wife, thankfully I bought the Fox Transfer.
Really? Well that blows! So we just wait for them to crap out on us since they can't be properly services anymore?

·
unrooted
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Really? Well that blows! So we just wait for them to crap out on us since they can't be properly services anymore?

I've been told different stories from different shops, as well as Specialized:

One shop claimed that they won't be offering the kits any more, another shop told me that Specialized told them that the rebuild kits won't be available until June and said I would need to buy the Bullet tool, but Specialized's "rider care" emailed me and said the rebuild kits will be available soon, but the bullet tool isn't available to anyone but bike shops, so I'd have to have a "certified specialized dealer rebuild it for me."

I wish there was a way to see a companies policy on this type of thing before I drop the cash on their products.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
I was just informed by a Specialized shop that Specialized is no longer making seatposts, or the service kits for their posts.
If this turns out to be true it'll be the last time I buy anything from Specialized.

I've got two Command Posts and up until now I've found Specialized very helpful and their customer care fantastic. But leaving thousands of people with zero parts for your products is not on. I find it hard to believe they would do that.

I did not have any problem in buying a kit or getting parts and advice directly from the Specialized service place in the UK. Hopefully you'll be able to get the bits you need just as easily.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Specialized has rebuild kits. We just ordered a bunch. And we got custom keys made because the keys wear out more often.

Those posts are very easy to work on, use normal metric nitrile o-rings you can source anywhere. We have all three collet sizes in stock (easy to get). You can have a local machine shop made a dozen extra keys for you with standard 5x5 brass key stock.

There's no reason in the world why any shop with a good mechanic couldn't pop this open and fix it. I'm kinda stupid and I can do it...

mk

·
unrooted
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If this turns out to be true it'll be the last time I buy anything from Specialized.

I've got two Command Posts and up until now I've found Specialized very helpful and their customer care fantastic. But leaving thousands of people with zero parts for your products is not on. I find it hard to believe they would do that.

I did not have any problem in buying a kit or getting parts and advice directly from the Specialized service place in the UK. Hopefully you'll be able to get the bits you need just as easily.
My theory is that Specialized only has this policy in the US because I can find the rebuild kit on German websites, but they are $40 euro plus $20 freight. . . which is a lot more than I think a rebuild kit should cost. Hopefully the shop that said they can sell me a bullet tool actually will, or I'll be trying to make something from the hardware store.

·
unrooted
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Specialized has rebuild kits. We just ordered a bunch. And we got custom keys made because the keys wear out more often.

Those posts are very easy to work on, use normal metric nitrile o-rings you can source anywhere. We have all three collet sizes in stock (easy to get). You can have a local machine shop made a dozen extra keys for you with standard 5x5 brass key stock.

There's no reason in the world why any shop with a good mechanic couldn't pop this open and fix it. I'm kinda stupid and I can do it...

mk
Can I order some keys from you along with the bullet tool and rebuild kits? All I need right now are the keys, I ordered a rebuild kit for one of Specialized's older posts because I believe they will fit mine. . . but I hear that all of the other parts are different.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
Those posts are very easy to work on...There's no reason in the world why any shop with a good mechanic couldn't pop this open and fix it.
I agree. It's one of the things that attracted me to the post in the first place. Which makes it even more surprising if they they have killed them off. Sure, they have issues but what post doesn't and at least they are easy to fix.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Can I order some keys from you along with the bullet tool and rebuild kits? All I need right now are the keys, I ordered a rebuild kit for one of Specialized's older posts because I believe they will fit mine. . . but I hear that all of the other parts are different.
I've rebuilt two posts without the bullet tool. The trick is to re-insert the post very slowly while rotating it to get it to pass by the seal without inverting the seal lip. Don't force it and go slow! Some thin teflon lube helps. My two posts hold air fine a year after rebuilding them.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
does anyone have a service video / guide for this post?
I'm pretty sure there is a video or two on youtube. It's a really, really simple thing to service. It gets trickier if you need to fully strip it but it's still not complicated, I've done a couple, and managed it without any dedicated tools. Just what's in the shed and a bit of ingenuity.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.