Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
NJ Gator
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume it needs a rebuild but I have been using the post for several seasons (external cable version) I do get it serviced every year. I am experiencing intermittent slipping at full extension. It slips I get off it and it pops right back up seems to lock in and doesn’t slip for a while but will do so eventually. Before hauling it in for an overhaul I thought I would see if anyone here has suggestions for me to identify a user error that may resolve the issue.

A few things I have done so far:

- Checked the cable- it is not getting pulled anywhere that may be “activating” the post

- Checked the lock ring and found it slightly loose. Hand tightened it and re-pressurized the post was a little low but nothing too bad.

- saw the cable end pointing straight up and wondered if somehow my fat arse might be pushing down on it the just the right way to activate the switch and post (highly unlikely but I am in problem solving mode)

- When re-pressurizing the post I shook it- no parts rattling around inside

- Post goes up and down without issue

I assume something got in there and is preventing a lock key from engaging consistently but before I do bring it in for a rebuild I figured I would see if anyone here thinks I am overlooking something silly.

Thanks so much!

·
And I'm out.
506 Posts
I don't think you missed anything, that sounds like the plunger/cable stop assembly inside the post has not been set to the required depth but without seeing it I don't know for sure. You've covered the other possibilities of cable tension at the lever too high ( it needs 3-4mm of slack slack at the lever) and something wedging the lever down. So that only leaves broken fingers off of the collet (although they may be stuck in the grease but a good shake will get them rattling around).

Send that beast in for a service!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Not sure how comfortable you are but they are pretty easy to work on. I have dealt with that issue a few times and it was a little to much grease in the post where the collet rest. Simple cleaning and re-lubing does the trick.

You don't even need to take the post out of the bike just let the air out and un-screw the seal head with a strap wrench. Then push the lever and pull the seat post out. if you look down into the post on the bike you will see the collet, inspect it to make sure it's not broken and not full of too much grease. Then look into the shaft of the post you pulled out and clean it up and make sure there is nothing stuck up in it. Put some new slick honey grease inside it and put the post back together as you took it apart. Air it up and see if the problem is gone or the same.

Here is the specialized service video so you can see how easy it is to take a part and service.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.