Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals
I will be in santa fe from May 17-22 for a conference. I will have some afternoons free. I am unable to bring my bike - can anyone recommend a LBS that rents or guides? Or if anyone has a spare 14" bike just laying around needing riding love, I can help! ;) also how is the weather and how many layers do I need to bring? Anyone up for some riding, let me know!

Thanks!

·
the cool nerd
8,643 Posts
Impy said:
Hi guys and gals
I will be in santa fe from May 17-22 for a conference. I will have some afternoons free. I am unable to bring my bike - can anyone recommend a LBS that rents or guides? Or if anyone has a spare 14" bike just laying around needing riding love, I can help! ;) also how is the weather and how many layers do I need to bring? Anyone up for some riding, let me know!

Thanks!
if you find a bike, I'd up for a few rides

scott

·
Banned
340 Posts
Hey Impy,

Rentals - The only shop in town that I know is currently renting bikes is http://sunmountainbikeco.com/sun/rentals.html. I would give them a call to see what sizes and availability they have.

Guides - Most of the mountain bike guiding companies in town are more focused on the beginner to intermediate skill riders. I'm assuming that you're a bit beyond that range. Some of us locals could show you around our trails without needing your credit card # :p.

Weather - http://www.srh.noaa.gov/forecasts/NMZ004.php?warncounty=NMC049&city=Santa+Fe. Highs have been in the upper 60's / lower 70's, lows in the upper 30's to low 40's, sunny and breezy. If you're riding in the afternoon it's usually shorts and short sleeves with sunscreen.

If you have more questions just post them or drop me an email.

FWIW,
Dr.F.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dr.Faustus said:
Guides - Most of the mountain bike guiding companies in town are more focused on the beginner to intermediate skill riders. I'm assuming that you're a bit beyond that range. Some of us locals could show you around our trails without needing your credit card # :p.
I'd say I'm intermediate - but if anyone wants to ride anyway I will post when the time is closer. I am very excited, this is my first time in New Mexico!

Thanks for the bike shop link I shall call them.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
Dr.Faustus said:
Good question, I hadn't decided yet. Is it just me, or did they raise the price for the races? $60 + $15 transportation fee to do the road race? BTW, how's the new place?

Dr.(indecisive)F.
I think it's the same price. The MTB race is "only" $45... maybe that's what you're thinking of?

The house is coming along... OK. As the weather gets nicer, I do less work. Maybe get the plumbing in by the end of the month, drywall by June.... who knows.

If it wasn't for work, I'd hardly get any riding in.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Cool!

Sun Mountain may be lacking a bit in a decent ride for you, but try Santa Fe Mountain Sports - I used to work right next door and they rented out an medium/low end Kona model that seemed OK, and they had many sizes. Not sure that they're still doing it, but they did for years, including last year.

The weather will be great that weekend! Spring has finally sprung here and we're seeing high 60's low 70's now, and it ought to warm up yet more in the coming weeks. Friday I'm off work, and I'll see what we can put together ride-wise. Also, Tuesday & Thursday there are some mellow to moderate rides from near town and I'll check with those folks too. The weekend you'll be here there ought to be something fun / longer happening too. Any chance you'd want to just ship your bike? Might be well worth it.... :)

·
Banned
340 Posts
glenzx said:
Sun Mountain may be lacking a bit in a decent ride for you, but try Santa Fe Mountain Sports - I used to work right next door and they rented out an medium/low end Kona model that seemed OK, and they had many sizes. Not sure that they're still doing it, but they did for years, including last year.
Glen is right, S.Fe Mountain Sports is renting bikes this year. From a quick phone conversation it sounds like they are renting out some higher-end bikes including a few demos. They might have something a little more appealing, though I didn't ask about sizes.

Santa Fe Mountain Sports
607 Cerrillos Rd, # A
(505) 988-3337

FWIW,
Dr.F.

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dr.Faustus said:
Glen is right, S.Fe Mountain Sports is renting bikes this year. From a quick phone conversation it sounds like they are renting out some higher-end bikes including a few demos. They might have something a little more appealing, though I didn't ask about sizes.

Santa Fe Mountain Sports
607 Cerrillos Rd, # A
(505) 988-3337

FWIW,
Dr.F.
THanks guys, I will check that out indeed. Any names I can drop? "Hi Glenzx and Dr. Faustus sent me..."

I cannot ship my bike for two reasons - I'm not at home and secondly, all that I have access to is my SS and I'm afraid I will asphyxiate at the higher altitude as it is.

I'm really looking forward to this! I must not forget, I need to actually attend a little of this *conference* thing that I used as an excuse to come visit NM :D

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Impy said:
THanks guys, I will check that out indeed. Any names I can drop? "Hi Glenzx and Dr. Faustus sent me..."

I cannot ship my bike for two reasons - I'm not at home and secondly, all that I have access to is my SS and I'm afraid I will asphyxiate at the higher altitude as it is.

I'm really looking forward to this! I must not forget, I need to actually attend a little of this *conference* thing that I used as an excuse to come visit NM :D
LOL, not sure if it'd help - or hurt :p (jk) - But depending on who's working, saying that the shop came recommended from Glen and Rich (rs3o here at MTBR) - we both are architects who worked at the firm next to the shop- may help. They may also give you a blank stare too. If the Blonde Gal helps you out who owns a Citrus Blur, she'd likely remember me as we talked about the Blurs a few times.... one way or another, Dan, the owner, is very cool and a nice guy. He's more of a ski nut but a guys gotta do something in the "off-season", right?

And indeed, SS'ing is hardcore here - potentially compounded by the lack of O2!

Conference? Oh yeah, that's right - I thought it was just a bike vacation...:rolleyes:

·
Banned
340 Posts
Impy said:
Hope you made it into town all right. Let us know when you can ride (apart from that pesky conference) and we'll try to line up something not-too-punishing for a low-lander. I would however recommend putting Glen on a single speed - it'll even things out a bit ;) .

Hasta,
Dr.F.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Possible ride(s)

I can think of a couple of moderate ride oppurtunities: Thursday I'll be trying to sneak out of work at 430 or so, to head up to Los Alamos for a recovery type ride with the Tuff Riders gang. If you wanted to check out those trails up in LA, lemme know and we can make plans. Otherwise, give me a call, and I can give you the heads up on a mellow SF ride on Thursday too, after workish at 530PM. Friday, I'll be headed out to the Pecos for an all-day scouting & GPS/Mapping mission - should be brutal and the potential for, um, diversions and mapchecks is HIGH, so I'd not want to subject out-of-town guests to that silliness!

Anyhow, I'll PM you my phone #....

glen

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.