Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently riding a 26 inch hard tail and the time has now come where I must buy a new fork, frame, and rims. In light of this I've been seriously pondering the idea of going to a 29er, possibly an all rigid 29er. I'm not buying until spring but I'm looking at the salsa Mamacita (scandium/carbon) and the Salsa El Mariachi (full steel). What are people's thoughts on steel versus carbon on an all rigid set up? Carbon is obviously the lighter option, so if it's lighter and it rides better I'll call it a two-fer and justify the expense. If steel is the way to go I'll bite the weight and go with steel. Feel free to gush about any revelations that have come about riding rigid rigs(geez that's some alliteration). By the way the bike will be being ridden primarily in front range Colorado on trails like white ranch, chimney gulch, and apex park. As well as some racing on the mountain states cup and winter park race series. For anyone who is familiar with the region that may give some perspective as to the bike's application.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Choices..

Welcome to the party..:thumbsup: :D

Seeing as you are not buying for a while...you have plenty of time to do research on the 29'ers and pin down exactly what you want.

There is a wealth of information on this forum on these fine bikes, especially the El Mariachi.

Ask questions, get opinions, do your homework on the models...etc... and if possible, get a ride or two.

Good Luck,

R.

·
Registered
578 Posts
obligatory sir 9 reply :thumbsup: with a Pace carbon 29'er fork. I don't have the carbon fork on mine, but wish I'd gone that route from the start after reading other comments.

and I also recommend just hanging out here for a couple months if you can before you buy, you'll learn alot.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
bike supremacist said:
I'm currently riding a 26 inch hard tail and the time has now come where I must buy a new fork, frame, and rims. In light of this I've been seriously pondering the idea of going to a 29er, possibly an all rigid 29er. I'm not buying until spring but I'm looking at the salsa Mamacita (scandium/carbon) and the Salsa El Mariachi (full steel). What are people's thoughts on steel versus carbon on an all rigid set up? Carbon is obviously the lighter option, so if it's lighter and it rides better I'll call it a two-fer and justify the expense. If steel is the way to go I'll bite the weight and go with steel. Feel free to gush about any revelations that have come about riding rigid rigs(geez that's some alliteration). By the way the bike will be being ridden primarily in front range Colorado on trails like white ranch, chimney gulch, and apex park. As well as some racing on the mountain states cup and winter park race series. For anyone who is familiar with the region that may give some perspective as to the bike's application.
Revelations about riding rigid?

Tough guy points will be earned, that's for sure. Recovery between rides will not be as swift due to the rattling one takes on the upper body and inner organs (no matter what material the rigid fork is made out of). Bike will be light and the corners as well as the climbs will put a huge smile on your face. Descents? That's a different story. Toss your leg over a rigid 29"er and bomb down a few hills. All your questions will be answered - quickly.:eek:

Don't know the terrain, but I envision enough trail chatter in the front range to give you a nice shaking at race speed while running rigid (wouldn't really matter if you were on a steel fork or a carbon one, you will get a rattling in the hands, arms, teeth, neck, torso and increase your recovery times). Any chance you would consider also having the option of a second fork in the parts bin so you could switch to front suspension with lockout for certain races that may have a course that "demands" it?

That Mamsita does look like it will be hot seller for racing. Some nice race frame choices from Niner as well that you didn't mention. Plenty of builds and photos on this forum of race sleds with front suspension in the 20 - 23 lb range - and even lighter with a rigid fork.

You have a little time to get organized with your research before the new 2007 products actually are available (frames, rims, etc..). If I was considering a new race bike to build up light (not buying anything new this year as I'm set and already one bike away from a divorce;) ;) ;) ;) ), I would look at the Mamasita, Air Nine, EMD Nine, Orbea Alma, Quiring, etc... . I doubt if a custom builder could get a bike done in time for the beginning of the season at this point since by the time you would place an order, it might take too long to get the frame delivered to your door for the season. Who knows?

Best of luck. I think it would be best - if it is possible - to toss a leg over a rigid 29"er to get a feel of what it is like at speed. Yes, a rigid 29"er can be a great race day ride. I did a couple of races on my rigid Karate Monkey this year. Felt great during the race, but the body was pretty beat up for a few days following the effort. Keep an open mind that having a 2nd fork (a suspension fork) would be a nice way to rig your race bike up for specific courses.

BB

·
Registered
803 Posts
ohhh but i do, hehehehe. prevent mud getting in of course ;)

most rides i do, i'm the only one with a rigid fork, and a steel frame to boot!!

and now i am thinking of getting more "tough guy points" by going SS for my next bike project.

·
Registered
262 Posts
bike supremacist said:
I can't comment on a CF frame, but I have a Pace on my Soulcraft, and it's nice. It's way light and has a nice give to it on small stuff, not so on medium and bigger bumps.

I'm not man enough to ride rigid on a 26'er, but on the big wheels it's great. The big wheels make it possible. I run rigid on my 1x9 and my SS and love it, you just ride some things differently than if you had a sush fork. The suppleness or lack thereof in the fork can make a big difference. The Karate Monky fork is universally regarded as brutal- I'm certainly not man enough...

Although I ride rigid, I'm 43 and I've been riding for a long time, so I've got the attendant aches and pains that come with it. I don't see myself going back to a sush fork in the near future, but I'm gong to try a Thudbuster ST on the rear end. I used them on 26'ers off and on for years, and they have their purpose. I figure with the smoothness already provided by the big wheels, and a big 'ol Weir Wolf on the front, the Thud on the back would be the right amount of cush. It may end up just being something that I revert to for epics. We'll see.

Long story short, rigid is very fun. The big wheels make it even more feasible than with 26 inch wheels. Throw in some passive suspension components made of Ti or CF, and it may just the ticket for you.

·
single speeder
53 Posts
Just my 2 cents, for what its worth. I'm in South Carolina and ride technical trails with lots of roots and rocks, so I'm not sure the terrain is similar to where you're at, but I just took my first ride on a 29er yesterday and I'm sold on them. I'll probably never buy another 26er. I was riding a 26" Monocog SS until a week before Xmas when I hit a tree and injured my shoulder. I bought an On One Inbred 29er SS while recuperating (see pics near bottom of page 4 of the 'lurkers' thread). After not riding for 4 weeks and with a shoulder that is not 100%, I rode my usual route that has a good bit of climbing and it was EASY. The rigid carbon fork made the ride a little rougher than the 26er with a suspension fork, but not nearly as rough as the 26er with a rigid fork. The bigger wheels just rolled over the rocks and roots that used to pound the front wheel of the 26er. I have a 32-18 on the 29er and ran a 32-16 on the 26er, which is close to the same gearing considering the wheel size difference. The gear on the 29er felt like it was a tooth easier to push though. I had read about the differences between 26ers and 29ers and it seemed compelling enough for me to take the plunge and I'm glad I did. One ride on the trail was all it took to confirm that 29" is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
bike supremacist said:
Welcome! Like everyone has said I echo ride one first. We all know you'll end up with one but try it first. That said I vote for the El Mariachi, but yes, there is a weight difference. If you have the money you might think about a custom, MANY amazing builders here on the front range (I must say I favor Black Sheep...but truly too many good builders out there to at least not consider the idea for a full rigid).
Also, if you had a ti fork all rigid will work better in your area too (IMHO), I ride those trails daily (this month is an exception) and they will give quite a beating on a full rigid (I have a full rigid rig myself, you can get used to it fast as the rigid is the only bike I ride). Many of the MSC races would work well full rigid for sure. Winter Park comes as a happy medium (after WR, Apex, Dakota...), um...sort of...on extended, constant climbs like offered in WP make rigid a good option. Good luck, have fun with the search!:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.