Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Chilling out
6,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, got the kitchen pass to spend first part of October in Fruita / GJ / Moab. So I'm deep into planning. Me and a couple friends from A-town are coming to invade.

I live in Austin TX so don't have a lot of direct knowledge of the trails out there. Been to Moab twice and loved it, but want to expand and see some more new stuff.

Love technical trails, long LONG rides are just peachy ( if it goes 6-8 hours I'm okay with that ).

So, any suggestions?

( he he he )

Desert stuff - natch, Horsethief and nearby trails sounds fun. Bookcliffs too. Joes's Ridge sounds like a hoot.

What about higher elevation stuff - I've no clue what's "reasonable" to go do if I'm staying in Fruita.

And yes, 'Scary and 'Speedster you're welcome ( and expected ) to chime in.

[ One thing that drives me nutz is spending 2-3 hours in the mornings on a bike vaca with the group going "where today?" ... I will NOT have that this year as it's MY vaca. :D ]

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
invaders will be repelled with extreme prejudice

Me and a couple friends from A-town are coming to invade.

If I was the one coming from Texass up to where Texassans are pretty much universally disliked, I sure would have found a more friendly way to announce my imminent presence in these here parts. "Invade" makes me want to grab my scattergun and prepare for some shootin'.

·
Chilling out
6,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bulC said:
If I was the one coming from Texass up to where Texassans are pretty much universally disliked
Wow, not the reaction I would have hoped for. :(

Does help if I say "pretty please?"

I'm not cluessly asking for any trails that are off the books that you want to keep to yourselves, I totally respect that, I'm just asking for opinions based upon published works ( like the trail listings here ).

Feels like I'm getting hit with Ugly American Tourist syndrome that I swam against the current with the whole time I lived in Germany.

Wierd.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
maybe the Germans aren't to blame?

bear said:
Wow, not the reaction I would have hoped for. :(

Does help if I say "pretty please?"

I'm not cluessly asking for any trails that are off the books that you want to keep to yourselves, I totally respect that, I'm just asking for opinions based upon published works ( like the trail listings here ).

Feels like I'm getting hit with Ugly American Tourist syndrome that I swam against the current with the whole time I lived in Germany.

Wierd.
I think the concept of "invaders" coming to "soil" one's environs would be repugnent to just about anyone.
"Guests" coming to "experience" or maybe "enjoy" the same area has a much more positive connotation.
Quite literally, Texans have a deserved reputation around here for trashing and "soiling" the envionment. I recall the yahoo 4-wheeler jeepers some years back that decided they'd just do their driving cross country, off the dirt road, up in the fragile tundra above timberline. Ended up stuck on like a 60 degree side slope and a big crowd from Silverton marched up there daily to watch them struggle and to laugh and mock them as idiots.

·
Model of Grace and Tact
422 Posts
bulC said:
I think the concept of "invaders" coming to "soil" one's environs would be repugnent to just about anyone.
"Guests" coming to "experience" or maybe "enjoy" the same area has a much more positive connotation.
Quite literally, Texans have a deserved reputation around here for trashing and "soiling" the envionment. I recall the yahoo 4-wheeler jeepers some years back that decided they'd just do their driving cross country, off the dirt road, up in the fragile tundra above timberline. Ended up stuck on like a 60 degree side slope and a big crowd from Silverton marched up there daily to watch them struggle and to laugh and mock them as idiots.
Jesus, what a cum sponge. He's coming here to mtn. bike not jeep.

Most of the damage I've seen around the GJ/Fruita area has come from the local ******** in their pickups and dirtbikes, not Texans.

·
Chilling out
6,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bulC said:
... "invaders" coming to "soil" ..
Probably poor word choice on my part but I'm accustomed to people having thicker skins on these mostly-unmoderated boards, sorry if I pushed your button as that is not what was intended.

I always consider myself a guest of a region where I don't live. Witness never having issues travelling in Europe ( including France ) when I was in the Army in the 80's in spite of the aformentioned stereotyping of US travellers.

I'd certainly not be one to come mash on the land, I appreciate it and the wildlife therein existing much too much.

I do sincerely believe though that the Texans that have piqued the ire of Colorado residents are so numerically inferior to the actual populates in either place that I can suggest that maybe some more stereotyping is still going on ... just not internationally.

There's a LOT of good people down here, not that I'm native here either ( much like you're not native CO - in fact I believe we're both formerly of the Mid-Atlantic region ), it is horribly unfair to pre-judge everyone like that, even the morons who unintentionally use inflammatory wording.

... big crowd from Silverton marched up there daily to watch them struggle and to laugh and mock them as idiots ...
Now that's what I call silly. Sure, they were morons for getting into that position ( I think I recall reading about that and mocking them from down here too ) but I hope they were getting some kind of help to get out of the predicament and not just finger pointing.

Would be the only neighborly thing to do.

*sigh*

This thread has gone nowhere near hoped, abandoning.

Keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
bulC said:
Me and a couple friends from A-town are coming to invade.

If I was the one coming from Texass up to where Texassans are pretty much universally disliked, I sure would have found a more friendly way to announce my imminent presence in these here parts. "Invade" makes me want to grab my scattergun and prepare for some shootin'.
Get a thicker skin before you go out on the internet.

Or, to quote Hamlet, "Words, words, words." Read into them what you will, but there's talk of mountain biking going on here. And the Bear is one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. I plan on crossing over from the Phront Wrange to join in these festivities.

Other are welcome to stay home and be reactionary curmudgeons.

It's odd that in the same sentence that you demand civility, you belittle all Texans and rate them as second class citizens. I guess you demand more than you are willing to give. Sad, that. There's good folks from all over.

·
Banned
824 Posts
Scary Mc said:
Most of the damage I've seen around the GJ/Fruita area has come from the local ******** in their pickups and dirtbikes, not Texans.
It sounds like you think that you've lived here for years, but you haven't. How do you know who exactly has been doing the damage you have seen in your limited amount of time here? Have you been logging license plates and/or interviewing those you see creating damage? Also if they truly are "local", how do you know where they are from originally?

·
Model of Grace and Tact
422 Posts
J.D. said:
It sounds like you think that you've lived here for years, but you haven't. How do you know who exactly has been doing the damage you have seen in your limited amount of time here? Have you been logging license plates and/or interviewing those you see creating damage? Also if they truly are "local", how do you know where they are from originally?
I'm sorry your Localness. I should have added "in the short time I've been here". :rolleyes:

Do you have an official 'Local Quiz' that I can have folks fill out?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Lol

Scary Mc said:
I'm sorry your Localness. I should have added "in the short time I've been here". :rolleyes:

Do you have an official 'Local Quiz' that I can have folks fill out?
You Colorado boyz are a Frickin riot :p

We have a group coming to "Invade", I mean visit, next week in Durango then CB. How has the weather been, looks like some evening thunder storms?

Been sure and forward me that "Quiz", so us outsiders can be up to speed. ;)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
J.D. said:
Here's the irony.

The irony is here:

I've ridden with both Scary and J.D. they'd get along pretty well.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
KCC said:
You Colorado boyz are a Frickin riot :p

We have a group coming to "Invade", I mean visit, next week in Durango then CB. How has the weather been, looks like some evening thunder storms?

Been sure and forward me that "Quiz", so us outsiders can be up to speed. ;)
Weather's been great in Dgo - If you don't mind an hour of hail and rain in the afternoon. The rain usually hits from 1:30 to 3pm give or take.

The trails are in prime condition, and the temps are perfect.

The "Locals" who get pissed at the "tourists" who tear up the trail are usually jackazzes that moved to Colorado a year ago, bought a Kayak, MTB and climbing gear, put a bunch of stickers on their cars, and wash your dishes at the local diners. They're usually either too young or just too stupid to understand that their dishwashing job wouldn't even be available if it weren't for the droves of tourists that invade every year.

The real locals don't worry about it - we just don't go downtown between June and September. We go up to the high country.

Here's the quiz -

1) Q:How long have you lived here
A: Wrong - multiply that number by 3 and tell everyone that.

2) Q: What kind of car do you drive?
A: Wrong - sell it, buy a Subaru Outback or Exterra, and crack the windshield.

3) Q: What kind of bike / Kayak do you ride?
A: Wrong - buy a rack, mount all your gear on your car, and leave it there - all the time - so everyone can see how much more outdoorsy you are than everyone else.

4) Q: What kind of beer do you drink?
A: Wrong - you drink the local microbrew - and you tell everyone how much better it is than anything else... ever.

5) Q: What is your bachelors degree / PHD in?
A: Wrong - it doesn't matter. Shut up and wash those dishes like everyone else.

6) Q: Where's your house?
A: Wrong - even if you had a real job, you couldn't afford to buy a house - you live with 5 other people named Dave. You all wash dishes together to afford your mountain lifestyle and pay for your weed..

7) Q: What kind of music do you listen to?
A: Wrong - you listen to some crappy local hippie band that plays the same bars every Saturday. They have Bongos - all the best bands have Bongos.

·
Model of Grace and Tact
422 Posts
forkboy said:
Here's the quiz -

1) Q:How long have you lived here
A: Wrong - multiply that number by 3 and tell everyone that.

2) Q: What kind of car do you drive?
A: Wrong - sell it, buy a Subaru Outback or Exterra, and crack the windshield.

3) Q: What kind of bike / Kayak do you ride?
A: Wrong - buy a rack, mount all your gear on your car, and leave it there - all the time - so everyone can see how much more outdoorsy you are than everyone else.

4) Q: What kind of beer do you drink?
A: Wrong - you drink the local microbrew - and you tell everyone how much better it is than anything else... ever.

5) Q: What is your bachelors degree / PHD in?
A: Wrong - it doesn't matter. Shut up and wash those dishes like everyone else.

6) Q: Where's your house?
A: Wrong - even if you had a real job, you couldn't afford to buy a house - you live with 5 other people named Dave. You all wash dishes together to afford your mountain lifestyle and pay for your weed..

7) Q: What kind of music do you listen to?
A: Wrong - you listen to some crappy local hippie band that plays the same bars every Saturday. They have Bongos - all the best bands have Bongos.
LMFAO! Good work Fork Boy!

·
Chilling out
6,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Singlespeedster said:
Here's the irony.

The irony is here:

That's one of the crazier aspects to this online stuff, I've seen a number of people almost go postal ( if not closer than almost ) online, yet get along terrifically IRL.

That is, until they find out that their online nemesis is present, then sometimes it becomes awkward.

Wierd.

·
Banned
824 Posts
irony

Singlespeedster said:
Here's the irony.

The irony is here:

You are entitled to your opinion on that matter, A. Personally, I find him a tad boring and the extent of riding with him will probably be passing by on a trail. This time of the year, that is even more unlikely because he seems to just want to sit and ask others if Turkey Flats is rideable instead of going up to see for himself. yawn

·
Model of Grace and Tact
422 Posts
J.D. said:
This time of the year, that is even more unlikely because he seems to just want to sit and ask others if Turkey Flats is rideable instead of going up to see for himself. yawn
Pardon me for not wanting to drive 40 minutes to again find the trails to muddy to ride....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts