Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Wife and I will be in the Newport area during the second week in March. I was planning on toting the bike along if there are some decent rides w/i and hour's drive or so. Can someone make some suggestions? or should I leave the ride at home?

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Bring it!

There are many rides within an hour or so from Newport Beach. What type of riding do you prefer?

·
Registered
335 Posts
The easiest thing would be to ride El Moro. It is right on the coast between Newport and Laguna Beach. There is a TON of riding there.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Let's see...

Rides within an hours drive....

-San Juan Trail and most of the Santa Ana Mountain range including other trails like Blackstar, Maple Springs, Harding Truck Trail, Santiago Truck Trail, Holy Jim and Trabuco.
-El Moro State Park
-Laguna Wilderness Area
-Aliso & Woods Canyons
-Peter's Canyon
-Santiago Oaks
-O'Neil Park

There is a ton of good XC riding on all of the above mentioned parks.
What style of riding are you looking for?
Where are you from?
How many hours are you planning for a ride?

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
bring it!

check out some of andy's trails on geoladders and let us know what you're interested in riding. the trails should be in great shape by then. i'd be up for playing tour guide if you need one.

doug

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coming from AZ (Mesa/Phoenix Area). I'll be there from the 12th through 19th with my family in tow, so I'm not sure how much or when I'll be able to ride. I'm thinking Tuesday and/or Thursday.

I like mostly aggressive XC kinda stuff. I ride South Mountain here a lot (big climbs and big rocks) and lots of other rocky mountain type trails.

I was there a couple years ago ad rode somethings near Ramona, great riding and some tough climbs! Great stuff!

El Moro Canyon looks interesting (not a fan of the $10 entry fee) but the trails look like they might be nice.

As much as I'd like to an all day ride is most likely out of the question. Family needs and all.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Andy aka Rut said:
Let's see...

Rides within an hours drive....

-San Juan Trail and most of the Santa Ana Mountain range including other trails like Blackstar, Maple Springs, Harding Truck Trail, Santiago Truck Trail, Holy Jim and Trabuco.
-El Moro State Park
-Laguna Wilderness Area
-Aliso & Woods Canyons
-Peter's Canyon
-Santiago Oaks
-O'Neil Park

There is a ton of good XC riding on all of the above mentioned parks.
What style of riding are you looking for?
Where are you from?
How many hours are you planning for a ride?
You forgot Whiting Ranch to SST to Luge and back to Whiting!

·
Registered
380 Posts
El Moro is super fun and right there on the coast. But it is mostly fire road

El Moro would is closer and cooler - but i think you might like Santiago Oaks or Aliso better if you like more aggressive riding.

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
there are a number of technical XC trails in el moro and laguna coast wilderness (they're connected), although many aren't on the official maps...and there's free parking from the ridge park dr. entrance (off of newport coast dr.).

i can be out there by 3:45 during the week if you wanna check it out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First, thanks to all that sent PM asking and inviting me to ride. You guys ROCK!

In keeping with something that is near the family I decided to ride El Moro Canyon. I was able to ride out from the hotel directly, which made this a winner for me on a tight schedule.
I had some trouble finding myself on the map, until I saw the pop rivet and made the jump,.. duh!

Some great views from the top of the mountains,..

·
Registered
335 Posts
Glad you were able to get in a nice ride... btw, I rode SOUTH MOUNTAIN two weeks ago. Good times!

So you take off on the 19th? too bad, there is an access day at a local park that is usually closed to bikes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts