Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All - Great thread...thanks.
I am coming to North Scottsdale next week for a few days. Set up an Anthem FS from AOA and thinking of the McDowells. Looking for a 4-5 hour fast and flowy ride. Dont want to kill myself on huge rock drops (my first time riding in desert). Good? I also want to be within a 30 min drive from N. Scottsdale!!!! ;)

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Better bring a light and start suuuuper early if you want to ride that long. Although it was cooler today. Only got up to about 110 degrees.

McDowells are good. Trail 100 is good too (so I hear), and I like riding the trails in Cave Creek (Very close to North Scottsdale, depending on where exactly you'll be.

I might be game to ride. But I am not game for no stinkin' 4-5 hour heat stroke fest. lol

·
No Clue Crew
7,084 Posts
Yep, you'll need to rethink your ride expectations if you're not acclimated to the heat. Unless there's some sort of radical temperature inversion next week, you'll want to be off-trail around 8 a.m.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok - So, I am going to reset my expectations. Ill be up at 530 and out the door...I am not acclimated to the hear (at least not while riding - I come from Canada - jeez...)
If I do Mcdowell on day 1 - what is proximate to that distance for day 2? Cave Creek?

Thanks all for your comments - hate being the newbie freak! ;0

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Cave Creek can be whatever you make it. We did a 14 mile loop last night on the group ride and it took me about 1:45. About 1,000 feet elevation gain. It was 105 degrees at the start of the ride (7:00) and 101 by the end. (8:45)

I just moved here from Florida, so the heat doesn't bother me. But the climbs sure do! lol

If you're in town on Wednesday, come on out for the group ride. Great group of folks, great ride, and great food afterward. We meet at Flat Tire Bike Shop in Cave Creek around 6:30 and roll out at 7.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice guys...If you are riding those trails later in the day and see me flat out - you know i didnt listen very well! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yo guys. Did McDowell competitive stuff this am. Was there around 6am. Was cool. Nice track. I'll be back tomorrow too. Thanks all for the advice

1 - 13 of 13 Posts