Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
white boy extraordinaire
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming to Chattanooga for some riding next weekend (July 31-Aug 1)and was wanting to get some suggestions for riding within a 30-45 minute drive. I would like something long and Really fun. It looks like Chilowhee(?) is fun and you can link some trails together there for good times. How does one get there? I've been to www.chattbike.com and checked out the trail descriptions but I think I missed the directions to the trailhead.

If anyone wants to ride, feel free to show me around. I'm a game intermediate just looking for some sweet singletrack while visiting family. First round of beer is on me afterwards.

·
Upgrade Addict
240 Posts
Go to Chilhowee for sure

That is your best long ride option within about 45 minutes. There are some several trails that are closer but nothing is as good as Chilhowee. All you do is get on 75 north to 64 Bypass East Exit. I think that is exit 20 but I am not 100% sure. Follow signs for the Cherokee National Forest/Ocoee Whitewater Center. Once you get out of the Cleveland area and start getting close to the river you'll start seeing all the rafting places. You will be looking for the sign on the left for Chilhowee campground. (I think there is a forest service building right there, too.) Follow that road up to the top of Chilhowee Mtn and park in the lot. The Chattbike trail maps will take you from there. Tons of options.

·
white boy extraordinaire
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much, now anyone want to ride?

14-17 miles of Chilowhee Mtn fun? 31st or 1st of Aug? I'm not slow but I'm not fast , just like to have fun.

·
2,548 Posts
I'm gonna be down that way tomorrow (driving down tonight from Maryville) for a day of fun raftin' the Ocoee...unFORtunately, neither my wife nor the couple we're going with are into mtbing, so looks like no riding there this time, anyways......one day, fior sure (it's supposedly less than 2 hour drive from here...we'll see tonight :) )

·
It's not what you think.
477 Posts
cmweldon said:
14-17 miles of Chilowhee Mtn fun? 31st or 1st of Aug? I'm not slow but I'm not fast , just like to have fun.
I'll be there on the 31st (Sat) around 8:45-9AM. I ride Chilhowie at least once a month and love it! I'll be parked at the lower lot (Clemmer trail). To ge there you'll go past the sign for Chilhowie campground and look for hwy 30 to the left, lake will be on your right. After that left you take the first left (100ft) and you're in the parking lot. Red toyota tacoma.

Scott

·
white boy extraordinaire
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My trip got cancelled last minute

I am now coming Labor Day weekend. If anyone is up for a ride at Chilowhee, I'm game.

·
white boy extraordinaire
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone up for riding this sunday?

I made it to town and will be riding over by the Ocoee tomorrow. ~18 miles, early morning ride. It just keeps getting better as I go along doesn't it? ;-)

·
white boy extraordinaire
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks

I ended up waking up super early and rode the Tanasi trail system by the WWC. I did the fifteen mile loop on www.chattbike.com and it was really fun. Sweet singletrack. I look forward to coming back again. Is there anything else of that caliber in the area?

thanks

·
Registered
426 Posts
Did you check out the Brush Creek trail? It starts from the Boyd Gap overlook car park a mile or so further up the road towards Murphy. It is only about 8 miles long, but is sweet it flows beautifully, ride it out and back or take the road back to the parkign lot and drop down the Boyd Gap trail and Old Copper Rd to the WWC.

There is also some good riding at Chillhowie a few miles further down the river, ride up Clemmer from the bottom near Hwy 30 and have a screaming descent back down.

Furrner

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I just looked in this forum for the first time today. Shoot me a line next time you hit Chattanooga. We can show you stuff closer to town that you can put in about 12 miles on within 15 minutes of downtown (Edwards Point). You should really check out Chilhowee still it is just as much fun as Tanasi.

Definitely Check out Brush CReek at the WWC too it is one of my Favorites. We usually park at the WWC, ride up Boyds Gap, around Brush Creek, Back to the WWC and then up Bear Paw ot Riverview to Chestnut, to Thunderrock and back. Gives us 30 miles if you are up for a long ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts