Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here it is, sometime around 4:30am and I'm awake with restless legs. Rode for about 2hrs, nothing unusual, hardtail on pavement for 30mi or so. Have done this bunches of times.

Got home before 9pm, got to bed around midnight; takes forever to fall asleep. Tried massaging my legs, propping them up, stretching- nothing helps.:madmax:

Aside from Ambien or a muscle relaxant, any suggestions on how to relax? Besides earlier rides, as the evenings are so much cooler.....and I'm not a morning person despite what time it is now :rolleyes:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sometimes I'll run a really hot bath, turn off the lights so theres just a nightlight and put on some headphones. After soaking for a half hour or so it's easy to pass out. I've had a few times it worked too well and woke up pruned and shivering a few hours later though.:eek:

·
Registered
155 Posts
If I ride too late - I have the same problem. I get mentally and physically amped every time I ride. Here are some things that have helped me:
Ride earlier when it is an option.
Hot shower, eat, and then about an hour of TV.
A glass of red wine after my meal.
Rent a movie.
Some herbal tea and nice music.
It is all about gearing down. I have found if I come in and shower and then go straight to bed - sleep will not happen. Find yourself a wind-down ritual.
Good luck

·
Registered
633 Posts
I allow four hours after physical activity (especially intense one) intense one before going to bed ..

It actually works out like this on it's own, by the time I drive home from the trails, shower, eat (twice), cook, do laundry... the time is up.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've never experienced what I would call "restless" legs after any 2hr. ride, no matter how easy it was. So I don't know what you mean by, "restless legs". Assuming it means that they want to keep moving after a ride, it might be an adrenalin thing; you're not giving them what they want. If the problem is muscle inflammation, have you tried ice baths? These help me after a hot day. I fill the tub 1/4 or enough to cover my legs with cold water, sit in it a minute to acclimate, then add several cooler-style gel ice packs and soak the legs in it for 15-20 minutes. It begins to feel really good after the first 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Sorry for the late post to this topic but I really recommend a Homeopathic tablet called Calms Forte. Look for it at health food stores. No side effects and it will help you relax and sleep better than ever. 2-3 tabs will do the trick.

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Calms Forte? Is that a Performance Bike brand? :)

By the way, Melatonin is what your brain produces in order to induce sleep. I'm not sure this is something that can be found in tablets or whatever, now is it?

·
Registered
175 Posts
ZMA- Zinc Magnesium Aspartate is a supplement commonly available at any health food store it will definitely help you sleep and is supposed to provide some muscle building benefit as well. I take it for the sleep thing though, as I experience the same problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.