Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
RAKC
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been more or less down for pushing a year and a half. Major shoulder surgery. Had to sell all but one bikes which was my fat bike (kept the one that was year round and built 29+ wheels for gravel/path/road).

Now that the mess is over and amazing new job, saving for a new bike. Trail bike I sold was a Cannondale BOTE (God I miss that bike) to give you an idea what I prefer.

I am up to speed on components and all that jazz. Except for rear shocks anyway.

Know basically what I want but the pickings have decreased. First is it's time for Full squish! But I'm a clyde which has me hesitating on options I have found.

Second is wheel size, not debatable, B+ (26+ isn't mainstream or I would consider that). I tried 29+ plenty, don't care for it. I have a fat bike if I want that riding feel.

Frame needs to fit 27.5x 2.8 at least. True 3.0 would be better if tires are still mass produced but that's not required.

And Clyde approved suspension, trek fuel/remedy was my first thoughts but their suspension is a pain for us fat ppl. And I will never be "fit" by standards.

Not spending 5k+ on a new bike but beyond that I have no issues "paying to play".

Frame only I can build to my preferred specs works as well.

Thanks guys, nice to be back and have time to ride again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,890 Posts

GG Shred Dogg

- 27 x 2.8" tires [possibly more as GG tends to be a bit conservative on clearance]
- Made in the US carbon frame Ride 2 build kit for ~$3.6K
- definitely clyde approved
- you can buy frame only or frame and some parts + whatever parts you want to add to the mix

https://ridegg.com/shreddogg

They also have a long travel option that fits 27 x 2.8" tires if that's more your style.

https://ridegg.com/megatrail

I'm riding a 2018 metal GG Smash 29er and my GF is waiting for her 2019 carbon GG Smash to show up. So we are pretty happy with the way GG bikes perform. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
727 Posts

GG Shred Dogg

- 27 x 2.8" tires [possibly more as GG tends to be a bit conservative on clearance]
- Made in the US carbon frame Ride 2 build kit for ~$3.6K
- definitely clyde approved
- you can buy frame only or frame and some parts + whatever parts you want to add to the mix

https://ridegg.com/shreddogg

They also have a long travel option that fits 27 x 2.8" tires if that's more your style.

https://ridegg.com/megatrail

I'm riding a 2018 metal GG Smash 29er and my GF is waiting for her 2019 carbon GG Smash to show up. So we are pretty happy with the way GG bikes perform.
+10000%

I have a GG Trail Pistol (29+) and my girlfriend has a Shred Dogg (27.5+). Ours are the aluminum frames. She runs a 27.5 x 2.8 front and rear. I'm pretty sure she loves the bike more than me.

You also cannot beat the value for Guerrilla gravity. You get to customize each component and save money where you want to. We got XT drivetrain and brakes. We then upgraded to the MRP ribbon air fork and i35mm rims. The rear shock and everything else was left standard.

Her bike was well under five grand. There was no way we could have touched that in any other brand for close to six or seven Grand.

Here is a picture of the MRP ribbon with a 27.5 x 2.8 dhf. Plenty of clearance all the way around.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
RAKC
7,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok their frame sizing info is a bit of a pain in the rear (at least from my phone).

I ride XL frames mostly, some like Kona run big so L is good. My mukluk and BOTE I sold both XL frames.

GG size has me at size 3 (which numbers look more like a normal L frame).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,890 Posts
Ok their frame sizing info is a bit of a pain in the rear (at least from my phone).

I ride XL frames mostly, some like Kona run big so L is good. My mukluk and BOTE I sold both XL frames.

GG size has me at size 3 (which numbers look more like a normal L frame).
GG is very helpful and they have fit a lot of people to their bikes so I would contact them and get their opinion. A number of their staff are larger riders.

I'm 5'11" and ride a medium in the 2018 Smash. In the 2019 Smash I'd ride a Size 3 with the headset in the short position. I could probably ride the Size 2 in the long position as well. My GF at 5'6" is getting a Size 2 run in the short position.

The adjustable headset is great since it allows you to adjust the frame by a halfsize to fine tune the fit or even for say trail bike days vs. bike park days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.