Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I ended 2007s season on a BR, traded it for a Blindside and rode it for the 2008 season. Sold it almost at the end of the end of the 2008 season and bought a Morewood Izimu.

I enjoyed all of the bikes and obviously moved more toward DH race rigs. I recently put the Izimu up for sale and I just had an offer to trade it for a 2008 Bottlerocket. I think I might go for it. I don't race and I'm finding I like the flowy jumpy trails more than the gnarly stuff. The BR is the right tool for that stuff.

Now here's my only hesitation. I'm 5'8" and the frame I'm looking at is a Medium. Now I do have short legs and a long torso so I'm thinking this might actually feel a bit better than the Small that I previously had. What do ya'll think?

If it happens I'll be stoked to be back on the TBC train.

·
Registered
277 Posts
GEOMETRY (540mm axle-crown)
Small Medium Large
Reach 394.0mm 408.5mm 433.6mm
Stack 582.0mm 582.0mm 582.0mm

Your looking at a fairly minimal trade in the reach. I don't think you are going to really notice much except for in the wheelbase and control department. The fact of the matter is according to transitions geometry specs your looking at pretty much the same bike between small medium and large vertically, the differences come in the horizontal.

Stem and bar sizing make up for a big difference.

·
I'm more of a dog person
864 Posts
I'm 5'8" with SL and LT as well and ride a small BR. if i was riding the bike more for trails and pedaling, i def would have bought a med as the TT is too short to be comfortable climbing without stretching the cockpit. since i use the bike primarily for SS/FR, the shorter WB of the small provides much better manueverability. so it depends what youre looking for.

longer WB = better stability
shorter WB = more flickable

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unclekittykiller said:
I'm 5'8" with SL and LT as well and ride a small BR. if i was riding the bike more for trails and pedaling, i def would have bought a med as the TT is too short to be comfortable climbing without stretching the cockpit. since i use the bike primarily for SS/FR, the shorter WB of the small provides much better manueverability. so it depends what youre looking for.

longer WB = better stability
shorter WB = more flickable
I'll be using it for everything but mostly DH/FR at the parks. The small that I had felt too twitchy to me in that type of riding so I think the slightly longer WB and TT will feel great. Like I said, the reach and stack of my Izimu was 0.22" shorter and 0.17" taller and I loved the feel of it's cockpit. What I didn't like was the long WB/Chainstays on the Izimu. The BR tucks the back end in nicely and will have a shorter WB. The reach and stack differences can be adjusted with different stems, bars and/or headset spacers.

I know it won't be quite as flickable as the small but I think I'll like the longer WB and after coming off of an 8" travel DH race frame with 17.33" chainstays, a 65* HTA and a 45.1" WB, the Med. BR should feel pretty taught. I'm also getting a 1/2" lower BB WOOT!

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
wow man, back to the BR eh? crazy.....

just be cautious cause the things you didnt like about the BR are still going to be there. i owned a medium and it still felt twitchy at high speed.

maybe you should look into a Dirtbag or wait for the new BR to come out.

you could save up and get an intense SS. best bike i have owned. but this is a transition forum so see line above.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There wasn't much I didn't like about it honestly. Upgradeitis always had me thinking I needed more travel or needed a boutique frame to be happy but it turns out that wasn't the case. I'm sure the SS is sweet but that's some crazy scratch that I just don't have right now. The new BR is rumored to have what, 6" of travel? Meh I can very happily live with the old BR for now. Too late anyway the frames are packed and ready to be shipped tomorrow.

Dirtbags are a bit too tall for me. I'm thinking that an Uzzi might be in my future but not this season, unless I win some poker tourney or something ;). I really have to stop worrying about "the next best thing" and enjoy the ride more. Bottom line is that the BR, while a tiny bit heavy and not as plush as a VPP plow bike is still a damn good platform that does a ton of things right.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
combatkimura said:
There wasn't much I didn't like about it honestly. Upgradeitis always had me thinking I needed more travel or needed a boutique frame to be happy but it turns out that wasn't the case. I'm sure the SS is sweet but that's some crazy scratch that I just don't have right now. The new BR is rumored to have what, 6" of travel? Meh I can very happily live with the old BR for now. Too late anyway the frames are packed and ready to be shipped tomorrow.

Dirtbags are a bit too tall for me. I'm thinking that an Uzzi might be in my future but not this season, unless I win some poker tourney or something ;). I really have to stop worrying about "the next best thing" and enjoy the ride more. Bottom line is that the BR, while a tiny bit heavy and not as plush as a VPP plow bike is still a damn good platform that does a ton of things right.
yeah i hear 6 inches of travel and a pound lighter which would be nice.

The new uzzi truly looks like a do everything machine. if i didn't already have a Slopestyle and a socom i would get the uzzi for sure. Im not made of money either, thats what ebay is for. SS and Socom frames go for 1200-1500.

im sure you will enjoy the BR again. it was a fun bike. if i lived somewhere with mostly smooth trails and jumps everywhere i would have kept mine. only a few trails are smooth around here though. i wanted something a little better for the rocks and 1 extra inch and vpp solved it perfectly without sacrificing any jumpability.

·
NICE KID...NICE
717 Posts
First off Combat...

I have to thank you... you have single-handedly given me 3 or 4 quotes that I have used for my signature on MTBR. The best and latest is..."I really have to stop worrying about "the next best thing" and enjoy the ride more.". AND>>> now I finally have my New Years resalution. On of the smartest things I have seen posted on this site. Those are truely, words to live by in my opinion.

Now... as far as the BR goes. There is not much imput that I can give that has not been posted here already. And there is even less I can add that will compair to hours of cockpit time you already have on a BR.

What fork will you be running if you do pick up another BR? 160mm, 180mm, 200mm?

I can say this...I have wanted...ie...lusted...ie... obsested over the BR since the first day I saw the frame in 06 at our shop. I have seen about 5 or 6 setups for that bike. My roommate has a large with a 07 Zoke 66 and a riding buddy had a medium with a 160mm domain 318 and later a air Totem. I am 6'2"...To me the large feels like a freeride bike and the medium felt like a slopestyle/ DJ bike. To me the Geo feels perfect with a large set up at 180mm and the medium set up at 160mm. But that is just my opinion. Good luck with your disicion. No matter how many times you do it, no matter how much information you gather, it is never easy.

Lastly...I would like to be the first to say...Welcome back!

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
climbingbubba said:
wow man, back to the BR eh? crazy.....

just be cautious cause the things you didnt like about the BR are still going to be there. i owned a medium and it still felt twitchy at high speed.
Meh, I'm a big dude on a large and I've never had a problem hanging with my friends on vp frees, glory DH, sunday, DB at high speeds, I've also hung with some serious racers up at snowshoe and on our local trails (Last years #1 and #3 national college DHers live in the area) so I know I'm not going slow.

High speed rock gardens, yeah its not that plush. But as for twitchy, it doesn't seem bad at all to me. Trails up at SS that are fast and flowy like ninja bob or powerline are actually nicer on the BR to me than a longer bike.

Of course mine is 45 lbs, and I've got a fairly heavy wheel/tire combo so I could see a little bit longer wb and all that weight in the wheels helping it feel more stable.

Welcome back, combat. I went through a similar thing last season thinking I needed to add a longer bike to the stable I bought a sunday. Sold it. Fast forward to now, I took the money and put it in an adjustable fork for the BR and some other parts and I think that for everything but straight up DH race it is the superior bike. I love being able to tear up some high speed gravity **** with my friends then crank the fork down and go hit DJs
with the same bike while they're all moaning about their long travel rigs and dual crowns.

·
Registered
645 Posts
climbingbubba said:
yeah i hear 6 inches of travel and a pound lighter which would be nice.

The new uzzi truly looks like a do everything machine. if i didn't already have a Slopestyle and a socom i would get the uzzi for sure. Im not made of money either, thats what ebay is for. SS and Socom frames go for 1200-1500.

im sure you will enjoy the BR again. it was a fun bike. if i lived somewhere with mostly smooth trails and jumps everywhere i would have kept mine. only a few trails are smooth around here though. i wanted something a little better for the rocks and 1 extra inch and vpp solved it perfectly without sacrificing any jumpability.
Hey everybody! The Bottlerocket is not going up in travel, at least not any time soon. to accomdate the extra travel longer chainstays would have been neccesary; which we did not want to do. Or we would have had to add a pretty aggressive bend in the seat tube, which would limit seat adjustment and make life hard for those wanting to run a front derailleur.

So I will go ahead and nip that rumor in the bud - even though we are the ones that started it...

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Ha Ha, At 45 pounds a hardtail would feel stable!!! just playin with ya.

I don't doubt that you are just as fast as your friends. That just goes to show that the person is a big factor and not just the bike. One of my friends used to ride a 4 inch fully and would waste people down DH runs. Does that mean it was the right bike for Gnar DH? no he just rips. sounds like you are in this crazy skilled category. Heck i have even been passed by a couple who had biked up the resort and was bombing back down and he was on a full rigid 29er. i was passing other fully people and he passed us all.

The way i see it is you will never be 100% happy with one bike for every style of riding. I tried so hard to do this but when your BR weighs 35 pounds its pretty good at going up but DOES feel twitchy through rock gardens. When it weighs 45 pounds it would probably suck to pedal uphill.

i have moved on to 2 bikes. an AM/FR 6.5 inch travel rig and a Full DH bike. so far im pretty happy.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
climbingbubba said:
Ha Ha, At 45 pounds a hardtail would feel stable!!! just playin with ya.
You know you're absolutely right, I used to have a rocky mountain flow hardtail that was built up to something like 45-50 and it was a size medium :eek: Its also the only bike I've ever entered a DH race with.

Being 6'3" and somewhere around 220 it seems that any bike that I build up that withstands the abuse ends up heavy as hell. I've just accepted it. I guess my theory is that pedaling uphill sucks anyways so I'll throw on some tunes and just zone out, eventually I get to the top. For me, the adj height fork made a much bigger difference than any weight savings ever have. Crank it down for the climbs, the front end doesn't wander as much, just feels tons better, still can get a little rake to slow that steering down a touch on the descents.

I'm definitely not in the crazy skilled category, but I do firmly believe its the rider not the bike. Shoddy carpenter that blames his tools and all that. That said, you're bang on with the fact that no bike will ever do all styles of riding perfectly, the BR just happens to do all the stuff that I like do (not interested in racing nor in epic XC rides).

Sometimes I forget how well today's purpose-specific bikes perform, I guess I definitely was faster on the sunday- I just wasn't having more fun on it than the BR. I can't knock others choices because in the end, isn't fun the reason we all do this? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, she's comin along. Got the frame on Thursday and put what parts I have that fit on there. Still need wheels, fork, and a stem.

I'm trying to sell my 150mm wheelset which is just an OEM 36 spoke WTB Dual Duty FR/Formula hub combo but no one is buying a damn thing right now. I'm asking hardly anything but not even a bite. I might go with something like an XT or Crossmax SX, if I'm short on funds I'll go with some Outlaws since I get a good deal on them.

I bought a 160mm Domain 302 from Santa Cruz but apparently it was sold out so I'm back to the drawing board. I really want a Lyrik, 36 Van or 36 Float so I'm not too broken up about the Domain.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.