Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Spin-stabilized
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need one next week, probably thursday or friday if not on the weekend. It's my first riding anything in Canada.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
There is only two turns you have to make on that trail and they are both marked.

The only benifit of a guide would be to inform you of just how far you are from halfway.

·
Spin-stabilized
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't know... I just thought someone might want to show a Whistler newbie around. I didn't know if it was well signed or not. Looks like it's easy to follow. I know that you Canadians have 100x bigger balls than your neighbors in the south when it comes to riding but I think I can handle Comfortably Numb:D .

Anyway, thanks.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
bailout said:
I don't know... I just thought someone might want to show a Whistler newbie around. I didn't know if it was well signed or not. Looks like it's easy to follow. I know that you Canadians have 100x bigger balls than your neighbors in the south when it comes to riding but I think I can handle Comfortably Numb:D .

Anyway, thanks.
Be ready for a long ride. The sign at the start says 4-7hrs and it isn't kidding. A good XC racer does it under 3hrs, but that is going really hard.

·
Mtbr member
102 Posts
I rode it solo a couple of summers ago in exactly 3 hrs at a fast, steady pace. I had no trouble following the route, but took a GPS in case. The funny thing was that I didn't see any other riders on the trail that day. I suppose that's why it used to be called the Secret Trail.

I recommend being dropped off at the start (or having two cars) or it's a long spin on the road afterwards. Rocky's map shows the route nicely, but the start sign was a bit hidden in the bush.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you have the opportunity, ride Kill Me Thrill Me (across the highway...) as an acid test. If you like the trail, can ride it comfortably, then it's game on for CN.

Built by the same guy, similar trail style (kinda). Now picture CN being 4-6x as long as KMTM...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
will be there starting Thursday 3rd

bailout said:
I need one next week, probably thursday or friday if not on the weekend. It's my first riding anything in Canada.
Thanks!
It looks like the starting point is quite a way from Whistler Village. Is that true? If so, is there a bus or something that can take you to the trailhead?

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Brah said:
It looks like the starting point is quite a way from Whistler Village. Is that true? If so, is there a bus or something that can take you to the trailhead?
About 11-12km from the north end of the Village parking area on the paved road to get to the north end of the trail head. A good warmup on the road for the climbing. :D

·
Spin-stabilized
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just rode it yesterday. Truly an epic and awesome trail! You locals are so lucky! For the person that is wondering about which direction to ride it, the answer is definitely North to South. There are a lot of steep drop-ins near the southern end that will be a pain and a waste to hike up. Better to ride down them IMO.

The road ride TO the northern trailhead is not that bad and only takes about 20-30 minutes from the village. It gets a little hairy with busy morning commuter traffic on the fast corners though. I chose to ride on the other side of the barrier instead of the shoulder when possible.

Trailfinding wasn't hard at all. I did see what everyone means about the trail being hard. All the bike shops told me that it was not the trail to ride if you want to have some fun. I even got a puzzled "Why?" from one guy when I asked about renting a bike to ride CN. I appreciate all the caution offered though. I would never take a beginner to this trail and expect him/her to ride the whole enchilada. It reminds me of a local ride that I dubbed the longest 14 miles of my life (Grouse Ridge, CA area). The embeded rocks and roots really slow things down. It seemed like forever before I got to the halfway point that I thought I missed it. The weather yesterday was super gloomy too and added to my anxiety and built up fear of the unknown. Everything started being super fun again though as soon as I heard some other folks behind me. It's amazing how some company lifts your spirits. I seemed to have lost them though as I never heard/saw them again after waiting for a couple minutes or so and got moving again. I think I like the section after the half way point the best. I think it's because it's mostly downhill:D .

Anyway, it took me about 6 hours from the Village and back. I stopped a bunch to take some poser timed photos. I couldn't help it. As much as I wanted to get going and keep riding I had to stop and take souvenir shots from this wonderful trail that I might never get to ride for a looooooooooong time. Again, awesome trail!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.