Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those that missed the first thread, I was thinking of building a tough road bike to ride on the mean streets of las vegas. There were some ideas kicked around, but this is what I came up with:

Crappy aluminum Caloi MTB frame that was sitting in my garage for years
XT crankset from my FS with all but big ring removed
Wheels SSK3 conversion kit which is a chainguide+spacers+cog.
Surly 1x1 fork, plenty of steerer left for upright seating
1.75" tires on mavic crossrocs
Cane creek S3
Thompson elite stem
WTB laser V Ti rail seat.
XT v-brakes
Gear ratio is 44/16

As you can see in the pics the chain tension is the last thing that needs doing. A wonderful fellow SSer from this board is mailing me one so it should be complete shortly.

I did take it for a quick spin. Not too bad of a ratio actually. It will spin out on the flats but I'm going at a pretty good clip by the time it does. Big time improvement over my 32/18 MTB. The seating position is AWESOME! Its a comfort bike with balls. I didn't get a chance to try a decent hill because the chain skips when you put any power to it due to the slack. I think it will give me plenty of miles of suffering.

Attachments

·
I have red hair
265 Posts
I betcha don't spin out on the flats with the bike behind it!!:thumbsup:

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
dude, where's your kickstand?

·
Registered
312 Posts
you cant take any links out of that chain? thats some serious slack...i feel like that would fall off if you hopped a curb

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, the chain will not quite connect with one additional link out. A half link will work and there might still be some slack. At that point I will consider a tensioner if it jumps going off curbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts