Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Merry Christmas, everyone! My day started out at home, with my kids. Gifts were exchanged. Christmas migas were cooked and devoured. (What? That's not *your* traditional Christmas breakfast?? ;) )

Then I headed out for a ride. I put into the Barton Creek Greenbelt at the Hill of Life. David was going to be joining me soon, so I "warmed up" with a descent and ascent of the hill. Then David arrived, and we headed down the big hill once more. Shortly, we found our way into the trees, and the wonderfully tight and challenging singletrack.

Attachments

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One of the loops offers a nice series of loose, rocky switchbacks that always makes for low-speed tests of balance and traction.

We both passed.

Attachments

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was an incredible day. After all that wonderful family time, to be outside playing on the trails in the warmth and sunshine. Yes. Life is good.

See that last picture? David is riding up a particularly tough spot on the Hill of Life, as we wrap up our ride. I have a story about that spot.

Attachments

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To tie a nice bow on the ride, I finally re-conquered my Hill-of-Life nemesis. That climb is a challenge that I actually enjoy partaking of: loose gravel steals away traction as you try to make your way up an incline that includes plenty of up-ledges along the way. After about 1/2 a mile of climbing in that fashion, when your heart-rate is pretty much maxed out, you are faced with a double ledge, a ledge that by itself is a difficult challenge, but that appearing as it does in the middle of your fatigue, is often times more than I can manage. And indeed, I hadn't managed it for quite some time. Months.

But today, I did it! I let out a heart-felt "Woo hoo!" and completed the climb to the trail head. What a great finish!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Good job on cleaning that double ledge. It always gives me problems, but we don't climb directly up the hill of life, we typically come up taint and then grab the connector over.

On xmas morning I conquered the long climb up from the main trail to the office buildings (between spyglass and 360).

Did it all in one shot and was feeling cocky. Then on the way down gravity proved too strong and I went over the bars pretty hard on that long rocky descent.

That was my coal.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Christmas? or festivus? Two of the three festivus traditions are represented in your post.
# 1. A fine festivus pole.
# 2. Feats of strength.
The only one missing, but I know it's not your style:
# 3. Airing of greivances.

No matter what you celebrate, it looks like you had a great ride, of which I'm envious. We had a foot and a half of white Christmas descend apon us, biking wasn't an option, but snowboarding in waist deep powder was, so I'm happy to see a good time was had by one and all.
Fun thread as always, thanks!
Best wishes for a great new year to you and yours.

btw, that's a fine looking fs steed you've got there.

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, guys. Glad you enjoyed my post, and I appreciate your words of encouragement.

We're entering another string of warm, sunny days, so I'll be sure to take my camera along for at least one of my rides.

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, Kris and John. Sorry to hear about your crash, John. And Nando's. Is his elbow literally broken?

Kris, I loved your turn of phrase to describe mountain biking: "playing with much love." Perfect. And, needless to say, the *only* way to play! :)

·
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My daughter took a pre-Christmas snow-boarding vacation with her dad (to Steamboat). She really enjoyed it.

I've not lived in a place with snow since becoming an "athletic" person, so I have no true appreciation for snow sports. But if my trails were covered in snow for that many months, I bet I'd get some appreciation but fast! ;)

It's all good, of course.

And don't get me started on my bike. I LOVE that thing. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Ya, wish I had 60-70 degree weather to ride in. Instead, it was 35 on Xmas with snow/slush on the ground. It was 67 yesterday (a record high), but the trails are so wet this time of year riding is pretty much impossible. And today, it is supposed to be 38 degrees with thunderstorms. Gotta love Kansas weather.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.