Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone is invited...

COMBA (Colorado Mountain Bike Association) will be hosting our annual meeting on Thursday, January 18th, 6pm*; open to members and non-members alike. Come hear what we accomplished in 2006 and what we have planned for '07. Also, the new Board of Directors will be announced (after an election this week).

If you ride the Front Range --especially in Jeffco Open Space-- you are encouraged to join us. Door prizes (schwag) will be awarded, and then afterwards we'll head down to the Morrison Inn for a drink or three (unofficially of course). ;)

*Jefferson County Administration and Courts Building, 100 Jefferson County Parkway, Golden, CO 80419

Hope to see you there...
 

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
What's the word on the membership packets and such? I joined up assuming I'd win that Yeti, but didn't win the Yeti and haven't received any type of membership stuff at all.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,883 Posts
Jdub said:
What's the word on the membership packets and such? I joined up assuming I'd win that Yeti, but didn't win the Yeti and haven't received any type of membership stuff at all.
/rant on/

I'm sorry, but that's just sad. You don't join an organization such as COMBA for a bicycle. You join because you want to be part of the effort to support, build, and maintain multi-use trails in Colorado. You join because you believe in what the organization stands for.

Yes, the Yeti was enticing but ultimately it is through the combined effort of every member in COMBA (and other organizations - I belong to three) that the person who won that Yeti and others will be able to ride the trails in this state.

I'm sorry if this comes across a little nasty, but there are many great things that will happen this year on our local trails. However, we need the help of everyone to make it a success. You joined. You didn't win. I joined. I didn't win. Now, make it worth the while. When maintenance and trail building days start-up, be there to help. That's as big a reward as the $700 frame you lost.

/rant off/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good question

Membership will be a huge focus for '07...

This past year it suffered a bit, especially due to the work involved in re-branding the organization as COMBA and all the marketing collateral, website, etc. We did one mass "snail mail" mailing for members w/ membership info, stickers, etc., but that was likely before you joined. All other correspondence has been electronic.

This will change with the new BoD... we recognize the importance of membership communication, so Membership will be separated into its own committee (previously was combined with Outreach), so it will get the attention it deserves. :thumbsup:

If you have other questions, feel free to contact me (especially if you aren't receiving monthly email updates).
 

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
schnauzers said:
/rant on/

I'm sorry, but that's just sad. You don't join an organization such as COMBA for a bicycle. You join because you want to be part of the effort to support, build, and maintain multi-use trails in Colorado. You join because you believe in what the organization stands for.

Yes, the Yeti was enticing but ultimately it is through the combined effort of every member in COMBA (and other organizations - I belong to three) that the person who won that Yeti and others will be able to ride the trails in this state.

I'm sorry if this comes across a little nasty, but there are many great things that will happen this year on our local trails. However, we need the help of everyone to make it a success. You joined. You didn't win. I joined. I didn't win. Now, make it worth the while. When maintenance and trail building days start-up, be there to help. That's as big a reward as the $700 frame you lost.

/rant off/
Do you know me? Surely you didn't just make all these assumptions based on the "assuming I'd win" quip, right? It was just an off the cuff joke.

Why would someone who only wanted to win the Yeti ask about the membership packets?

I thought the Yeti give away was a great idea, and certainly an enticing thing.

You belong to three clubs? That's great.

I am an active member of these clubs:
Mountain High Trail Assocation (Larmier County)
Boulder Mountainbike Alliance (Boulder County)
Blue Sky Velo (Longmont & Boulder County)
IMBA

And I am now a member of COMBA (Jeff Co.).

I've attended numerous meetings across the three counties to show support for mountain bikers and spent a significant amount of time working on trails, including volunteering to become a "Trail Crew Leader" in Larimer County because I wanted to better the strained relationship between bikers and the powers that be.

I guess next time I need to fill my post up with tons of those smilies so its more clear to those who have never met me, yet feel they know all about my motives and intentions by a single remark.

Good day.
 

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
gotdirt said:
If you have other questions, feel free to contact me (especially if you aren't receiving monthly email updates).
I haven't received any communications since signing up, so I may have slipped through the cracks.

I'll shoot you a PM with my email and info and see what the problem might be.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,883 Posts
Jdub said:
Do you know me? Surely you didn't just make all these assumptions based on the "assuming I'd win" quip, right? It was just an off the cuff joke.

Why would someone who only wanted to win the Yeti ask about the membership packets?

I thought the Yeti give away was a great idea, and certainly an enticing thing.

You belong to three clubs? That's great.

I am an active member of these clubs:
Mountain Hight Trail Assocation (Larmier County)
Boulder Mountainbike Alliance (Boulder County)
Blue Sky Velo (Longmont & Boulder County)
IMBA

And I am now a member of COMBA (Jeff Co.).

I've attended numerous meetings across the three counties to show support for mountain bikers and spent a significant amount of time working on trails, including volunteering to become a "Trail Crew Leader" in Larimer County because I wanted to better the strained relationship between bikers and the powers that be.

I guess next time I need to fill my post up with tons of those smilies so its more clear to those who have never met me, yet feel they know all about my motives and intentions by a single remark.

Good day.
OK. I am sorry. But it does make a point. Those who have never met you (like myself) could get the wrong idea from that post. The point I wanted to make was that anyone (not necessarily you) joining an organization like COMBA, should do so for the role it plays in attaining and sustaining access to the trails.

So, yes you should fill it with smilies, winks, and general "the rest of the world is filled with naive fools", like me.

:) ;) :D :winker: :smilewinkgrin:
 

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
schnauzers said:
OK. I am sorry. But it does make a point. Those who have never met you (like myself) could get the wrong idea from that post. The point I wanted to make was that anyone (not necessarily you) joining an organization like COMBA, should do so for the role it plays in attaining and sustaining access to the trails.

So, yes you should fill it with smilies, winks, and general "the rest of the world is filled with naive fools", like me.

:) ;) :D :winker: :smilewinkgrin:
I see your point, and I probably should have made it more clear that I was just joking about the Yeti.

We're both on the same side here. :thumbsup:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,137 Posts
schnauzers said:
/rant on/

I'm sorry, but that's just sad. You don't join an organization such as COMBA for a bicycle. You join because you want to be part of the effort to support, build, and maintain multi-use trails in Colorado. You join because you believe in what the organization stands for.

Yes, the Yeti was enticing but ultimately it is through the combined effort of every member in COMBA (and other organizations - I belong to three) that the person who won that Yeti and others will be able to ride the trails in this state.

I'm sorry if this comes across a little nasty, but there are many great things that will happen this year on our local trails. However, we need the help of everyone to make it a success. You joined. You didn't win. I joined. I didn't win. Now, make it worth the while. When maintenance and trail building days start-up, be there to help. That's as big a reward as the $700 frame you lost.

/rant off/
You call that a rant? :lol:

I will save you mine.

Have fun with your club. Be sure to act like you are the only force on the planet that enables people to ride bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Jdub said:
I am an active member of these clubs:
Mountain High Trail Assocation (Larmier County)
Boulder Mountainbike Alliance (Boulder County)
Blue Sky Velo (Longmont & Boulder County)
IMBA

And I am now a member of COMBA (Jeff Co.).
Is the Blue Sky Velo group mountain bike specific? I would be interested in that if it were. I ride the longmont/lyons trails about 90% of the time and would love to get involved somehow.
 

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
Joined
·
4,009 Posts
mtbjc280 said:
Is the Blue Sky Velo group mountain bike specific? I would be interested in that if it were. I ride the longmont/lyons trails about 90% of the time and would love to get involved somehow.
No its road, mountain and cyclocross. There is a race team, and then the club with the difference being that the team is required to race certain races. The club is more aligned with volunteering and group rides than racing.

Boulder Mountainbike Alliance is probably your best bet. Mountain bike specific and they are always involved in the events in Boulder/Lyons/Longmont.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
29Colossus said:
Be sure to act like you are the only force on the planet that enables people to ride bikes.
...you're confusing us w/ the 29'er movement.





KIDDING of course. ;)

we don't discriminate-- as the thread says, Come One, Come All! strength in numbers and all that...

(is it Spring yet?)
 

·
Now Uploading
Joined
·
1,110 Posts
18th...

I've got an HOA meeting, then a plan JeffCo meeting to go make a presentation to that evening, or I'd attend again. Speaking of presentations, give me a call this week about the one on the 1st, thanks.

Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
see you tonight!

hope to see some new faces at the meeting...
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top