Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I visit Columbus where I'm from, I hit Alum Creek. It's such a drive for not much trail. Has anyone (COMBO) tried to get permission to build trails at Highbanks. Seems they have plenty of land to do it.

·
there's no bread
219 Posts
It will never happen, but if it does, I hope the same people that designed the trails at Chestnut are not involved at all. There is no reason 8+ miles of trail needed to be jammed into that property.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not? Manpower.
I have been on COMBO's forum a few times and have lurked from afar. Not sure this is the real answer. Do you know if Parks folks have even been approached about adding trails? I don't really know the leaders of the Columbus mtb community to ask them, but to me it seems like the LBS should have more of a stake in making trails. They would sell more bikes and service if there were closer places to ride, and like down here the Parks are starting to realize there is a good revenue stream if trails are created. I wish the city would allow building singletrack that parallels the paved trail from 270 to downtown. Fitness and wilderness can be a win-win and increased use
also keeps the unsavory elements away. Can't comment on Chestnut. Never rode that. I just don't get why Columbus seems to be in the mtb dark ages still. Come on Cbus.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
The LBS's are involved. Bike Source, Roll:, and the Trek Store all sponsored work days last year. Those each seemed to bring out ~40 people, and a lot of work got done quickly. Almost all of this effort went to repairing and reroutes at P1 and the beginner loop.

I wasn't involved at all in CR, but my understanding is the park allowed COMBO to use the land, but didn't provide any other assistance. So it circles back to volunteer club manpower.

I have been on COMBO's forum a few times and have lurked from afar. Not sure this is the real answer. Do you know if Parks folks have even been approached about adding trails? I don't really know the leaders of the Columbus mtb community to ask them, but to me it seems like the LBS should have more of a stake in making trails. They would sell more bikes and service if there were closer places to ride, and like down here the Parks are starting to realize there is a good revenue stream if trails are created. I wish the city would allow building singletrack that parallels the paved trail from 270 to downtown. Fitness and wilderness can be a win-win and increased use
also keeps the unsavory elements away. Can't comment on Chestnut. Never rode that. I just don't get why Columbus seems to be in the mtb dark ages still. Come on Cbus.

·
since 4/10/2009
35,259 Posts
Not to mention, the land manager has final say. Here in Indianapolis, we have been working hard for access to a portion of a large city park and the land manager has been fighting us every step of the way. We have trails in two other city parks, but this one is a struggle, even though it's probably one of the most suitable locations for trails in town. We even have support from SRAM, bike shops, and a local university with a very strong cycling team. We also have a very strong track record in lots of other properties.

Asking here is not going to get you the answers you're looking for, anyway. You're going to have to talk to local folks who have personally been involved with discussions with land managers. And with that said, you may not get the whole truth. Especially if you ask online. It may be a very complicated situation, like ours, which goes back more than a decade, and no one person truly has the whole story, anyway.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I wish the city would allow building singletrack that parallels the paved trail from 270 to downtown.
I am assuming that they are not "official," but there are quite a few single track off shoot trails off of the Olentangy path. I ride or run them every time I am in Columbus. You have to watch out for unofficial campsites though, which can be odd.

But, you are right. An off road path spanning the same distance would be neat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.