Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· My cup runneth over
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about combining several of our bigger front range climbs into a single ride and figured that some of you may have already done something like this and would be willing to share. Criteria:
  1. Doable in a single ride (will vary by rider)
  2. Need to be able to link climbs on the bike (trails or roads)
Criteria I haven't figured out yet:
  1. What qualifies as a big climb…
  2. What qualifies as 'front range'
Initial thought is a combo of Mt Falcon, Apex & Chimney Gulch but would be interested in other ideas. I would like to add White Ranch but not sure I want that much road traversing.

The May challenge from several years ago hit some of this but with a different focus.

Would love to hear ideas (or Strava maps!) from any of you that have already done something like this - hopefully I haven't missed a thread already covering this.

· Registered
3,340 Posts
How about:

• Horsetooth/Lory (easily 5-6k climbing without repeating anything)
  • Combine White Ranch and Golden Gate SP
  • Mt Falcon to Lair, out and back
  • Cub Creek into Staunton SP and back
  • Segment 2 of the CT into Buffalo Creek and back
  • Hit all the descents at Left Hand OHV (only two ways to climb up though)
  • Centennial Cone both directions from Mayhem Gulch

I'm not familiar with the Springs riding, but I'm sure there are a bunch down there. Same with Indian Creek and Segment 1 of the CT.

· slow
8,177 Posts
Here are some northern options:

This one was an annual event (FOCO 102) for a few years in Fort Collins and combines most of the dirt climbs in the area. 102 miles and nearly 13,000':

This one (Broduro) is shorter but gets a few good climbs including Bobcat Ridge and Horsetooth:

This one (Tres Montanas) gets most of the big climbs in Horsetooth and Lory:

· Awesomist™
2,954 Posts
Initial thought is a combo of Mt Falcon, Apex & Chimney Gulch but would be interested in other ideas. I would like to add White Ranch but not sure I want that much road traversing.
IMNSHO White Ranch is not any more road work to link with Chimney/Apex than Falcon. And Belcher when climbed ALLLLLLL the way to the top is a big climb. I wasn't going for "all the climbs" in a single ride, more like "all the trails" but here's my linkup of Golden area trails: Golden Chelada (alternate start/finish)

· Awesomist™
2,954 Posts
Also search this forum for Morrison Monster to get some other ideas... a bunch of years back there were a bunch of folks trying to out-do each other on vert and distance by combining trails around Morrison.

EDIT: Ah, I see you referenced the May Challenge in your original post already.

· Registered
1,039 Posts
  • Cub Creek into Staunton SP and back
  • Segment 2 of the CT into Buffalo Creek and back
These are both good options, especially if you do the big loop at Buff Creek (Scraggy-CT-Green-*******-Gashouse-Baldy-Charlie's-Homestead-Sandy-up Kitty), if you link with CT2 it is around 55 miles and 7500'.

Also a fun option if you start at the CT1/2 junction is to combine 3 out-and-backs - CT 2 (whole thing), CT 1 (to right before the big rocky descent maybe a mile west of Lenny's Rest), then North Fork (to the high point).

And if you like rocky trails, you can do some major links in the Brainard area, such as riding the SSV figure 8 from S. Sourdough, or ride the entire Sourdough as an out-and-back, or combine SSV figure 8 with Coney/Buchanan - endless options, and a lot tougher than riding similar elevation gains on smooth trails!

· Registered
320 Posts
Back when I was racing…did NTM, up Chimney, down Apex, Green Mtn to Falcon Bear then took sidewalk road back.

Another good one was staring in Evergreen Mtn then down road to back side of Bear down Falcon, through Green Mtn, up Apex and down Chimney to pass out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· My cup runneth over
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may be over-reaching. I did a loop today of Green Mountain - South Table Mount - Chimney Gulch - Apex/EF - Wrigley Ridge - Dinosaur Ridge - Zorro - GM. I was expecting to ‘kill’ it but the Chimney climb sucked out my soul - lol. I may have to lower my sights a little.

· My cup runneth over
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IMNSHO White Ranch is not any more road work to link with Chimney/Apex than Falcon. And Belcher when climbed ALLLLLLL the way to the top is a big climb. I wasn't going for "all the climbs" in a single ride, more like "all the trails" but here's my linkup of Golden area trails: Golden Chelada (alternate start/finish)
This is really sweet. Something to aim for. I like including MW - even though it's not a 'big' climb.

· Awesomist™
2,954 Posts
This is really sweet. Something to aim for. I like including MW - even though it's not a 'big' climb.
That climb up through RR/MW is pretty tough for a 'not big' climb... it's quite a grind and always seems to hurt. And if you're riding the Golden Chelada, you're spent from having already climbed NTM, WR, Chimney, and then ridden Dakota by the time you get to it. Oh, and if you wanna make RR/MW a bit bigger of a climb? Just tack on a little N>S loop-dee-loop of Morrison Slide in there. My legs are pissed just thinking about it.

· Awesomist™
2,954 Posts
Down apex, up belcher, mountain lion loop, mustang, maverick, long horn, sit in hollidaily with beer and tacos and think about a ntm loop, decide no and climb chimney to finish.

50 miles, 9000ish verts from memory.
Gross.

Your choice of brewery, not the ride. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.