Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Moosehead
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The elected BOD of COMBA significantly raised awareness about the organization and the critical need for it this year.

COMBA was able to accomplish the following in 2009 alone, among other things:

• Ongoing construction of a new "black diamond" trail down in Buffalo Creek in partnership with the USFS

Twice-monthly group/social rides, including one for beginners

Successful call-to-action email campaign re: the Apex Park management plan (760 messages), which per the Director of JCOS resulted in the compromise position on the forthcoming restrictions against cyclists

Equally impressive call-to-action for attendance to the key Apex OSAC meeting (400+ cyclists!), resulting in the voiced support for bike-only options within JCOS by members of OSAC

COMBA sent a representative (Director Beckman) to the National Bike Summit in Washington, D.C.

3 grant applications: 1 successful ($10,000), 1 rejected, 1 in progress

Announcement of invitation-only IMBA Chapter beta program (rollout in 2010)

COMBA exploring social networking opportunities on Facebook and Twitter

Director Henley being named an alternate biking representative to the Trails Use Task Force

Engaging JCOS leadership for promotion of more bike-friendly policy and trails

National Trails Day support to the City of Lakewood at Green Mountain

Participation in the "Bike Rights" event sponsored by JCOS at Matthews/Winters Park

Highly successful Take A Kid Mountain Biking Day event at Bear Creek Lake Park

COMBA award presented to JCOS Director at annual Plan Jeffco dinner gala

COMBA-sponsored "Mini-crew" trail work event at Chimney Gulch

As official adopters of the Colorado Trail, Section 1, COMBA reps cleared winter deadfall from trail corridor to allow safe passage for all users

Corporate sponsors program growth: Entropy Bikeworks, Yeti Cycles, Feedback Sports, Golden Bike Shop, Green Mountain Sports, Pedal Pushers, Singletrack Factory, Wheat Ridge Cyclery, Colorado Trail Foundation, Golden City Brewery, IMBA, REI, CottonQuips.com, Salvagetti Bicycle Workshop

Significant revenue growth

Giving back to the community: bike wash fundraiser for local no-kill animal shelter in support of Oskar Blues, Spot Brand Bicycles, and Golden Bike Shop event

Sharing of tools (in both directions) with the Boulder Mountainbike Alliance

Tool trailer graphics "wrap" with branding of COMBA and our major sponsors

Freedom Riders movie night at REI

Numerous meetings with City of Golden personnel paving the way for a proposed MTB Park in 2010

Team IMBA / Firecracker 50 fundraising event resulting in $6,853 in donations and matching SRAM money

COMBA in the media: television, newspaper, and radio (MTB outreach, Apex, and Buff Creek, respectively)

Hosting the Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crew for a two-day trailbuilding school event

Private donations are up (thank you to our "angels")

Establishing rapport with relevant "powers that be" at the national, state, county, and city level

Membership growth: started the year with 79 members and currently have 334 paid members (and many more in need of renewal... hint hint); likely to hit 500+ once the
    IMBA Chapter program officially launches

A huge thanks and well done to COMBA, its tireless BOD, and rapidly growing membership.

Are you a member yet?

·
rubber side down
458 Posts
I agree. last year was terrific! What I'm curious about is what happened to the elections for 2010? It sure wasn't advertised as to who was nominated, or even how to nominate someone, and elections certainly were not publicized. Not like last year. WTF?

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,422 Posts
russman said:
I agree. last year was terrific! What I'm curious about is what happened to the elections for 2010? It sure wasn't advertised as to who was nominated, or even how to nominate someone, and elections certainly were not publicized. Not like last year. WTF?
The email I got said that there were 9 candidates for 9 spots... so no need for elections?

·
rubber side down
458 Posts
I think you missed the point. Up until the elections for 2010, COMBA used mtbr for PSA's all over the place. Then for elections, nada...Here's from last year:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=478841

Maybe they would have had more nominees, more participation if it was as advertised as last year. Consistency is a good thing, no? There's nothing on their website, no "blog" entry for elections, nuthin. So who are the 9?

R

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,422 Posts
russman said:
I think you missed the point. Up until the elections for 2010, COMBA used mtbr for PSA's all over the place. Then for elections, nada...Here's from last year:

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=478841

Maybe they would have had more nominees, more participation if it was as advertised as last year. Consistency is a good thing, no? There's nothing on their website, no "blog" entry for elections, nuthin. So who are the 9?

R

:D

·
t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
4,765 Posts
Props to COMBA!! I didnt make it to all the events i wanted to, but did get to spend several tiring hours working along side the Prez. Looking forward to another great year as a member and putting in some more tool time! Thanks for all the events and hard work you all have put in for all of us! :thumbsup:

ps. i like my socks!

Looking forward to some cool tees next year! :)

·
Moosehead
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry if this is a dupe post and for overtly copying T's letter. My bad.

The title conclusion and props to COMBA stand though.

(If shameless promotion will get more cynics like SkaredShitles to join in, then I'll prolly keep doing so.)

Carry on.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
hey, thanks, moose, for your ongoing support... :cool:

russman, to answer your question:

at the end of 2008, the person/process for getting information out to our membership was, shall we say, a bit encumbered... so some of us took it upon ourselves to try to get the word out via MTBR and other channels.

this year that was not the case. ;)

as only membership can participate in the voting process we utilized our internal mailing list for that purpose.

as it turns out, only 9 candidates were ultimately qualified-- and we have 9 seats on the board, so a "vote" was unnecessary.

see this thread for the results. fwiw, many incoming (and outgoing) directors hang out here on MTBR, but i'll let them "out" themselves and their screennames, should they so desire.

as for me, i'm officially (semi)retired now... after tomorrow.
:)

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,422 Posts
moosehead said:
<snip>

(If shameless promotion will get more cynics like SkaredShitles to join in, then I'll prolly keep doing so.)
Don't flatter yourself... it was OSAC that got me to join... :D

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
gotdirt said:
hey, thanks, moose, for your ongoing support... :cool:

russman, to answer your question:

at the end of 2008, the person/process for getting information out to our membership was, shall we say, a bit encumbered... so some of us took it upon ourselves to try to get the word out via MTBR and other channels.

this year that was not the case. ;)

as only membership can participate in the voting process we utilized our internal mailing list for that purpose.

as it turns out, only 9 candidates were ultimately qualified-- and we have 9 seats on the board, so a "vote" was unnecessary.

see this thread for the results. fwiw, many incoming (and outgoing) directors hang out here on MTBR, but i'll let them "out" themselves and their screennames, should they so desire.

as for me, i'm officially (semi)retired now... after tomorrow.
:)
Oh, I never got to come "out" before! I'm excited to be working with COMBA this year and a great group of folks on the BoD. The wheels have already started We'll still have to see what happens with the Ambassador program. JCOS has taken a "we have enough JCOS groups" approach. Long story there and hopefully I'll get to explain it soon. Suffice-to-say, the program wasn't intended to be a JCOS program, just get their blessing. We'll have to see if it is worth continuing or concentrate efforts elsewhere to exact a change.

·
formerly shabadu
961 Posts
= Joe H. BoD member.

To all our members, new and old, and my colleagues on the board, huge thanks for putting together such a great year. We've got some great momentum going into the 2010, and I'm really stoked to see what we can accomplish.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
SkaredShtles said:
Yes it is. Mountain biking was fun YEARS before there was any stoke or flow.
there's always been flow. :)

...and if you can keep up w/ flowtron, then you can ask him to stop saying "stoke".
:devil:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts