Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I'll be getting a new wheelset within the next few months, Hadley rear hub with Hope Pro 2 front (both red), and either DT 5.1 or Stans flow rims. Does anyone know somewhere to get hold of some nice shiny (metallic preferably) red spokes? Im guessing they have to be steel, correct me if i'm wrong? I've seen the Industry Nine's, but theyre only compatible with their hubs i think....?

Cheers

Joe

· Registered
87 Posts
Easy ... http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/product.php?prod_id=983

You are correct about spoke lengths differing between wheels. Measurements are based on your rims and hubs as well as the number of holes and the intended lacing pattern.

In order to determine the correct length(s) to order, you can either measure your existing spokes (if you have a set of wheels that's already built) or you can use one of the many online spoke calculations (I like the one on the DT Swiss web site). Of course they even have some free ones as apps for the iPhone. :)

One other thing to keep in mind is that in most cases, building a set of wheels will require multiple spoke sizes. Between front and rear, left and right, not all the sizes will be the same. With that in mind, I like using the spoke calculator because it gives you all the spoke lengths laid out by wheel and side.

Unfortunately I can't comment on these particular spokes, their color, durability, etc. I can vouch for Pro Wheelbuilder, though ... they were great to work with. If you call, they'll be able to answer any questions you might have. They also stock a number of hubs and rims, so they might even be able to compare the shade of red on the spokes and the hub to provide you with some peace of mind before you order (or to prevent you from ordering if they don't match).

Good luck and have fun!

· Registered
27 Posts
re:atomlab spokes

I only had their white ones with red torque nipples. The nipples are anodized because of the aluminium material and are of course metallic looking but as the spokes are steel made ,well really do not know. But photo on their website shows pretty metallic look.
As far as the length you should go to DT Swiss website for the spoke calculator as RG already advised.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.