Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Does anyone have a bike fitted with both Hope "gunsmoke" color and Chris King "pewter" color components? I have a King sotto voce pewter headset that I really like. I was hoping to find a seatpost collar/clamp to match this, however, King doesn't make them. From Hope's website, however, it looks like their gunsmoke color seat clamp is very close.

Would it be possible for anyone to post pics of these colored components side by side, or perhaps comment on how close of a match they are?

Sorry for such a captious request...;)

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
I too have wondered how close they are in color, as I have only seen pictures of them.
the hope looks alot more blue than the CK stuff.
Here is one that would match the CK stuff nicely.
http://www.bti-usa.com/public/category/SP/SPBQ/WN
I have the same clamp in blue, and it is pretty solid....and reasonably priced too.
Any shop should be able to order you one.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Awesome! I was thinking this EXACT thing yesterday. I have the CK threadless Pewter headset you have and want a matching QR seatclamp. Bike is a blue Ells Truth. I have Hope brakes, hubs, etc. The Hope Gunsmoke is NOT that same color. When you get them would you post a pic? I ended up buying a Hope in Silver rather than black or gunsmoke......next to fashionize will be the pedals......

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure

I ordered a "gunsmoke" Hope bolt-type seat clamp and a "pewter" Woodman Death Grip SL-Ti seat clamp.

One of them better match my CK pewter headset lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not effin close

Well, I ordered both a "gunsmoke" Hope seat collar as well as a "pewter" Woodman model in the hopes that one would match my CK "pewter" headset. I was only sent the Woodman since they ran out of the gunsmoke Hopes grr

Anyway, here's a pic of the Woodman pewter vs. the CK pewter...

As you can see, they're nowhere close. I think I'm just going to send this back and go with a black Hope.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
Here's a gunsmoke BB so you can see how the color appears next to black...

HBBB.jpg

Gunsmoke is something of a chameleon colour - although it picks up blues and greens most readily, it's very reflective of what is going on around it. The finish is very deep, a much better quality than the Woodman clamp you've pictured. The CK pewter seems quite a lot darker by comparison, but the two tones may well blend quite nicely given the refelectivity of the Hope color. That's a matter of taste, of course. Here are a couple of angles of an XC stem which show, to an extent, the depth and spectrum of the gunsmoke...

stemGSr.jpg

stemGSr2.jpg

Finally, a gunsmoke QR clamp...

HQR.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for posting the lovely pics, Steve!

The Hope gunsmoke looks like it takes on more of a green, whereas the CK pewter has sort of a purplish tinge. The Hope would go much better than the Woodman.

You also bring up a good point about the quality of the finish on the Woodman. Although it's not noticeable in the picture I posted, the Woodman clamp has some light spots just over the lip near the "5 Nm" and "MAX" text. The anodizing also appears somewhat faded near where the head of the screw is.

Even though it's not a perfect match, I think the chameleon thing of the Hope is growing on me. I may just straight up return the Woodman and get a gunsmoke Hope instead of exchanging it for a black Hope (the place I ordered them both from is out of gunsmoke color).

I'll take the extra few grams for a much higher quality piece :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Gunsmoke has that thin film "oily" sheen to it if you seen it in person. You can kind of see it in the stem picture but its pretty prominent in the sun. Its got that oily soapy purple-green-yellow tinge too it. I dig it :)

·
I'm gonna have to kill ya
321 Posts
lovely bike SLiM C

I Had the same colour issue with Gold, some golds are almost brass and others orange. My Hope bits are more yellowy while my KCNC bits are orangy, like the pewter/gunsmoke depending on the light and angle they can look almost identical or incredibly different.

How come you didn't go for red to match your brakes and other parts? Although another iffy colour to match!

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you, and badass ride you have there, roy!

I did add red brake bits (I think it's time for a new camera because the pics aren't so great)

Luckily, the Magura red ano pieces match the SRAM red shifters/rear derailleur quite well.

Red nipples on the Stan's wheels, too

·
Registered
467 Posts
Gray?

SLiM C said:
That'd just be too easy! Come on now :D

You have to admit, the King looks alright

Before the stem was cut, and FD installed..
I see all that red on your bike and I'm wondering why you didn't go with red headset and seat collar?
:thumbsup:

Actually, I ran into the same problem with three bikes. I have Salsa red seat collar on this bike, green on a road bike and pink on my wife's bike. None of them quite match up. Oh well. Your bikes all look good.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gthcarolina said:
I see all that red on your bike and I'm wondering why you didn't go with red headset and seat collar?
:thumbsup:

Actually, I ran into the same problem with three bikes. I have Salsa red seat collar on this bike, green on a road bike and pink on my wife's bike. None of them quite match up. Oh well. Your bikes all look good.
Good question, gthcarolina. I actually thought about getting a red headset and even the red accented noir crankset as well. Really, though, I wanted to keep it mostly black. The red bits look sweet - I just didn't want to over-do it. Plus, from what I've read, the King headset will outlast my frame. I liked the dark grey all around, and it'll probably match future framsets better overall than red. Nice Lynskey btw!

·
Registered
570 Posts
It would sure be nice if manufacturers made there colors match. I know that it really shouldn't matter what your bike looks like but more how it rides, but when you are paying top dollar for the nicest quality components then they should at least look good together...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
You could get all the parts stripped and then re-ano'd. As roybatty666 mentioned, gold is hard to match too.........I guess that is why silver and black (Raiders) are so popular!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts