Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
what a joke
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have managed to get a mtb trip approved by consolidated revenue(aka the wife). I will be over for week of riding in early May and was wondering if anyone could recomend any "must do" trails. I would also be stoked to meet any members from here and ride some trails with you. I am flying in and out of Denver.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The month of May can go either way in the high country. Depending on spring snow and
the amount of warm temps there could be riding during the week of your trip. Some lower elevation trails are usally ridable by that time, but none of the "really good" high altitude trails will be dry. Alot of front range(denver) trails are in good shape at that time. You should be able to do something on the Colorado Trail in the Buffalo Creek area by May. Another option would be to hit Fruita, about 4.5 hours by car straight west of Denver. Fruita has plenty of great riding, although it can start to get a little bit hot by that time of the year.
Try posting over on either one of the two Colorado forums before you leave. You should be able to find lots of info on the current conditions.
Oh yeah....have fun.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Ozlong

PC68 said:
I'm sure you'll get lots of different ideas here. You should hit Moab and Fruita, many trails both places. Porcupine Rim in Moab is a must do in my opinion.
check out the Lyon's Fat Tire Fest out of Lyons during labor day weekend. Dave/RedStoneCyclery usually prescribes some of the best stuff around, plus you get to ride with a bunch of the mtbr folk and then finally retreat to some good grilling and damn good beer to chase it all down.

link - Lyons Fat Tire Fest

later, Chad

·
2,811 Posts
OZ - I would suggest Winter Park, Crested Butte, Fruita, Durango.....BUT Colorado is having a huge snowpack year so the mountain locations (Winter Park, Crested Butte, Durango) could still be under a lot of snow if we continue to get the snow we are getting. That leaves Fruita on the western side, and a lot of trails along the front range of CO. I live in Fort Collins (an hour north of Denver) and we have some really good trails...but nothing epic like the 'butte, Fruita or Winter Park.

If it has to be May, I say Fruita for 2-3 days - then head down to Moab, Utah a quick 1.5 hours from Fruita for 3 days. Fruita and Moab are both cool but it would be fun if you could also link up with some highcountry riding with trees, lakes, etc. The desert riding is ok for a couple of days but the high stuff is where it's at in my opinion...and it might still be pretty white/wet in May.

Afterall... the higher you get - the higher you get. :)

·
This place needs an enema
16,342 Posts
ozlongboarder said:
I have managed to get a mtb trip approved by consolidated revenue(aka the wife). I will be over for week of riding in early May and was wondering if anyone could recomend any "must do" trails. I would also be stoked to meet any members from here and ride some trails with you. I am flying in and out of Denver.
Hit me with an email a few weeks before you fly. I'll help you to plan out an amazing trip, and might even be around to show you a trail or two. Living and riding in CO (but right on the Utah border) allows me to have a pretty good handle on this area.

[email protected] dot com

MC

·
Registered
386 Posts
mikesee said:
Hit me with an email a few weeks before you fly. I'll help you to plan out an amazing trip, and might even be around to show you a trail or two. Living and riding in CO (but right on the Utah border) allows me to have a pretty good handle on this area.

[email protected] dot com

MC
DOn't miss green valley in St George, and everybody know the rides in Moab. If you could hold off until the snow melts in Northern Utah the best riding I have ever been on is there in the Wasatch mountains. That is usually late May to early June

·
2,811 Posts
OrBikbldr said:
DOn't miss green valley in St George, and everybody know the rides in Moab. If you could hold off until the snow melts in Northern Utah the best riding I have ever been on is there in the Wasatch mountains. That is usually late May to early June
Agree...but St George is another haul across a large state. I'd hit Mike up on the offer...he knows Western Co/Eastern UT like nobody and can put some epic stuff together for you. Hit up Bigwheel if you want an epic list of trails in Crested Butte. I've done a lot of racing in Winter Park and know a lot of the Frasier Valley and the North Park/Cameron Pass/Never Summer Wilderness...but at this point it is looking like June before the snow melts. Cameron Pass has as much of a snow wall now on the side of the road as it did last march and the moisture really starts getting heavy in 8 more weeks...good freshies, that's for sure!

·
Team Velveeta™
3,079 Posts
focus on CO/UT border region

Don't think about going to St George unless you're already in Las Vegas. That's hell and gone from Denver, CO.

Get on over to Fruita, ride it up over there. Moab if time allows. But either place could fill a week of riding, especially when you throw in travel. A week doesn't allow time for much silly driving from place to place in the west.

Salida always has riding open in May, but not the high elevation stuff by then ever. If you're inclined, take one of your trips over the divide through Salida. We can show you some classic bighwheel terrain. Probably isn't really a week's worth here in May. But if you take hwy 50 you can check out Hartman in Gunrack, maybe a bit of the Tabeguache trail between Montrose and GJ...

May is not summer in CO; or anywhere else for that matter. Don't even bother with the high country rides, they aren't meant to be experienced as knee deep half-frozen mud. Go to the desert. It may be a bit warm in May, but what's wrong with that?

If it was my trip, I'd probably try to fly the puddle-jumper right into Grand Junkyard. Get right where you're going, skip the 4 hours of renta-car slalom at both ends of the trip.

·
Registered
482 Posts
That's the best advice yet. If you're flying into D-town, I'd hate to see you waste good riding days by driving your ass all the way across two states to find the good rides. Denver area has some great rides that I could point you to, but the ones that would make a big trip really memorable are going to be covered in slush or six hours away. Flying into Utah would give you a week of solid desert riding that you'd never forget. I always used to ride Moab and Fruita in march, but may won't be bad. As long as you're not out there in July or August you'll be fine.

Sounds like a great trip, let me know if you end up riding denver. :)

·
Your bike sucks
2,247 Posts
May, May, May.....like other's have said you are going to miss out on the high altitude rides most of Colorado is known for. However, there will be plenty of good desert-type riding that can fill a weeks worth....IMHO, I'd take Mike C up on his offer....GJ/Fruita has tons of grin inspiring riding. Moab is a hoot....and, yes, it's a bit over-run and comercialized but it's still fun and when are you going to visit it again? It has some awesome scenery if nothing else....so much to do there. St. George and Gooseberry are so far away I wouldn't bother....why spend that much time in the car? There's great riding there but it'll all be a blur and you will be hampered by 20hrs in the car to and fro...all after a long airplane ride. Better bang for the buck (hour) by sticking with Fruita/GJ and Moab. Also, there's rides that you might like that are close to Denver and along the front range...some of the open space rides are fun (esp if it's your first time there) and you can hit Buffalo Creek area for some decent riding...perfect if you need a quick fix after landing or before taking off.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
You're going where we tell you...

...since I'm driving the bus.

Mandatory 'Bone ride with Larry. Then Fruita/GJ. Then Moab-ish. The more Fruita/GJ. Then maybe a lil' more Front Range (Hall's?).

Then we're shipping your arse back to the penal colony you came from.

Any local input much appreciated.

·
climb
2,293 Posts
Soupboy said:
...since I'm driving the bus.

Mandatory 'Bone ride with Larry. Then Fruita/GJ. Then Moab-ish. The more Fruita/GJ. Then maybe a lil' more Front Range (Hall's?).

Then we're shipping your arse back to the penal colony you came from.

Any local input much appreciated.
For riding in early May--I think you've found your main ride locations. As for the front range, I'm sure there are better rides than the 'Bone and Halls that can be dreamed up. Let me know when you get here :)...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Carl Mega said:
May, May, May.....like other's have said you are going to miss out on the high altitude rides most of Colorado is known for. However, there will be plenty of good desert-type riding that can fill a weeks worth....IMHO, I'd take Mike C up on his offer....GJ/Fruita has tons of grin inspiring riding. Moab is a hoot....and, yes, it's a bit over-run and comercialized but it's still fun and when are you going to visit it again? It has some awesome scenery if nothing else....so much to do there. St. George and Gooseberry are so far away I wouldn't bother....why spend that much time in the car? There's great riding there but it'll all be a blur and you will be hampered by 20hrs in the car to and fro...all after a long airplane ride. Better bang for the buck (hour) by sticking with Fruita/GJ and Moab. Also, there's rides that you might like that are close to Denver and along the front range...some of the open space rides are fun (esp if it's your first time there) and you can hit Buffalo Creek area for some decent riding...perfect if you need a quick fix after landing or before taking off.
I should have read closer before my original post I didn't realize you were flying into Denver. From there it is way to far to drive to go very far into Utah. I wouldn't go anyfarther than Moab. That is still quite a drive from Denver.

As everyone has said, it is really a shame you aren't going out later, the high altitude stuff in both Utah and Colorado is to die for. Of course if you went out much later, Moab get pretty freaking hot.

·
2,811 Posts
I was wondering the same thing - Yo Soupboy - you ever been riding west of Fort Collins? Devils Backbone is like riding the warmup loop on Slickrock Trail and Horsetooth Mountain Park is like riding the whole loop (IMO).

·
what a joke
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow guys, thanks for all the great info and offers!

Unfortuntely we have baby #2 due end of June so my window of opportunity is limited to end of April first week of May for a trip. Plus it just gives me another reason to come back and ride again!

Jetlag and a ZERO altitude riding base (I live near the beach) means I will be a little rusty for the first day or two. So some relative easy front range ride would be good to get started.

My CO riding experience includes a few days at Winter Park riding the chairlift on rental bikes, a lap of Devils Backbone where I went OTB on my brand new bike and the first climb of Halls Ranch were we got turned back by a storm with lightning.

The only real decision I have to make is what bike to bring, gears suspension and 26" or rigid ss and 29er, I know what the board will suggest but I think its going to depend on my fitness level.... :rolleyes: Maybe I will turn the monkey into a 9spd for the trip??????

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
2melow said:
I was wondering the same thing - Yo Soupboy - you ever been riding west of Fort Collins? Devils Backbone is like riding the warmup loop on Slickrock Trail and Horsetooth Mountain Park is like riding the whole loop (IMO).
Nope, I've only ridden the 'Bone and Halls. Only reason for those shorter tracks is the fact that we'll (or at least I'll) likely be out of shape flatlanders and need some break-in time. I'd also like to see my personal crack dealer in Loveland.

How much farther is Horsetooth from Loveland? I'm always open to new trails but hate to be the non-local that everybody is stopping to wait for (or get around).

Ditto on the baby #2 issue. I knocked up Oz's old lady when he was here for Gnomefest and he kindly did the same (in the spirit of cross-cultural pollinization).

·
Your bike sucks
2,247 Posts
Soupboy said:
How much farther is Horsetooth from Loveland? I'm always open to new trails but hate to be the non-local that everybody is stopping to wait for (or get around).
It's right there.

Heck, you guys already have ridden Hall and DB....forget about those and hit something else new to you...lots of choices and good suggestions from people on this and the front range forum.

·
what a joke
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Carl Mega said:
It's right there.

Heck, you guys already have ridden Hall and DB....forget about those and hit something else new to you...lots of choices and good suggestions from people on this and the front range forum.
New trails are ALWAYS good!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts