Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starts at noon on Monday, July 28!

There seems to be even more interest this time around, so it's about time to start a new discussion thread. Before asking a bunch of stuff here, head over to the webpage first:

http://www.climbingdreams.net/ctr/

And just a reminder, this is a self-timed, individual time-trial, so as long as you play by the rules, you can start whenever you want! The date has been picked as a balance between daylight hours, temperatures, snowpack and thunderstorms to give riders the best chance of finishing.

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Towns en route.

The CTR rolls through:

Tarryall
Frisco
Copper Mountain
Leadville
Buena Vista
Silverton

Lake City is ~3 mi. off route. Not many services in Tarryall

Last year, mandatory check-ins were at Copper or Frisco, Buena Vista and Silverton. However, riders were encouraged to check in at Leadville and/or Lake City.

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
joatley said:
Is there any plans for a pre-race meeting and/or beers??
Yes, there will be a pre-race meeting. Location and time TBD, but expect somewhere within a mile or two of the trailhead, around 10am.

·
Registered
339 Posts
joatley said:
Is there any plans for a pre-race meeting and/or beers??
Oh - there's plans for beers. And if we can get my wife drunk enough I might just get to do the race.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Stefan- so there are someservices in Tarryall? The guidebook says nothing...knowing that I can get at least a couple thousand calories of junk food on that bicycle leg would make a big differencein my planning...
I'm still on track for doing this as a "tour" earlier in the month...do participants want a post regarding any negative trail conditions noted or would you rather find out for yer-selves (that'd be my preference if I was going...).
Mike

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike Brown said:
Stefan- so there are someservices in Tarryall? The guidebook says nothing...knowing that I can get at least a couple thousand calories of junk food on that bicycle leg would make a big differencein my planning...

Yes, there are "some" services in Tarryall, but they are certainly not 24-hour convenience store type services. Last year, I rolled through there just before dawn, and the 1 motel/bar/restaurant looking place was shut tight. Apparently others were able to get a philly-cheesesteak sandwich around there someplace later in the day! If you want to ride off-route a few miles south off of Kenosha Pass, I believe there are some services in the small community of Jefferson.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Stefan_G said:
Yes, there are "some" services in Tarryall, but they are certainly not 24-hour convenience store type services. Last year, I rolled through there just before dawn, and the 1 motel/bar/restaurant looking place was shut tight. Apparently others were able to get a philly-cheesesteak sandwich around there someplace later in the day! If you want to ride off-route a few miles south off of Kenosha Pass, I believe there are some services in the small community of Jefferson.
Like I said, touring. Just before dawn, I'll be asleep. 30 or so miles into the bicylce route should be mid-day for me. Hot lunch!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Pics of CTR rig

I was out training on the CT yesterday with my wife and thought I would post some pics of my rig for the CTR. Training is going well as I have been riding a lot and tweaking my gear. Segment 1, 2, 3 are in great shape and I plan on riding the detour and segment 5 and 6 over the next few weeks. I'll sure I will hit snow over Kenosha Pass but we'll see.

Any questions or comments...please let me know....

Kyle

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Wow, perfect timing post! I went out today for a fully loaded training ride as well for the CTR. Everything seems to be in place for me gear wise. Of course I'll be tweaking a few things here and there.
I traded out my Osprey Talon 22 for an Ergon BD2 pack. Aside from the lack of pockets I really like it. I'm having some pockets sewn in though so no worries there.
My total pack weight without food and water is around 11.5 lbs.
Man I just want to finish it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Sherpaxc..I have not seen the Ergon packs around town..I reviewed them on-line and they look pretty nice. I am using the new Camelback Octane 14+ (http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm) pack and have been really happy with how it rides and carries. It can hold 1400 cu inches of stuff and compresses down with a zipper on the outside when caryying smaller loads.

I have around 15 lbs (includes 100oz water) in my pack and around 10 lbs of gear on my bike. I was going to use my OR advanced bivy but came decided to go with the new Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 tent (2.6 lbs) for more comfort. I hate sleeping in a bivy unless it is really cold or rainy so I figured I better get comfortable. The tent weights about 1 lb more but it much more comfortable.

Happy Training

Kyle

·
Registered
445 Posts
Me To

kbstone13 said:
I was out training on the CT yesterday with my wife and thought I would post some pics of my rig for the CTR. Training is going well as I have been riding a lot and tweaking my gear. Segment 1, 2, 3 are in great shape and I plan on riding the detour and segment 5 and 6 over the next few weeks. I'll sure I will hit snow over Kenosha Pass but we'll see.

Any questions or comments...please let me know....

Kyle
Got in a ‘training ride’ on the CT this weekend with Jim.

Jim enjoying the last bump down to the Platte river bridge on Sat

More at http://desertmountainride.blogspot.com/

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
I knew I shouldn't have even looked this out

Ah Man I knew I just should have stayed away, but I just can't stay away, hearing you guys talk about this thing is killing me. So for the record I am out for the 08 race, still recovering from the spleen thing, haven't riden my Mtb since November!!! Yikes. But can't wait to watch you guys all suffer, ha. So keep up the planning and scheming and rock that s&*t. Coolio, good luck to all and I would be honored to add to the discussion, Peace Jefe

·
Registered
445 Posts
wookieone said:
Ah Man I knew I just should have stayed away, but I just can't stay away, hearing you guys talk about this thing is killing me. So for the record I am out for the 08 race, still recovering from the spleen thing, haven't riden my Mtb since November!!! Yikes. But can't wait to watch you guys all suffer, ha. So keep up the planning and scheming and rock that s&*t. Coolio, good luck to all and I would be honored to add to the discussion, Peace Jefe
Keep getting better Jefe

How soon till you get to go 100%?

·
Just go ride!
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wookieone said:
Yeah, it's killing me too, but I guess I can't complain since I'm out this year because of a baby, not a spleen. :eek:

Man, I sure hope you have full recovery with your spleen, and hopefully we'll start the CTR '09 together. Now that I'm used to the fact that I won't be racing, I too am looking forward to watching everybody suffer and survive and have a great time doing it! Current count for the race is 9 fo' shizzlez.

·
Registered
210 Posts
someday...

I am due to get another CAT scan sometime soon to see if all is healed inside there, it is still sore and just feels weird. Internal injuries are strange, it's not like a broken bone or anything, no obvious thing to watch heal, just a presence inside that just doesn't feel right. I am hiking a bit and riding to work, very short commute, a few road rides, but even that was overdoing it a bit. SO it is torture, everyone riding, but hell it could be worse, right? So maybe a few weeks I can ride off road, I hope untill then, books, guitar, and dog walks....so my advice, save the pushing it for the bike riding, not driving, cars bad, bikes good....Take care y'all Jefe

1 - 20 of 202 Posts