Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
That should be easy to spot! Im starting Saturday afternoon. Will be on a transition spur with a rear rack. Have fun out there!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Nice job evdog! It looks like you finished in just over 11 days, even though your tracker is still active about 200 from the end of the trail? It looks like you had favorable weather for most of the ITT.
3blackbikes, I hope everything is OK with you? I noticed you got off route after Kenosha Pass, then scratched. You made it to Kenosha in 4 1/2 days. That is impressive!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Nice job evdog! It looks like you finished in just over 11 days, even though your tracker is still active about 200 from the end of the trail? It looks like you had favorable weather for most of the ITT.
3blackbikes, I hope everything is OK with you? I noticed you got off route after Kenosha Pass, then scratched. You made it to Kenosha in 4 1/2 days. That is impressive!
Thanks!! Yeah, hoping to connect with evdog sometime later today. I think he likely got hit by some rogue storms in the San Juans, we both got some serious heavy rain/flash flooding in the middle (evdog around Leadville, me around Fooses and all the way into Buena Vista).

You are correct, I was making good time. I was on my 8th day (that's with taking nearly a full day in a luxurious motel room waiting out the monsoon rains in BV) when I crashed super hard about 25 miles from Waterton Canyon. Long story short, I made it to the fire station, ambulance ride, 11 stitches in the arm and a separated AC joint. I made a fun post about it with the gory photo in the Rider Down forum: A good gory one for ya | Mountain Bike Reviews Forum (mtbr.com)

It was a super bummer way to end the ride. I fought that trail with everything I had every day. I rode from 4 am to around 10 or 11 pm at night. There was tons of slow hiking. I had nosebleeds every day that required me to lie down with my head up for 15-30 minutes. My feet went totally numb by day 2. I ran out of food before BV. Water was scarce in places, too much in others. I slept in an outhouse. I saw a ghost on Sargents (doesn't everyone?). I ate a cheeseburger bigger than my head and watched Cast Away in BV and felt very close to how Tom Hanks felt on that island. I broke my rear derailleur and got a free one in Frisco from a nice shop mechanic. I met tons of really interesting thru hikers. I saw a moose, fox, rabbits, deer, sheep, 100 million mosquitoes, some amazing sunsets, wildflowers, big mountains, and rocks, rocks, and more rocks.

It's a ride I'll never forget.

Good luck to anyone who chooses to take on this adventure. It's one for the bucket. xoxo

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Thanks Rodney! I emailed Scott at trackleaders who manually set my status to finished. Not sure why it didn't do so on its own, I waited at the trailhead for 20min or so for the tracker to register that location. Actual finish time was just under 11 days... 10d 23 hr: 42. Far slower than a lot of racers but for such a hard route and not being a racer myself I'm stoked about that time. Lots of difficult climbing and HAB, but such a beautiful route. Flowers were out of control almost everywhere. Got nailed by pretty violent thunder storms up high the last two days to make things interesting. Still trying to dry out and clean up!

Pic from between Taylor Lake and Kennebec for now, about to get soaked in 3,2,1.... :

81 - 85 of 85 Posts