Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
MoShroom
16 Posts
Niiiiice!!! Great looking bike - so jealous you have yours. Would love your ride impressions! Or any helpful hints...
I think one reason I'm psyched about this bike is the [relative] simplicity of the design - reminds me of my old Titus Racer-X bikes back in the day - simple strut bike.

COBikeman
My time on the bike has been pretty limited and I’m recovering from a broken knee so just took it on a real mellow first trail ride today. I think this bike is perfectly nestled in that sweet spot between trail and XC that everyone is calling downcountry right now. But it’s geo is progressive XC and perfect for carving, playful, but still confident riding. It’s got a really nice balance of efficiency and forgiveness which is great for bikepacking IMO. One thing Kona does well I think is geo and this bike is no different. It’s balanced and all the numbers add up to a really cohesive, intuitive feeling ride. I agree I think the simple design is good for lower maintenance and reliability. I will know more as I start to push the bike harder, railing corners and finding it’s limit in the chunk. When do you get yours?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Broken knee?? That doesn't sound fun. At. All. Man hearing you talk about the ride is going to make this time pass so much slower - psyched to ride this thing. Best guess is late March...luckily I wouldn't ride it much between now and then anyway...

COBikeman

·
MoShroom
16 Posts
Broken knee?? That doesn't sound fun. At. All. Man hearing you talk about the ride is going to make this time pass so much slower - psyched to ride this thing. Best guess is late March...luckily I wouldn't ride it much between now and then anyway...

COBikeman
Yeah, not fun. Broke it in a Boulder garden I was sessioning, wasn’t wearing knee pads. Been 3mos exactly, the recovery is no joke, but feel really good getting back on the bike thus far. You’re not missing much without the Hei Hei right now with this crazy cold we’re getting.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Ooof. Hope you're good to go for spring/summer - sounds like you should be. Were you at Hall? yeah I've been doing some test rides on the fat bike test mule - feeling what it's like to climb with some load - handlebar bag, frame bag and seat bag - filled with random weight stuff. Been going to Green Mountain - mostly boring but can climb it 2-3 times in short order. I didn't know what to expect but will say the bike felt better than I expected - not at full load yet but getting there.

Random Notes.
Frame protection. Before doing any real research I used packing tape. yeah....now I know better. Removed most of it (lol) and got some ISC Racer Tape - Waaayyyy better.
My tent (Fly Creek HV UL1), pad (Nemo Tensor insulated), quilt (Vesper 20) and pillow all easily fit in the handlebar bag (Revelate Harness plus Salty Roll (15L I think ). Could prolly fit a Puffy, too. Thinking I'll put the stakes and poles in the frame bag for weight distribution - that said they are pretty darn light tho....

Starting to think about tank, jerry can and feed bags. Any BTDT advice appreciated. leaning towards Revelate Jerry and Mag tank.

Oh and I'm assuming I'll need a custom bag if I really want to be efficient with frame space on the Hei Hei - any advice there also appreciated - in terms of features to have included, or makers, anything. Although the shape sure is similar to Salsa Spearfish....

COBikeman

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
As I posted in a different thread (Did my first bikepacking adventure)...about my first trip. Very excited and confident in gear choices and everything so far. That trip had no water - unlike the CT.

So I've been thinking about water.

I have two Revelate Feedbags to carry a 1L bottle each.

I do have a Sawyer Squeeze (the normal one I believe - not micro or even mini). I had been intending to do everything I could to not wear a backpack or camelback. But somebody said a Camelback with an inline filter is super easy/convenient - just dunk the bladder and off you go. Makes sense. But then you gotta wear a Camelback. Would clean up the cockpit, lighten the front end of the bike - not sure if that matters.

I guess one could use a bladder in the frame bag with an inline filter instead of a Camelback, right?

The other thing I like is the UV stick - especially for when you take water from a clear moving mountain stream.

I hear the tabs make the water taste funky - I'd like to enjoy the fresh mountain water when possible. So I'm not planning to use them (although may bring a few for emergency).

So yeah would love to hear peoples thoughts on carrying/cleaning water on the CT - thanks!

COBikeman

·
This place needs an enema
15,871 Posts
Adding weight up high is a bad idea.

Adding weight to the handlebars (feedbags mounted off stem?) or fork is a bad idea for real singletrack. Avoid it if you can.

I like the Katadyn BeFree for dipping on the fly, and AquaMira for treating a big bunch at camp.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Thanks Mike.
Do you just drink out of the Katydyn (if so where do you keep it? (wondering since it's a soft bladder)), or filter the water into a bike water bottle?

Thoughts on a bladder (2L?) in the frame bag with an inline filter/longer hose?

Much appreciated-

COBikeman

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
UV only works well when combined with filtration. Also, batteries less reliable than a filter, so you'd have to carry a filter anyway.
I only use a Sawyer in the squeeze mode so I can't comment on using it as an in line filter, but I have looked at a bladder in a frame bag as an option for additional water.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I've never considered an inline sawyer filter a serious option. It creates too many spots where a hose could pop off IMO, and considering how hard you have to squeeze to filter sometimes it seems like you might have to suck on the hose pretty hard to pull water through? Interested to hear if anyone has actually tried this.

I've never minded stopping to filter water when bikepacking. It's usually a good chance to cool off and rest for a few mins. That said having a filter with good flow rate helps a lot, which is why I switched to Katadyn Bfree. You'd still have to stop to pull out and refill a bladder even with an inline filter. Taking a couple extra mins to filter the water at that point shouldn't be a big deal.
The Bfree isn't the best option to drink directly from on the go due to the soft body but it works well to carry an extra liter capacity.

You mentioned UV stick also. I used a SteriPen for a couple years and didn't like it much. The sensor had to be perfectly dry or it wouldn't work properly. Not sure what was up with that since you stick it in water during operation. But it was annoying as it was hard to get the stick dry between filtering multiple bottles. I also didn't like having to rely on batteries. Not much warning when they are going dead so then you're carrying spares. And finally even with clear mountain streams you will get floaties in your bottle unless you pre-filter. If the water is cloudy, even more thorough pre-filtering is required to remove sediment or you're out of luck. Same issue with tablets.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
UV only works well when combined with filtration. Also, batteries less reliable than a filter, so you'd have to carry a filter anyway.
If the water contains sediment, yes, it needs to be pre-filtered. (With a coarse filter like the Steripen pre-filter.) If the water is clear it doesn't need to be filtered for a Steripen to work.

Less reliable? LOL! I've thrown filters in the garbage mid-trip and in early life at home after struggling to clean them to a state of operability. Two pump filters, a Sawyer mini. My Steripen kicked ass for my wife and I for 60+ days on the Divide on one set of batteries. Then I used it more and finally replaced the batteries preemptively. AZT, CT, Lake Trail, day rides...I've used my one and only Steripen a lot. YMMV, but I'll never buy or pack another filter because the Steripen system is vastly superior IME. I'll use a pre-filter and AquaMira tabs before buying another filter.

If the Steripen is packed it too tightly there's a chance its button could be inadvertently activated. I believe this might be the cause of a couple of people reporting short battery life. The battery life of mine has been excellent if not fukking amazing.

PS: Yo @evdog :) I'll definitely take your advice on tracking navigation!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I like Aquamira liquid, even though it is chlorine, it doesn't have a strong taste. Water Treatment & Purification Drops (1 oz) Chlorine Dioxide | Aquamira

I like using treatment first if the water is running (creek) clear, but I'm more racer-minded and trying to save time. Throw it on my back and let the bladder slosh around the chemicals and in 30mins start drinking away.

I do also carry a backup filter for the nasty water, or if I'm taking a longer stop. But I find repetitive uses of the filter annoying and makes my hands cramp. :)

I'm a small person and thus a small bike so I'm stuck carrying some kind of Osprey pack. For the most part the weight isn't too much of an issue for me. I did try a fanny pack on the Smoke n Fire loop, but the first day was 95 plus degrees and the fanny pack created so much sweat which ran from my lower back down into my shorts/chamois. It caused the worst case of saddle chafe/sores that I nearly didn't finish the route, and couldn't sit down properly for weeks afterwards. Just a side note. ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
yep seen it - thanks! its a good one. As I don't have network tv anymore - I spend way too much time watching YT at night. There are some great CT vids (some are a series) on there.

COBikeman

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
It came in! So psyched. Feel really lucky that it actually arrived. The paint job is awesome - love the sparkles. Not a fan of the black drivetrain - would prefer normal metal finish but what can ya do. And it's light - scaled showed 26.3 with pedals. Got in a quick shakedown ride yesterday - this bike rips. Should truly be the perfect platform for the CT ride.

COBikeman

·
Registered
394 Posts
Look at all that frame space!! Jealous of that! I did just get a custom frame bag for my Fuel EX, it has room for either a 2L collapsible bladder or tools/food. It is nice having lots of stash options!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Yeah baby. That was definitely a factor in getting this bike - really glad it was suggested to me on this thread - (thanks again). I ordered a Rogue Panda custom bag for it about a month ago. Straps for the top tube but bolt down low to the two bottle cage locations. Should be very clean. They said timing was 8-10 weeks. Where did you get your bag from? New trip planned? I'm hoping to get something scheduled for May.

COBikeman

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah baby. That was definitely a factor in getting this bike - really glad it was suggested to me on this thread - (thanks again). I ordered a Rogue Panda custom bag for it about a month ago. Straps for the top tube but bolt down low to the two bottle cage locations. Should be very clean. They said timing was 8-10 weeks. Where did you get your bag from? New trip planned? I'm hoping to get something scheduled for May.

COBikeman
Yes mine is the same style, I got it from our local bag maker extraordinaire Bedrock Bags in Durango. They were really quick, like 3 weeks? Just in time for me to take it out on a 220 mile, 3 day/2 night desert ride. Basically a huge loop linking all the trail systems in St. George. It was a solid setup, and I was really happy with it. I'll try to post a link of a pic from the ride, see if it works.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Thought the OP might like this.

That's a gorgeous and inspiring movie and ride; on my long term bucket list now.

Newb questions: when people are talking about riding or racing the CT here, are they mostly talking about doing sections with supported breaks (either in town, race support staff, or even car support like he did)? Is it practical to do an unsupported thru ride, where you'd carry all your own food and filter water?

41 - 60 of 85 Posts