Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get some info on doing a bikepack on the Colorado Trail this summer. Looked in the archives and saw some people have attempted to do the whole thing (CarlMega), or have done most sections.

I am looking to do an overnight bikepack on the CT. Probably just do 2 days/1 night, or maybe 3 days/2 nights. Everything I need on my back which I figure will be about a 20-25lbs packweight (for a 2 day/ 1 night).

So I am hoping people can suggest sections to do for a 2 day/1 night bikepack. I have already ridden Kenosha to Georgia (one of my favorite rides) and Buff Creek to Waterton Canyon. Looking to do some other sections on the NE half of the CT (north of hwy 50).

I want to try and avoid dealing with getting around or hiking my bike through wilderness areas. I have been looking at the section from Cottonwood Pass Rd to Hwy 50 (about 45-50 miles). Has anybody ever biked the CT in that area? It looks like all trail.

And I have looked at the section from Gold Hill to Tennesse Pass. about 40 miles although it looks like there is a bunch of road riding in there.

Any info on these sections? Good for an overnight bikepack? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wish I Could Ride the CT Too

PuraVida,

I'll start with a few assumptions:

1. You'll be doing the ride sometime after mid-June.
2. You'll be able to average at least 15 miles per day with your loaded rig.
3. You are planning on doing a car shuttle or someone will be picking you up at trail's end.
4. You might be willing to go slightly further south on the CT than HWY 50.

First off, forget Gold Hill -- Too Much Hike-a-Bike with a load.

Here are the three options I would recommend in ranked order from best to worst:

#1 -- For a two-day one-night trip start at Marshall Pass Road and bike south to Cochetopa Pass. Total distance is around 45 miles with elevations usually in the 10-11 thousand feet range (probably best done after mid-June). If you want a three day ride go from Monarch Pass to Cochetopa travelling south again. Finding water could be tricky but not impossible.

#2 -- Your Cottonwood Pass Rd. to Hwy 50 option is a very nice ride with lower elevations if you are planning on going in the next month or two. I would also travel in a southerly direction. With this ride you won't get the feeling of solitude that ride #1 presents but it is still very good with only minimal climbs involved. There really isn't a great 3-day option here unless you want one very short day.

#3 -- Begin at Copper Mountain and End at Tennessee Pass (or end at the wilderness boundary beyond & bail out down the jeep road). The ride from Copper to Camp Hale is a fantastic 1-day as is the ride from the wilderness boundary back to Camp Hale BUT......These are best done as one-day rides. Also, you won't get the same backcountry feel on the ride because you'll be spending time near a highway at the half-way point.

I hope this helps and I'm damn jealous I can't be riding it myself. Have fun...

Signed,

Whozier

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I would ride it sometime in late Jun/early July before it's full on t-storm season and most things are dry up high. I would be good to go for up to 25 miles per day and I am hoping to find at least one other person to do it with which shouldn't be a problem. You're more than welcome to join me.

I'm going to go with door #2 I think, or maybe door #1. I need to do more research but this is great info to get me on the right track.

Thanks for the help Whozier. And really if you want to be in on it let me know.

·
Registered
312 Posts
i've done the section from hwy50 to cotton wood pass. it's a great ride. we did it with b.o.b. trailers, leaving from salida and ending up in buena vista. i took three days, but the third day was really short. it wouldn't be hard to do in two days, or even one if your an animal. plenty of water and great places to camp for the night. i didn't think the climbing was bad at all traveling in that direction. going from north to south there will be one long hike a bike section just south of mt. princton hot springs, but it was barely ridable going down with all the gear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.