Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
ride
5,274 Posts
kitchenware said:
I'm aware of that, but under the Supergo name, they stock more than just road and XC stuff.
And from what I understand, Supergo does a pretty good job at ins tore merchandising and the like. Kind of like Foley's and Walmart, only the $$ end up at the same place...

Lots of the "big" dept store type front range shops are more than a little scared right now. Supergo's biggest impact will be on customers that want the department store feel - lots of apparel, bright lights, etc. They're slated to be open in a week or two. It will be interesting to see how/if it shapes the local bike biz.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,010 Posts
ignazjr said:
And from what I understand, Supergo does a pretty good job at ins tore merchandising and the like. Kind of like Foley's and Walmart, only the $$ end up at the same place...

Lots of the "big" dept store type front range shops are more than a little scared right now. Supergo's biggest impact will be on customers that want the department store feel - lots of apparel, bright lights, etc. They're slated to be open in a week or two. It will be interesting to see how/if it shapes the local bike biz.
I want TOP SHELF PARTS CHEAP. If I can get it cheaper on the internet.
Thats where I will buy them. I dont care if it's JensonUSA, Universal Cycles, Supergo, or whatever.
The walmarts of Bike shops save me money and it's all about me.
I want to support LBS, but I am not made of Retail money.

·
Registered
29 Posts
But what if there were no more LBS?

Ah but think about this: What if you had to mail-order tubes or cables/housing 'cause the LBS is gone? Or try to warranty something at the LBS that you bought mail-order?

I do both. Some stuff I mail-order, other stuff I pay retail - if it's close. Ironically it's SALES TAX that usually drives me to mail-order on the big stuff.

Case in point:

I want a road bike for soggy trail days and when the snow at Eldora sux. I am leaning towards a Salsa Campeon frameset. Louisville Cyclery wants $940, Speedgoat wants $890 shipped. The $50, although substantial, would be worth it to have the service (maybe the thing ships out of alignment, crap paint, carbon stays de-bond, etc) and throw a little coin to a local shop. But wait! SALES TAX will add another $60 to the local deal, making it $110 more than mail-order. Speedgoat will get my business if Louisville Cyclery won't match. And that's when I have no sympathy for the LBS - you can either make SOME money off of me, or none 'cause of your stubborn greed. The LBS is at a disadvantage sometimes due to sales tax that out of state mail-order outfits don't have to contend with.

All I'm sayin' is - if it's close in price, give the LBS your biz or the opportunity to come close. If not, take the mail-order route. That's my 2 cents.

When does Supergo open down there? ;)

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
36Cycleplane said:
I do both.
I think you've got the right attitude.

I buy most (all here as of late) of my high-end stuff through www.mtnhighcyclery.com Larry seems to always have what I need and at the right price which is very competitive to the internet and it's right there local. Sure my LBS is an hour away, but you can't beat dealing with Larry and the shop is always full of candy. :D

My view on the LBS is, if I go in and feel like I know more than the ppl I'm talking to, I'm leaving. I also learned a long time ago that if I want my bike worked on in a timely fashion, I have to do it myself, and I do now... everything. I'm not saying I'm some high and mighty cyclist, but there are a few shops here in town that need a wake-up call. One of them got it recently and has made some really nice changes since, but I still couldn't pay their prices.

Anyway, I can't speak highly enough of mtnhigh, so I'll quit before it gets sappy...

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
36Cycleplane said:
....But wait! SALES TAX will add another $60 to the local deal, making it $110 more than mail-order. Speedgoat will get my business if Louisville Cyclery won't match. And that's when I have no sympathy for the LBS - you can either make SOME money off of me, or none 'cause of your stubborn greed. The LBS is at a disadvantage sometimes due to sales tax that out of state mail-order outfits don't have to contend with.

All I'm sayin' is - if it's close in price, give the LBS your biz or the opportunity to come close. If not, take the mail-order route. That's my 2 cents.
Supergo is the Walmart of the bike biz and if you're down with that, more power to you.

I think it's pretty f'n harsh to say that if your bike shop won't match the price it's because of "stubborn greed." To truth of the matter is that depending on their overhead (and overhead in CO is high), then matching the price may well be a negative ecomony for them. It's not that they're only making a little money, it's that they're losing money. Operating at a negative ecomony is something a lot of folks just can't understand.

Look at my biz. It costs me X amount to have my CNC mills running. So if you were to come in and see them sitting idle and say, "hey, since you're not using your machines, how about you make me some rocker plates for my full-squishy for $30 an hour and then you'll at least be making some money."

At this point, I'd explain to you that turning them on, wear and tear on the machine, the electricity, the cost of lubes & fluids, and cutters costs me $40/hr. So in effect, when the plates were done I'd just hand them over and give you a 10-spot out of my wallet and you'd walk out all happy but I'd be poorer for it. And, if I kept operating at a negative economy, I'd soon run out of tens and then I could call you and you'd pay my mortgage for me, right?

I don't have anything against mail order places, but the reason you don't find a lot of high end stuff in many shops is that there's no money in it; a brick & mortar store front has a hard time generating the sales volume to compete with the buying power of a mail order joint unless they turn into one themselves.

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Your LBS is important

For some of us, paying someone to work on a bike is unthinkable. Many of the folks on this board are master mechanics, or at least competent journeymen. But even the best of us sometimes runs into a problem we can't easily solve - seized freewheel, snapped off cable stop, bent derailleur hanger, badly dented frame tube, etc. Sooner or later, you won't be able to do the work yourself - and if there's no more LBS, you're out of luck. Do you really want to send your bike to Supergo for repairs? Yeah, didn't think so.

And it's even more important for bike folks who either don't want to or can't work on their own bikes. There are plenty of them out there, but most of them don't frequent the board. With no LBS, many people who are casual/recreational/commuter riders won't have any way to keep their bikes tuned up and in repair - and those people (and their votes) are the ones that get bike lanes built, keep trails open to mountain bikes, and don't drive their cars to work everyday (less traffic and pollution are very good things). I don't know about y'all, but I WANT bikes to be popular, convenient, and easily available. Most casual riders don't buy a bike in the mail - they don't know their size, they aren't familiar with the terminology, and they want someone to talk them through their purchase. This is EASILY worth the price markup for 90% of bicyclists.

Or maybe you're still in high school - and you want to learn to work on bikes, or need to make a little money, or just want to hang around with the oh-so-cool folks at the bike shop. So you get a job as a wrench for minimum wage. Lots of us have done it at some point - but if you've gotta drive 2 hours to the nearest SuperJensoPricePoint.com, you probably won't ever get that job.

Your LBS provides services that many people need, jobs for kids, and (usually) competent and friendly advice. But if the big mail order chains steal most of the parts/frames/complete bikes business, most of them will probably die, and I think that would be much more of a disaster for cycling than many people realize.

-Walt

·
Registered
29 Posts
DWF said:
I think it's pretty f'n harsh to say that if your bike shop won't match the price it's because of "stubborn greed." To truth of the matter is that depending on their overhead (and overhead in CO is high), then matching the price may well be a negative ecomony for them. It's not that they're only making a little money, it's that they're losing money. Operating at a negative ecomony is something a lot of folks just can't understand.

QUOTE]

I'm not sayin' any LBS should lose money, but if you choose to make nothing over something then I stand by my claim of "stubborn greed". If it's not worth the time or hassle to make a few bucks - fine by me, I can understand that.

Your analogy of your CNC stuff is not really valid, because (duh!) I would never expect someone to take in the shorts just for little ol' me. My specific example from above makes my point because I know what the dealer cost is on the purchase, and the LBS would still make quite a handsome little sum for simply making a phone call and cashing the check.

There are a lot of crappy LBS out there, and just a few good ones. I just bought a full carbon road bike from my favorite LBS last week and got a smokin' price. I doubt they made much money off of the deal, but were willing to drop the price because I was honest about other options I was considering. Smart business -> one in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Remember that the main point of my post was really the same as yours - Support your LBS.

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
You need a LBS, you don't need one... Blah blah blah.

I think it all boils down to what works best for you/me. Me? If I want to ride my bike and continue to buy good stuff, then I gotta get it where I can afford it and the LBSs in my town are SOL. Why? Because I'm not loaded and they aren't playing the price game. Why aren't they? Because most of them haven't figured out how to survive away from selling Joe Blow a cassette over MSRP or fixing Mr. Incompetent's flat and putting his tire back on BACKWARDS.

I still buy things from the LBS here in town from time to time, but I know what and where to buy and I do it ALL myself. No one else will ever work on my bike or my car, that's just how I am and I enjoy being this way. I'm not killing cycling or LBSs.

Smart LBSs are in on the internet game and will survive. Others? Well, sorry.

WARNING!! WARNING!!
Prolonged use of this product may be habit forming. No warranty expressed or implied. Caveat Emptor. Batteries not included. Any similarity to persons living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. To avoid eye strain, do not look directly into the screen. Rotate disks every 3000 hours or 3000 miles, whichever comes first. Objects on your screen are closer than they appear. Unleaded fuel only. Device is not designed to operate above Warp 6. Emits carcinogens known to cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, headache, or dizziness. See a physician if symptoms persist. Do not operate at altitudes > 10,000 feet. May explode on impact. Children under age 15 or less than 4 feet tall must be accompanied by an adult. Some parts may be offensive to adults and small furry rodents. No dwarf tossing allowed. Sometimes, may explode for no reason at all. Do not drink or take drugs prior to operating this device. Keep away from open flame. Airbag will inflate on impact. Only use a three prong grounded plug. Wear seatbelt at all times. Necktie is optional. Absolutely no refunds. Cash Only - No personal checks. Watch your step. In case of fire, break glass. No user servicable parts. Use in well ventilated area. Do not remove tag under penalty of law. No gratuities.

This product is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool. process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your canceled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to ensure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in a well-ventilated are. Keep away from fire or flames. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Unix is a registered trademark of AT&T. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate. No transfers issued until the bus comes to a complete stop. Package sold by weight, not volume. Your mileage may vary. This article does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either myself, my company, my friends, or my cat. Don't quote me on that. Don't quote me on anything. All rights reserved. You may distribute this article freely but you may not make a profit from it. Terms are subject to change without notice. Illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental. Do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law. Hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat. Do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle. No substitutions allowed. For a limited time only. This article is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted. Caveat emptor. Article is provided "as is" without any warranties. Reader assumes full responsibility. An equal opportunity article. No shoes, no shirt, no articles. quantities are limited while supplies last. If any defects are discovered, do not attempt to read them yourself, but return to an authorized service center. Read at your own risk. Parental advisory - explicit lyrics. Text may contain explicit materials some readers may find objectionable, parental guidance is advised. Keep away from sunlight. Keep away from pets and small children. Limit one-per-family please. No money down. No purchase necessary. You need not be present to win. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Instructions are included. Action figures sold separately. No preservatives added. Slippery when wet. Safety goggles may be required during use. Sealed for your protection, do not read if safety seal is broken. Call before you dig. Not liable for damages arising from use or misuse. For external use only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading. Read only with proper ventilation. Avoid extreme temperatures and store in a cool dry place. Keep away from open flames. Avoid contact with eyes and skin and avoid inhaling fumes. Do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not place near a flammable or magnetic source. Smoking this article could be hazardous to your health. The best safeguard, second only to abstinence, is the use of a condom. No salt, MSG, artificial color or flavoring added. If ingested, do not induce vomiting, and if symptoms persist, consult a physician. May cause any of the aforementioned effects and/or death. Articles are ribbed for your pleasure. Possible penalties for early withdrawal. Offer valid only at participating sites. Slightly higher west of the Rockies. Allow four to six weeks for delivery. Must be 18 to read. Disclaimer does not cover misuse, accident, lightning, flood, tornado, tsunami, volcanic eruption, earthquake, hurricanes and other Acts of God, neglect, damage from improper reading, incorrect line voltage, improper or unauthorized reading, broken antenna or marred cabinet, missing or altered serial numbers, electromagnetic radiation from nuclear blasts, sonic boom vibrations, customer adjustments that are not covered in this list, and incidents owing to an airplane crash, ship sinking or taking on water, motor vehicle crashing, dropping the item, falling rocks, leaky roof, broken glass, mud slides, forest fire, or projectile (which can include, but not be limited to, arrows, bullets, shot, BB's, shrapnel, lasers, napalm, torpedoes, or emissions of X-rays, Alpha, Beta and Gamma rays, knives, stones, etc.). Other restrictions may apply.

Attachments

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
kitchenware said:
You need a LBS, you don't need one... Blah blah blah.
I'm mostly in the same boat. I enjoy going to look at the new rigs and parts, etc. I don't need them for service, and I can ALWAYS find a cheaper price elsewhere, when it comes to the Boulder shops.

I was at a party about a month ago talking to a guy that I see about twice a year. He was telling me about how he HATED shopping for a new road bike in Boulder. Everyone he talked to was too busy trying to prove how cool they were to be working in a shop that they didn't listen to what he wanted.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts