Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The move is happening for sure now and I need to narrow down a place to rent. Just gonna rent a room first to get acquainted to the area and trails, then go from there.

Was thinking right next to Palmer Park or right up against the mountain side. Thoughts? pro's/con's?

or other suggestions.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I like the west side and downtown. Just depends on your preference though as to where you want to live, what's important to you, etc. Downtown puts you in immediate reach of the north/south (greenway) trail. And as for the west side, everyone knows it's the best side. :)

Living butted up to the mountains (over around the top of 21st street for instance) would put you close proximity to Capn Jacks and all that, but really, everything's pretty nearby.

Sign a 6-month lease if you can and look around during that time, see what you like best.

Living close to Palmer Park certainly wouldn't suck from a riding perspective, and there are some nice enough areas around there. There are some apartments fairly close to Ute Valley too.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like to walk the dog to the trails and can ride the bike any distance to them, but would like to be closer than farther.

Ridable/hikable open land close by is certainly the focus here.

So when you say "west", is that the Bear Creek area or Garden of the Gods area?

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Does it matter? You can throw a rock from one and hit the other...almost.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
If you live downtown you can ride to both and walk to the bars--I think downtown offers the best experience unless you have kids.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,109 Posts
When I moved to CoSpgs, I moved right next to Palmer Park. It was great! Back then (1994), there was more affordable lodging available over near Palmer Park. I have no clue what it's like now.

Having lived in the area now for a long time, I think the West Side would be even better for riding and proximity to interesting night life...

·
Almost Human
2,922 Posts
If you have a choice...
you can access anything from downtown that's near the PP Greenway & Rock Island
Trails. I rarely put my bike in my truck when leaving for a ride.
My rides.

Hospitals are close. Schools are good. Shopping/food is any direction. And traffic is
from the opposite direction during rush hour.

If you really have a choice... Monument or Palmer (Lake) has the goods right now
IMHO. Cheyenne Canon still is the most reliable for good year-round conditions
but moar hikers every year and shuttle monkeys shredding the trail is bumming me
out. Ran into several hiking up Capt. Jacks this a.m.. It's Apex 15 years ago.

{tongue in cheek}
Manitou is hipsters and trustafarians living in overpriced slums.

The west side has become a retirement community of angry q-tips with smelly pets.

South/East/Briargate/Woodmoor is military/families.

Black Forest is... Black Forest.

Downtown has small pockets of family neighborhoods, but lots of "local" retirees too.
We have zero neighbors with kids for my 7yo to play with, but lots of cool parks like
Monument Valley and Monument Creek in our backyard.

·
gotta get up to get down
670 Posts
Cheyenne Canon still is the most reliable for good year-round conditions
but moar hikers every year and shuttle monkeys shredding the trail is bumming me
reminds me of a similar story... I was climbing the chutes the other day and had a full crew of "mountain bikers" blow by me with no signs of yielding, and the last one yelled "THIS IS A ONE WAY TRAIL" at me because he had to lock his brakes up and skid out after a blind corner to not run me over...

I was right near the top where the chutes connects to gold camp. am i missing something? :confused:

·
gotta get up to get down
670 Posts
yep, unfortunately the group consisted of the owner and his family as well as many shop techs that I assumed had good trail etiquette. i guess you know what they say about assuming... makes an ass out of you and me.

hopefully the mountain biking community here in the Springs doesn't get great trails taken away due to this type of behavior...

now I understand why UT is always ranting... we really need to educate and advocate for our community in order to keep trails from getting restricted

·
Registered
39 Posts
"THIS IS A ONE WAY TRAIL"
I think right at that point there is signage that states "TWO WAY TRAIL" HA.

I live between Downtown and Old Co City and prefer it to any other part of town, a little biased, yes. Palmer Park is nice but I like being able to get to it via bike in about 20 minutes, or Red Rock Canyon in 10 minutes, or the top of lower Cheyenne Canon via Stratton Open space in around an hour via all dirt.

·
Almost Human
2,922 Posts
If you have a choice...
you can access anything from downtown that's near the PP Greenway & Rock Island
Trails. I rarely put my bike in my truck when leaving for a ride.
My rides.

Hospitals are close. Schools are good. Shopping/food is any direction. And traffic is
from the opposite direction during rush hour.

If you really have a choice... Monument or Palmer Lake has the goods right now
IMHO. Cheyenne Canon still is the most reliable for good year-round conditions

{tongue in cheek}
Manitou is hipsters and trustafarians living in overpriced slums.

The west side has become a retirement community of angry q-tips with smelly pets.

South/East/Briargate/Woodmoor is military/families.

Black Forest is... Black Forest.

Downtown has small pockets of family neighborhoods, but lots of "local" retirees too.
We have zero neighbors with kids for my 7yo to play with, but lots of cool parks like
Monument Valley and Monument Creek in our backyard.

EDIT: Palmer Park = i meant Palmer Lake

·
136 Posts
yep, unfortunately the group consisted of the owner and his family as well as many shop techs that I assumed had good trail etiquette. i guess you know what they say about assuming... makes an ass out of you and me.

hopefully the mountain biking community here in the Springs doesn't get great trails taken away due to this type of behavior...

now I understand why UT is always ranting... we really need to educate and advocate for our community in order to keep trails from getting restricted
That's an ugly scene. People have been riding up that trail for 30 years. There are little kids and elderly people hiking on that trail and walking dogs.

Chutes is an interesting case because it's an old moto trail with high berms that encourages hauling ass downhill. But it's always been like that and only in the past few years have people confused it with a DH-specific trail. There is a new wave of idiots washing over the Front Range.

·
gotta get up to get down
670 Posts
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to RobertHurst again."

@Paul, that's disappointing to hear, the CS West owner has always seemed to be a decent guy in my experience.
my overall experience with them has been positive as well, kinda caught me off guard honestly

on topic: I live near palmer park, and it's great but I bet it would be nice to live near the canon as well. Pretty much up to what style of riding you prefer to have out your back door.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts