Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will tell you my saga of trying to purchase a $5,000 bike thru Colorado cyclist. In the first week of April 2004 I ordered a Litespeed Niota ti w/ xt disc from Colorado cyclist. I was told they were missing a part and that they would have the part on Thursday the 15th, they built the bike and shipped it Monday the 19th. I received the bike at work Friday the 23rd in the afternoon at my work. I was giddy as a kid at Christmas.
I opened the box and started pulling out parts. When I got to the frame I should have stopped and put it right back in and sent it back. The rear derailleur cable housing was spilt and cracked. Not an earth shattering problem but enough to piss you off when you spend $5,000 on a bike. I contacted Colorado cyclist and arranged for them to send me a cable and housing. I went home and put the bike together. I was determined to ride the bike despite not being able to shift it. I mounted the seat on the seat post and then went to put it on the bike. To my disbelief the seat post fell into the frame. They had sent a 27.2mm seat post to fill a 31.6mm hole! I was furious. I contacted customer service yet again for the second time that day. She determined that yes they had sent the wrong seat post. They wanted me to send back the seat post before they would ship the right one out. I was livid! I informed them in a very Kurt manner that they would be shipping it to me next day air. On both occasions the customer service rep was not apologetic. I waited Saturday and it didn’t arrive. I waited Monday and it didn’t arrive. I had my partner call them because she is diplomatic and I was too pissed of to deal with them. Apparently they didn’t bother shipping it out till Monday. I received my parts 3 days late on Tuesday the 27th of April. Yet again I was pissed off when I opened the container, not only had they billed me for the seat post and shipping, but the cable housing they sent was not the .160 dia. Shimano sis housing but a cheap universal .190 dia. Housing that doesn’t bend as nice as the shimano stuff. I then spent my valuable time fixing a brand new $5,000 bike.
I rode the bike and was amazed with it, but I was a little unnerved by a noise coming from the front derailleur. I was unable to ride the bike for a week. On my second ride the noise was more pronounced. I got off the bike and inspected it thoroughly but couldn’t find anything wrong. I then started riding again and immediately found the problem. I suspected the Colorado cyclist put the wrong derailleur on the bike because when the suspension cycled up and down the swing arm rubbed against the shift cable. I went home and photographed the problem and sent an email to litespeed and asked for there comment. Litespeed verified that Colorado cyclist had put the wrong style of derailleur on the bike. I was livid yet again. I spent $5,000 on a @%$#&*@ bicycle and I have all this crap wrong with it in build errors.
I had my partner contact them, as I didn’t want to scream in some girl’s ear when she wasn’t the brain dead moron who assembled the bike. This was on Thursday the 6th of May. She contacted them and went right to the customer service manager. After she explained the problems and voiced my extreme displeasure in the amount of problems I was having, I had to call her and tell her how I wanted the problem resolved. I told the customer service manager that I wanted the proper derailleur, the proper shimano sis housing, new cables sent next day air and that I wanted a substantial fanatical compensation for my labor to fix a brand new $5,000 bike and for the aggravation of it all. She called me back 3 hours later to inform me that that items were being shipped out next day air and that they were going to give me a whole $50 dollar credit for replacing the derailleur and the cables. My local bike shop gets $25 (labor) to replace and adjust a derailleur and $10 each (labor) to replace a cable. So I guess they were giving me $5 as an apology for screwing up a $5,000 bike. I case your bad at math that is a whole 0.1% discount. Wow! I could hardly contain my joy! I was thinking more like $500 or a 10% discount. I waited all day Friday for my next day air package to arrive. I so wanted to ride my new bike on the weekend. It never arrived nor did it arrive on Saturday. It arrived on Monday. I was yet again so pissed off, I had my partner contact them yet again and this time she got the vice president of sales. He offered only lame excuses and a very insincere apology. His poor attitude was the final straw. I shipped the bike back on Wednesday may 12th. I now have to look for a new dealer to buy a Litespeed thru. When I screw up at work I apologize and I feel bad about it. I always try to do my best. When I spend more on a bicycle than I did on the car I drive, I expect it to be perfect. If it is not than I expect the dealer to rectify the situation immediately and completely. Colorado cyclist hasn' got a clue. :mad:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow-that is some bad service-I would go through a local litespeed dealer-Any decent shop would be happy to do a $5,000 sale and would do what ever they could do make sure that your bike was set up right-

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
so you shipped the entire bike back? I have to give you props for dealing with all their nonsense for as long as you did.

Now hopefully you can get what you want and get it done right the first time and focus on whats importat ... the ride. :D

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have only one question.....

...how much was the bike?

·
Premium Member
5,098 Posts
I dunno, but I think that perhaps Mr. 2 post Flintstone is expecting to much. Colorado Cyclist has a very good reputation at handling problems promptly and correctly. Expecting to get parts the next day may be expecting to much for any retailer with a large inventory and number of orders. When you order mail order you are usually giving up the ability to have instant service in exchange for better prices. It sounds like you are looking for a full service LBS, rather than a mail order shop. Finally, did you do any research before plunking down all that money on bike that is arguably very overpriced. For the same money you could have a very nice Seven, Dean, Custom Titus TI, Turner, Santa Cruz, etc, all of which are probably better bikes.

·
"Mr. Britannica"
1,818 Posts
when sending something back

always contact them and tell them to send a call tag... that way THEY pay for return shipping. No reason you should have to, esp a complete bike.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think the bike was $5000.00

I'm not sure but I think that the bike was $5000.00. I've has great luck with CC. Although I have not bought a $5000.00 bike from them. I've gotten a entire XT gruppo, but that would not go on a $5000.00 bike. I've bought tires from them, but they did not cost $5000.00. I just got some Stans sealent, that was only $54.00. They shipped it out the next day.

It looks to me that CC took pretty good care of you. Yes they did make mistakes on some of the parts, but when you call up and be "kurt" and demand next day air on the shipping why should they do that?. They did rectify all of the problems, and they did it fairly quickly. You forgot to mention what time of day your partner "sounds gay to me, not that there is anything wrong with that" called. If you called them late in the day they could not get the parts shipped out same day, but the next day which seems to be the case.

Sounds to me that you should build up your own $5000.00 bike becasue you are so anal nobody else will do it right. Too bad you rode it, and are now sending a used bike back to CC, I bet that will knock $2000.00 off of a $5000.00 bike. If I were CC I would tell you to go pound sand becasue you rode the bike. If you have $5000.00 to spend why are you trying to save a buck through mail order? Many shops will be happy to take $5000.00 for that bike.

Good luck know, I hope you got an RA# or something before you returned the used $5000.00 bike.

·
Bicyclist
2,849 Posts
Kanute said:
I'm not sure but I think that the bike was $5000.00. I've has great luck with CC. Although I have not bought a $5000.00 bike from them. I've gotten a entire XT gruppo, but that would not go on a $5000.00 bike. I've bought tires from them, but they did not cost $5000.00. I just got some Stans sealent, that was only $54.00. They shipped it out the next day.

It looks to me that CC took pretty good care of you. Yes they did make mistakes on some of the parts, but when you call up and be "kurt" and demand next day air on the shipping why should they do that?. They did rectify all of the problems, and they did it fairly quickly. You forgot to mention what time of day your partner "sounds gay to me, not that there is anything wrong with that" called. If you called them late in the day they could not get the parts shipped out same day, but the next day which seems to be the case.

Sounds to me that you should build up your own $5000.00 bike becasue you are so anal nobody else will do it right. Too bad you rode it, and are now sending a used bike back to CC, I bet that will knock $2000.00 off of a $5000.00 bike. If I were CC I would tell you to go pound sand becasue you rode the bike. If you have $5000.00 to spend why are you trying to save a buck through mail order? Many shops will be happy to take $5000.00 for that bike.

Good luck know, I hope you got an RA# or something before you returned the used $5000.00 bike.
Uh, $5000 is a lot of money for a bicycle. It's really <I>not too much to expect</I> for it to have the correct parts when delivered. Heck I've seen $500 bicycles that have accomplished this quite well.What shop do you work at? I would like to avoid the typical hippy-shittay bike shop attitude that you display.

·
3,533 Posts
tl1 said:
Uh, $5000 is a lot of money for a bicycle. It's really <I>not too much to expect</I> for it to have the correct parts when delivered. Heck I've seen $500 bicycles that have accomplished this quite well.What shop do you work at? I would like to avoid the typical hippy-shittay bike shop attitude that you display.
:werd: thats a lot of money to spend and not get the right ****.

·
Registered
136 Posts
When Spending 5K Go to LBS!

Ok Freddy I feel your pain but I would have to say you brought it on yourself. If you go in and spend Five Grand at your local Bike shop you will most likely have great service for the rest of your life. Why do you throw money like that at people you have never met? Litespeeds aren't that cool or rare to have to go find one through a mail order shop. If you really needed the frame you should have bought that and worked something out with your local shop to build it up. You could have had them hand pick every part and really know what was going into your dream bike. Five Grand? Mail order? That is plain dumb. I'm not bagging on CC because you brought it on yourself. Think of all the riding time you would have had when you wheeled that freshly built wonderbike into the shop that built it and had them fix your rinky dink problems on the spot. Now everytime the shop sees the bike they are going to charge you full rate for everything and will be bummed that they missed a 5K sale.

Silly Fred.

·
Registered
11,677 Posts
Wrong parts, bad customer service...

CDMC said:
I dunno, but I think that perhaps Mr. 2 post Flintstone is expecting to much. Colorado Cyclist has a very good reputation at handling problems promptly and correctly. Expecting to get parts the next day may be expecting to much for any retailer with a large inventory and number of orders. When you order mail order you are usually giving up the ability to have instant service in exchange for better prices. It sounds like you are looking for a full service LBS, rather than a mail order shop. Finally, did you do any research before plunking down all that money on bike that is arguably very overpriced. For the same money you could have a very nice Seven, Dean, Custom Titus TI, Turner, Santa Cruz, etc, all of which are probably better bikes.
For that amount of coin i'd be pissed too.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
Troll

fredrick flintstone said:
I case your bad at math that is a whole 0.1% discount. Wow! I could hardly contain my joy! I was thinking more like $500 or a 10% discount. I waited all day Friday for my next day air package to arrive.
In case you are bad at math, $50 is 1%, not .1%.

A $5000 mistake would have been them sending you an Orbea Orca or Starship instead of your $3k bike. As it is, you are out the cost of return shipping ($50), but you got to demo the bike for a day ($70 in Moab) so you really came out $20 ahead.

And since you have 2 posts, all we can do is assume you signed up here specifically to slander one of the best (but not cheapest) online retailers out there.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
He got the Ti version which is $3500 frame only. Ridiculous but that's what they charge...

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/comm...FNBR=772&CRPCGNBR=772&CI=1,223,772&TextMode=0

$1500 for a build kit, fork and wheels to make $5k.

I would see this as an opportunity to get a better bike for less money. Look at Titus, Turner, Ellsworth, Santa Cruz, Ventana and other top brands with much better suspension designs.

·
Registered
396 Posts
holy #$%-ing #$*@!!!

$5000 for a bicycle? for the love of god, man! by mail order? my head hurts at the thought.

first, it sucks entirely the way you were treated. do you need to have a litespeed dealer (that stocks the bikes) to buy one? alot of small mfrs will sell in 1's and 2's to any dealer on special order, unless they have a real dealer nearby. it's possible your lbs could get that bike. might still have minor problems, but they can be fixed while you wait.

on the other hand, $5k is more than i spent for my last full suspension bike (pictured below), but i had to drive to dealer to pick it up myself. nonetheless, i daresay the level of sophistication of the suspension is superior.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
My Partner

I never send my "partner" to do my dirty work. I think this is a bigger problem than the issue with CC.

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
Homebrew said:
He got the Ti version which is $3500 frame only. Ridiculous but that's what they charge...

http://www.coloradocyclist.com/comm...FNBR=772&CRPCGNBR=772&CI=1,223,772&TextMode=0

$1500 for a build kit, fork and wheels to make $5k.

I would see this as an opportunity to get a better bike for less money. Look at Titus, Turner, Ellsworth, Santa Cruz, Ventana and other top brands with much better suspension designs.

Holy Shiz Nat.
Well, I take that part back, but the rest stands.

·
3,533 Posts
Dirdir said:
I never send my "partner" to do my dirty work. I think this is a bigger problem than the issue with CC.
why not ... im sure secrataries dont have **** to do ALL the time so you might as well have em do something.

·
Banned
20,161 Posts
WAY overpriced

Colorado Cyclist is WAY overpriced.

for that kind of cash, you coulda gotten a much better deal at a LBS, and/or a really decent internet retailer like Speedgoat.

I feel for ya. I believe ya.

I'm not gonna shop at CC anytime soon, if ever.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I feel for you.
I understand why you had your partner try to resolve it; hot heads never win.
$5,000: I'd buy elsewhere than Colorado Cyclist. If no lbs wants to give you a good deal, buy from Speedgoat.
In fact, just go to Speedgoat... and don't get a Niota. Too much money for what you're getting, even the alum version. Sorry to say, but in the end it's your money and your dream ride.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts