1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Rollin 29s
1,004 Posts
Completely true and I agree. A riding buddy is building his own lights and is experimenting with a light amber LED. While not as efficient as the CREE P7 and T6 blinding white LEDs, and thus requiring a higher battery capacity or more batteries for the same amount of run time, they are much more pleasant on the eye, show contrast on the trail noticeably better and light up the trail equally as well.

I would like to see more options like this available in commercially manufactured lights.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I totally agree. Yeah, amber could make the ride a little more pleasant. I guess that could be the argument against a high CRI light, they make you concentrate a little harder. There are some great LEDs out there that have a very nice color temp in the mid 4K range, but they're not used as much as the newer white/blue lights, exactly for the reason you mentioned about efficacy.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
I don't know if it's just me getting old or what but I started getting severe eyestrain with my bright white LEDs until I rebuilt with XP-G R4 5B1 neutral tint (~4500K). These aren't the brightest but with 3 on the helmet and 2 on the bars, they are more than adequate in output and burn times.

It was pretty bad. My eyes wouldn't focus for around 1/2 hour with the old lights and my eyes were bloodshot for two months after a 6 hour race (little more than half at night). Now with the neutrals, no problems whatsoever. This is a big reason I won't be upgrading anytime soon.

It's kind of funny though. When riding by myself, I don't even notice the tint. It's only when riding with people (basically everyone else) using the sterile bright white lights that it's noticeably yellower. It's okay, I'm used to being the weirdo.

·
Registered
302 Posts
It's kind of funny though. When riding by myself, I don't even notice the tint. It's only when riding with people (basically everyone else) using the sterile bright white lights that it's noticeably yellower. It's okay, I'm used to being the weirdo.
Not weird at all... your experience will probably become more and more common as time goes by and the "whiter/brighter" craze dies down. Looking back, the 35 Watt MR16 halogens were pretty darn good, except for the 5 pound lead-acid battery that you had to lug around.;)

Custom builders will always have an advantage in this area compared to the mass-market, imo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.