Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the bike shop the other day(looking at lights) and some kid comes into the store with his bike and looks around for a few minutes. Then a bike shop tech comes out to help him. He said his bike rides perfect and is light weight. The tech then asked why is it here? He said the Crank doesn't match the rest of the componants. His componants were all LX and his Crank was XT. The tech told him he's better off with what he already had. But the kid said it's too ugly......LOL....is this isolated or does this happen often?

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
Heres an idea, the kid should upgrade everything up to XT. :thumbsup:

All in all, I dont think it really matters, as long as everything works and your happy then who cares, I think the kid is beeing kinda silly and a bit to critical.

I used to own a pretty funky looking bike, but it was all top of the line and rode killer.

brown frame - red decals

red chain

blue rims

red stem

green pedals

everything else I think was mostly silver and black.

·
Registered
312 Posts
this happens alot i think. i used to sell ski boots, and (mainly with the female customers) the person would finally be in a great fitting boot, and totally happy with it, after going through 10 other pairs, but not buy it because of how it looked....that pissed me off to no end....but people are people..what can you do

·
Doctor
264 Posts
digitalayon said:
I was at the bike shop the other day(looking at lights) and some kid comes into the store with his bike and looks around for a few minutes. Then a bike shop tech comes out to help him. He said his bike rides perfect and is light weight. The tech then asked why is it here? He said the Crank doesn't match the rest of the componants. His componants were all LX and his Crank was XT. The tech told him he's better off with what he already had. But the kid said it's too ugly......LOL....is this isolated or does this happen often?
This is what happens when one cares more about the bike (the item) than the activity (the riding). The kid's itemized. It's too sad..and way too common. :(

jeff

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Of course color is important...

... why else would people buy wheels that have colored spokes ...

·
I am a pathetic rider...
644 Posts
Color is obviously the most important part of your bike, every body knows that red is fastest, bonus points if the bike is color coordinated in a tastefuul manner. And moar decals = moar better.

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
And apparently these days, if you wear pink and or your bike has pink on it somewhere, it supposedly makes you more macho.........
Not sure how that came about......= )
It's nice having a bike with matching bits, but shouldn't be top priority.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
It's one thing if you're upgrading as you've found the limits of the parts or worn them out and to go to a color match at the same time....it's quite another to do it "just because."

My '06 Cake has become a study in blue (with black and grey mixed in for some contrast) as I have replaced components as I have had the need to. If I were building up something from parts, sure matching would be nice...but to change working stuff on a production bike for looks just flies in the face of my function-the-form mindset.

·
Shred all that can be
800 Posts
VOTE: OCD (in my case, not so much the kids)

I'm gonna go with the OCD (to a degree) I am currently building my bike from the ground up, I do have OCD, it usually pertains to the aspects of even-ness, for instance; doing things an even number of times, like sit ups or even-ness in having everything be symmetrical (thats the big one, you should have seen me the day the Chiropracter told me my left shoulder and hip were about a half inch lower than my right, every chance I got I would lean to the right in hopes of fixing it) But Anyway, I am able to get all the parts for my bike from the start and although some setups might have been better componentry for the same price, I still went with the SLX group for EVERYTHING because I knew, when I finally rode it I would be thinking "Hey did that shift right? maybe If the shifters and the rest of the drivetrain were the same it would shift better" Not to mention I would go nuts over not having all the componentry be at the same performance level, to have the great performance of one thing not be "up to par" with all the rest.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Hes a KID he should get s kick up the arse no Macca's and be thankful he has XT anthing and just ride his bike and STFU, his parents need a kick in the teeth :D

This is whats wrong with the world, I' sent him packing with a lecture about when we were kids all we wantd to do was ride and not go home, not worry about what fooking color this or that we had that **** was for GAY kids :p

We wore Jeans and tee's the end!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL....now that I think about it, I should have bought a LX crank and traded him for his XT.

And sixspeed......carefull with the SLX .....the crank and shifters from that line I found to crap. But then again I beat the hell out of my bike.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I'm a clyde.....so I'm sure that's part of it.....but I was riding in mid-fall and a 9 inch root was covered with leaves. I hit it hard and went flying. After I licked my wounds, I got back on and noticed that my shifter was bent slightly and no longer shifted. And as I looked down, my crank started to come off and bits of metal were grinding out of it and it was getting stripped by every turn. After taking with Shimano, they said that the type of aluminum that was used was a "softer" alloy and just wasn't as strong. After talking with a few engineers who happen to know about the softer alloys, they said it makes the cost of materials go down in price and has some give in quality when it comes to being manufactured. Also I showed them the parts and they said that much of the SLX parts are not the same metal qualities as the LX and XT once were.

·
Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
603 Posts
YES.

Matching componest are 35.53987% lighter and 139.432% stronger. Which result by my rough calculations that equates to a 3495% increase in pedaling efficancy.

>> Real answer: NO, but if you are going to spend the coin dont you want it to look nice.. color is never the first reasont to buy a part

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
digitalayon said:
Not too often, unless you read the AM forum. http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=336818

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.