Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,628 Posts
Yup

mouse jockey said:
Does anybody know the details of this? La Plata County DA Craig Westburg died in a mountain bike accident in Arizona. Very Sad.

Denver Post Article

EDIT: Found additional info in the Arizona forum.

Pemberton Crash
That was the "crap" I had read about a few days ago when I put up that sunrise pic on the Turner forum. It's like a friend of mine said (when discussing injuries) "any day I'm breathing is a good day". That's also kind of why I'm riding slower and slower these days. I've come across a few bodies on the trail in the last few years. Don't know how one guy came out (never heard from him again) but the other guy was gone when I got there. It's a pretty frantic time till the search and rescue/EMT crew arrive.

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
That is truly tragic

I was just thinking last night, as I was coming down Meyers Ranch in the snow, thinking about sliding out and striking a tree or a rock with my head, could be a bad ending to the story. Knowing that, I try as best I can to minimize my risks.
Mtn Biking is inherently a dangerous sport, but like xcguy, I find that as I have gotten older, I do go a bit slower, choose to walk 10 yards rather where the margin for error is slim and the propensity for serious injury is great. I used to get really annoyed if I at least try to every section of a particular trail, I had to come to terms with weighing the risks and walk where it did not come out in a positive favor.

Please note I am not making any type of judgement for this individual, I have no knowledge of him or his riding style, I was only relaying my personal viewpoint on the potential dangers that come with the sport.

My prayers go out to his family during this time of loss.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,460 Posts
btadlock said:
I was just thinking last night, as I was coming down Meyers Ranch in the snow, thinking about sliding out and striking a tree or a rock with my head, could be a bad ending to the story. Knowing that, I try as best I can to minimize my risks.
Mtn Biking is inherently a dangerous sport, but like xcguy, I find that as I have gotten older, I do go a bit slower, choose to walk 10 yards rather where the margin for error is slim and the propensity for serious injury is great.
You need to get more travel, boy! :cool:

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
Lelandjt said:
If I were a DA I'd be scared of karma gettin me at any moment.
From my perspective, I think karma would be more of a concern for a defense attorney, not so much for the public servant district attorney, which this gentleman was.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
btadlock said:
From my perspective, I think karma would be more of a concern for a defense attorney, not so much for the public servant district attorney, which this gentleman was.
Unfortunately, this DA had some bad karma over the past year. No judgment here, simply that Mr. Westberg had some public difficulties this past summer. And maybe karma is not the correct term.

If there is a good side, he was able to decide, along with his wife, that he did not want to be on the respirator. What a tough discussion that must have been.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.