Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone played with these? I did a quick search of the forum and didnt find anything. I got bored tonight so I went to walk around wal-mart (the bane of my existence) and in the flashlight section they had a few models of these Coleman MAX flashlights. They claim to have Cree XRE emitters, and the packaging said something like 85 lumens for the headlamp, 105 for the CR123a powered light, and 115 for the AAA powered light. They were all around a $25 pricepoint.

I grabbed the AAA powered light, and while I dont think it quite puts out 115 lumens, it seems like it has a lot of bang for a $25 flashlight.

Anybody using these? Thoughts?

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
If it is a Cree XR-E led, you might be able to almost double the output by putting one of the cheap DX 800 or 1000mA drivers in it. Might need more battery capacity though.

JZ

·
mtbr member
890 Posts
If you need a light today, the Colemans are probably fine. I was gonna buy one a while back during their friends and family sale, they seem to make some nice lights - nicest ones at WallyMart at least. However if you are going to upgrade it anyway, I suggest just getting a DX light - for the same price you can get a Q5 or R2 light with better specs.

Just checked Coleman's site and saw their Exponent - looks cool, but expensive - I think it is really cool that they are making a real flashlight and not some plastic fantastic junker lights.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have the 3 AAA Coleman headlamp and it I really like it. It claims 105 lumens on the package. I use it daily around the house on projects that require some extra light. The light has a high/low for the main white led and it also has two red leds on it. It is fairly bright and can light up the yard a bit. I also have the 2 AA coleman flashlight that claims 115 lumens. I like the beam on the flashlight better than the headlamp as it has a wider spot, but I a disappointed that the flashlight can't dim.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
I just gave myself this for Christmas. I think it's the same flashlight MaximusHQ mentions. It seems like a good value, but I'm not that informed about modern lights (I'm still rockin' the TurboCat S47).

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
i've been using 2 of the coleman maxx AA lights for trail riding without a problem. it's just enough light for me.

i setup one on the bar with steel hose clamps and one on my helmet. i read on candlepowerforums.com that the actual rating is about 100 lumens for these lights..NOT BAD for 25 bucks! Runtime has been over 2hrs until i notice some dimming on duracel coppertops...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so I went back tonight and dug around some more, and found one of the 2aa lights. I picked it up and it seems to be a little brighter than the 3aaa one. Im planning on putting the 3aaa on the bars, and the 2aa on the helmet. Should work out well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.