Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I rode for about an hour in +16F. We agreed that we were pushing the limits of both bike and rider, but what a fantastic ride! Frozen ground/snow/bit of ice made things fast and exciting.

Rode in Under Armor Cold Gear shirt and pants, thermal socks, ski hat under the helmet and managed to stay relatively warm. (read: no frostbite) Cables were sluggish at best. Would definitely do it again!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I've ridden at -2F once years ago. So far this winter my coldest commutes have been at 5F and normally they are around 15F.

I'm trying to ride to the office everyday this year and although I think I'm prepared for it, I'm glad that I've had off on the days when it was -15F.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Temps for training, the coldest I'll go is 32 F, otherwise I have to worry about keeping warm rather than focusing on the training.

Commuting to work, the coldest was -15 F with a light wind which made it feel like -25 F :eek:

We are currently in a cold spell. Air temp as I type this is -6 F :eekster: :madman: :eek: :mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I planned on riding Sat but after a very fun, snowy and slushy ride Fri I rinsed off my bike. Despite drying it well, the whole thing is essentially frozen and has shut down on me now. Forget about gears and the cassette is basically welded to my wheel...phock it:rolleyes: . Back to the basement. BTW it's -15F in the wind here in Western NY.

Oh, I'd say around 10F for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, so +16 isn't a big deal. I get it. :)

What gear do you guys ride in to keep the cold under control? Also, I apparently love riding on frozen ground, but don't want to kill my bike. Other than keeping the drivetrain clean and lubed, is there anything I need to do to any components so things keep working?

·
Registered
105 Posts
It was straight up -20F when I grabbed the bike and headed the 2miles to the bus stop this morning in Minneapoils.

Some people say to use a lightweight lube in your freewheel rather than grease. It's suppose to prevent the pawls from sticking (due to grease thickening), but I've never had it happen before and I ride all winter everyday.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
bruejam_db said:
What gear do you guys ride in to keep the cold under control?
My commute is short....only 5ish miles. But here is a list of the clothing I wear.
Craft Windstopper Thermal Jacket
Craft Thermal Leg warmers
Craft Nemo Booties
Craft Lobster gloves
Trek Balaclava
Bell Sweep R Helmet
Nema Baggies
SockGuy wool socks
Thermal LS jersey
Craft Thermal base layer

When getting ready to ride in freaky cold temps think one word.....LAYERS

·
person
684 Posts
This morning it was about +5 or so with a wind chill of about -10. A week ago it was -15 with a wind chill of -30. Thats really cold for around here (central NewEnland), and it pushed me to my limits. The ride home from class only takes 10 min and my hands were almost past the point of pain.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
-33 C or -27F, pretty windy morning commuting, about 45 minutes, cold snap lasted 3 or 4 days.

Lake M100s with down booties.
MEC tights.
tee shirt
two MEC windproof running jackets.
Swedish army wool pants, Norwegian wool sweater for outer layer.
Bell qualifier Pro helmet with turtle liner.
Scott googles
Helly Hansen Mitts.
I had the zippers open a bit.
Takes about 10 minutes to get dressed up.

Probalby good to -40 C.
Fox F130X goes ridgid at about -20C.
Suburu battery died, but I would have rode anyway.

·
Dude...
1,309 Posts
Did some commuting in Bozeman at -30F.. Bike didn't work correctly at all: fork rebounded like mud, didn't shift, etc.. On the bright side the ice wasn't as slippery as usual..

Coldest reasonable temp I've ridden was probably in the teens, any colder than that and it's better to just stay in bed really..

·
Registered
874 Posts
I always thought -25C was the temp where you started to freeze your lungs? Maybe if you're not breathing too hard it's OK. I run at -20C no problem.

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
bruejam_db said:
Okay, so +16 isn't a big deal. I get it. :)

What gear do you guys ride in to keep the cold under control? Also, I apparently love riding on frozen ground, but don't want to kill my bike. Other than keeping the drivetrain clean and lubed, is there anything I need to do to any components so things keep working?
I am still working on my layering but the big enemy is getting too hot, then sweating, and getting cold. Less is more, basically. Unless you NEED a waterproof shell you may be better off with something more breathable.

Yesterday (-15C with nasty windchill) I had on

Exustar Winter Boots (from MEC -- super cheap, very good)
Wigwam ski socks
Polypro long johns under regular MEC midweight tights
Merino wool baselayer under a midweight fleece under a Microft shell
Balaclava & skullcap & ski goggles
'Paris' brand XC ski gloves <-- amazing

However, my torso got WAY too sweaty. I would have been better off (I think) with a polypro wicking layer under a soft shell or something.

I wasn't cold at any point.

The day before, -8C, I just had a polypro base layer under an Old Navy hoodie and that was completely fine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
One time, it was -40 deg C and with windchill, it was -44 deg C here in northern Manitoba, Canada. Crazy cold and I had snots-icles and a icey beard by the time I got to work (only about 4km away but it was enough). Wanted to ride this weekend (-39 deg C, but with severe wind chill warning of about -52 deg C) but bike is outta commission (broken chainstay and road bike is not equipped for snow).

I agree about the clothing. Torso gets pretty hot and sweaty. I have a neck gaitor that I pull up pass my nose. I also wear a hardhat insulated liner, which tucks into the helmet (safety first!) nicely and I can still bike. I wear my trust Gore-tex (from the "Wet"-Coast orignally - never leave home without it), mitts (I use grip shift and they work okay with mitts) and nice warm, but thin long-johns beneath windproof pants. The wind up here is nasty during winter. Ugggghhh....

Main point to consider - keep moving!!!! You generate heat that way. If you stop, the cold will getcha and the sweat will start to freeze.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I have been colder skiing and climbing, with really heavy breathing, never frozen my lungs (you would be long dead).

When really cold I breath through some sort of scarf arrangement.
Got a touch of frost bite on my check, though.

You do get a skiers hack going though, and I can make a lot of snot, by spring.

·
Registered
360 Posts
-14 F is the coldest I ride home from work at night. After that I walk. In winter I work nights and get off work anywwhere from 12:30am to 4:30am. My bike is a rigid fork single speed with a Bob trailer, and it's about a 2% grade climb for the ride home. I usually stay warm. Snowboard helmet with goggles, Lake winter shoes or oversize lightweight hikers with wool socks.

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
i don't know specifically, but it was a bit below zero F. probably -10F or so. i was pulling a couple hundred pounds of recycling at the time. only like 3 miles though. sorry no action shots, but here's the website of the people i used to work for, when i was in college. http://bikesatwork.com

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
I think like 15 degrees or something back when I was a messenger. It never gets all that cold here (comparatively) in Seattle. I always wore two layers of tights when it was that cold, sometimes those Bellweather windstopper pants, too, and several layers of jerseys with a wool-lined Carhart jacket on top.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.