Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this sound like a cold battery problem?

I built an p97z DIY Dinotte Style light with 3 Seoul Z u bins on a 14.4 V Li 2200 mAH battery. The unit has the lights in series to a BuckPuck regulator.

Starting the light in summer..no problem.

Starting the light at 20F it cuts out in less than half a second. It takes about 50 switches On/Off to get the light to stay ON.

Now I go riding. After an hour I turn the switch off. And when I turn the switch on, the light starts up immediately..no problem.

Is the Li battery below or near the Vbias for the 3 LEDs in the cold and does it improve with use (hotter) or is the buck puck not running well in the cold?

Nate

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps I have not made this clear. But the bike, light, and battery is sitting outside in the cold ~25F when I start it up. So I am starting on cold batteries.

Once the light is stable, it runs the whole commute of 50min.

But only after about 50 switches of the lamp switch.
The light always starts about a half second..then dies.

Maybe I should short the light to use 2 LEDs on startup in the cold?

nate

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I have had the same issue with a buckpuck light I think it is a cold driver problem
it worked perfectly when I warmed up the light.

there is also a extreme cold problem with the flex drivers and they dim thinking they are overheating. untill the board warms up a little

this has been fixed now by George in all new drivers

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
troutie-mtb said:
I have had the same issue with a buckpuck light I think it is a cold driver problem
it worked perfectly when I warmed up the light.

there is also a extreme cold problem with the flex drivers and they dim thinking they are overheating. untill the board warms up a little

this has been fixed now by George in all new drivers
Sounds like the way to trouble shoot this is to leave the battery outside in the cold, warm the light up and see is this solves the problem. If the light then works then the problem was (is) most likely the driver. If there is still a problem then it could be a problem with the PCB protection circuit on the battery. To test that you use another voltage source. If that doesn't fix it you have problems... Lastly I might suspect a bad solder joint somewhere or a loose connection wire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.