Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I don't like wearing my road biking tights in the cold on the mtb. I'm always worried about snagging them on something and tearing a pricey pair of clothing. That being said, there doesn't seem to be any type of long pant with some pockets and a chamois. So what do you guys wear on the trail during those cold days out riding?

·
!Vamos, flaco!
1,364 Posts
I wear wool knickers over chamois shorts, tights, and/or leg warmers. I also commute in Carhardts quite frequently.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If its not too too cold I wear hot chilies w/ baggy shorts on top, and then I take some thin-ish ski socks and pull those up high. Seems to work nice-- also depending on the trail, shin/knee armor is really nice (especially the full neoprene stuff)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha ha, funny you should say that. I smacked my shins/knees a couple of times today at Dakota Ridge and decided that I'm sick of being sore so I ran to the store and picked up a pair. I was thinking they might do the trick on days I'm on something real technical like that. Those Enduras look like the ticket though! Those are super nice.

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
I wear my DH pants, but if you don't have them already they're kinda expensive.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Two options...

Performance has a set of windblocking tights (blocks some areas, breaths in others) called Triflex. You can get them unlined for around $65. They are good up to low 40s, and the feet, ears, or hands get cold before they do.

REI has a set of scholer pants (nantahalia pants?) made for hiking, etc. The cuffs have a velcro draw, or they can be rolled up like nickers. There are two front pockets, and non-expanding cargo on the left side. Very versitile temperature wise as well.

Regular chamies under both of these options allows them to be used multiple times between launderings, so if you want to hit it two days in a row no issues with waiting for them to hand dry.

·
Which way? Uphill.
833 Posts
schwing_ding said:
Performance has a set of windblocking tights (blocks some areas, breaths in others) called Triflex. You can get them unlined for around $65. They are good up to low 40s, and the feet, ears, or hands get cold before they do.

REI has a set of scholer pants (nantahalia pants?) made for hiking, etc. The cuffs have a velcro draw, or they can be rolled up like nickers. There are two front pockets, and non-expanding cargo on the left side. Very versitile temperature wise as well.

Regular chamies under both of these options allows them to be used multiple times between launderings, so if you want to hit it two days in a row no issues with waiting for them to hand dry.
I'll second the Performance Triflex, very warm. My opinion on their temp rating difers though, anything over low 40's and these are too hot, and I'm easily chilled. They have a nice windblock neoprene front and thin back and have an articualted knee.

I've worn the Triflexes down to just below zero with a thin pair of leg warmers underneath to supplement. And having used them for commuting the last 2 winters I'm impressed with the durability.

On sizing these are different than other Perf. tights, I'm a medium in their tights, but I had to go large for the length, these are much shorter than their other tights.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.