Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
lurking since 1999
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I have tried the ole hiking boots and also shoe covers. Now I am looking to buy a pair of winter shoes. Any shops have any to try on? Been to the Trek store and Bicycle Bobs in Portsmouth. Thinking of driving up to Bikeman its about an hour away. Usually go up there for bikes, but shoes, I don't know. Any place that is a little closer? I live the Berwicks area in southern Maine.
Also any recommedations of shoes?, my dogs are on the wide side.

Thanks in advance.
money

·
Registered
539 Posts
call allspeed in Portland they may have something..papawheelies?
also we do a night ride in Springvale around 6 tuesdays night if you have lights you should come tomorrow.
recommendations i ahve none cause i ride with my normal riding shoes. going to try toe warmers tomorrow.

·
lurking since 1999
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Totally forgot about papa wheelies, Ill check them both out.

Thanks for the invite, it would be great to check out that area, but I don't have any lights at this time.
Maybe that will be on my wish list also.

On a side note I was at Bicycle Bobs and found out that the shop is closing. They are having big markdowns on everything in the store. Looking at the lights didn't even cross my mind, I'll have to go back there.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
nickcarll said:
also we do a night ride in Springvale around 6 tuesdays night if you have lights you should come tomorrow.
recommendations i ahve none cause i ride with my normal riding shoes. going to try toe warmers tomorrow.
Is this a Gorham Bike shop ride or Mainiacs ride by chance?

·
think
853 Posts
Bicycle Bob's has been "going out of business" for like six months now. It's to the point where he's ordering in new stuff to sell to people cut rate because he doesn't have it in stock. I guess he's holding out until after Christmas?

·
Registered
539 Posts
idbrian said:
Is this a Gorham Bike shop ride or Mainiacs ride by chance?
it is not either one of them usually my buddy myself and a couple otherdudes been trying to get other people out but no one ever comes.
We usually leave from Crum cycles which is across the street from the DMV in springvale. open to anyone who wants to come the more the merrier right? usually do 10-20 miles pending who goes, and how cold it is...

·
lurking since 1999
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
idbrian, Bicycle Bob's didn't really have a big selection of shoes left, couple of shimano and answer shoes left.

Climber25, I was looking at those but ended up with the Lake cold weather ones.

nickcarll, Bought some cold weather pants and jacket and a helmet light. What nights do you usually head out? Is it an advanced ride? Have yet to do a night ride will have to charge the new light and give it go.

Are there any other night rides in the area? MT A?

Thanks to everyone for the help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Louis Garneau shoe opinion

You asked for recomendations...
I hate to knock Loius Garneau (I like their clothes and the outlet is nearby) but you might pass on their winter shoes. I got a pair a few years ago and they work pretty well but they are a little on the narrow side and are really stiff so they are not forgiving. They are also not as warm I hoped.
They do seem pretty tough and work well for cold and wet fall and spring rides.

·
Registered
539 Posts
money said:
i

nickcarll, Bought some cold weather pants and jacket and a helmet light. What nights do you usually head out? Is it an advanced ride? Have yet to do a night ride will have to charge the new light and give it go.

Are there any other night rides in the area? MT A?

out rides are pretty chill pending who goes. if its my buddy and me its a ripper if there new dudes we take it easy usually leave around 6 630 if you are interested in riding PM you number and ill put in in the loop of who i call.

i think there is an aggie rid on wednesday night dont ask me where they leave from been trying to hook up with em for a while.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I've had good luck with just using expedition weight merino wool socks with my summer mtb shoes. I ride pretty much year round at night and in all conditions. My dogs will get a little chilly sometimes but that quickly goes away when I get moving. Some of my buddies have the Lake winter shoes and they've had issues with the soles ripping out in less than a season. Even with those shoes they complain about their feet being a little chilly when mine are toasty.

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
hmm , Interesting
Ive had my lakes for close to 8 years and I even put sheet metal screw into the bottoms for ice traction , no issues.

the keys to warm feet are waterproof ( summer shoes usually have ventilation, step in a puddle and its all over)

insulation , thick soles and most importantly wiggle room. if your shoes are tight you will get cold feet. I go a full size larger than usuall and now Lake has the mega which is wider as well. I have never had to wear anything more than summer bike socks

some people have better circulation than others but for all the reasons listed above I still think the lakes are the best overall

·
fliernh
348 Posts
dan0 said:
hmm , Interesting
Ive had my lakes for close to 8 years and I even put sheet metal screw into the bottoms for ice traction , no issues.

the keys to warm feet are waterproof ( summer shoes usually have ventilation, step in a puddle and its all over)

insulation , thick soles and most importantly wiggle room. if your shoes are tight you will get cold feet. I go a full size larger than usuall and now Lake has the mega which is wider as well. I have never had to wear anything more than summer bike socks

some people have better circulation than others but for all the reasons listed above I still think the lakes are the best overall
Totally agree with this post. No problems with warm toes down to teens with my Lakes. I use toe warmers lower than that just to stay real warm.

·
lurking since 1999
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Finally tried out the lake MXZ302 shoes earlier today. According to the car thermo it was
24 going into the woods and 29 returning to the car. Why o Why didn't I get these earlier, years earlier. Was out for 2 1/2 hours I was toasty and the feet were too wearing just my regular mtn bike socks underneath. Actually got to try out my whole cold weather outfit. Lake shoes, Endura jacket, Izumi pants, Lizard Skins cold weather gloves and a helmet liner.

Felt great not being bulked up with fluffy clothes. I wished the Endura jacket had pit zips. Hopefully everything will last several seasons as these things wern't on the cheap side of things.

Have yet to try out my light. Time, can't buy that.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,968 Posts
yogreg said:
I like Shimano mw80 Gortex shoes
I have always had cold feet in the past with any set up used. Wool socks, warmers, booties, ect. With these shoes I can run thin summerish socks and have zero worries.

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/con.../product.-code-SH-MW80.-type-sh_mountain.html
These are probably the best going. I just ordered some last week. I like that the entire shoe is insulated and waterproof where the Lakes just have an insulated toe box. The Lakes suck when hammering as well. I am looking forward to a warm, real winter cycling shoe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.