Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the cooler season coming on in Australia in the next couple months, I am trying to source a good quality jacket that will fit my large body.

Looking for something that will provide good waterproofing qualities as well as warmth for rides in the mid teens (celsius that is). I really like the GORE bikeware, but unfortunately I don't think they cater for the bigger folk looking at their website.

Any thoughts on other manufacturers?

·
Registered
55 Posts
@Bike Whisperer and @t51rmkiv

Thanks for the recommendation. Been looking for quite some time for decent tall cycling gear.
Wish they had a larger selection, and I agree their website leaves a lot to be desired.
Ordered a ATD TALL Men's Thermal Softshell Jacket, it fits perfect...Probably the best fitting jacket I have found to date!

·
Yeah!
1,457 Posts
@Bike Whisperer and @t51rmkiv

Thanks for the recommendation. Been looking for quite some time for decent tall cycling gear.
Wish they had a larger selection, and I agree their website leaves a lot to be desired.
Ordered a ATD TALL Men's Thermal Softshell Jacket, it fits perfect...Probably the best fitting jacket I have found to date!
I did my first ride last week in their Thermal Softshell pants, I like them. Did great in 35ºF, and added their fleece lined leg warmers for the 25ºF ride home. Ride home was a touch warm, but overall very comfortable.

I've also got their fleece lined arm warmers, non-lined tights, padded shorts, and a light windbreaker. Everything I've purchased has been good quality gear.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have a Spyder Icon jacket, Coachs Bib pants, and some other Spyder gear.

This stuff is great, we were headed for Lapland Sweden to winter down, but then the attacks in France happened and we got border locked, after being refused to cross for 15 days we just skirted around Germany until we hit Austria. We are currently in Einach but we arranged a good spot up on the mountain to winter down at.

Right now we are only about 25 degrees but I am sure it will actually get cold.

Last winter Spyder was perfect for Lapland, this winter it may just be Tshirt weather.

Spyder may cost, but it is worth it, takes a hard beating too.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have been looking at their stuff to , already have a summer jersey ,,, but my hang up is which jacket is the correct 1 for me I live in jersey so at its coldest would prob be 25-30deg f ,,,,I love to ride in the snow so was looking at waterproof but from my understanding it doesn't breath . other sites say to dress in layers so do I want the softshell so I can keep layering on top? as you probably can tell I don't know how to dress for winter riding but would love to learn so I can keep riding this yr without getting sick

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have been looking at their stuff to , already have a summer jersey ,,, but my hang up is which jacket is the correct 1 for me I live in jersey so at its coldest would prob be 25-30deg f ,,,,I love to ride in the snow so was looking at waterproof but from my understanding it doesn't breath . other sites say to dress in layers so do I want the softshell so I can keep layering on top? as you probably can tell I don't know how to dress for winter riding but would love to learn so I can keep riding this yr without getting sick
I got my Spyder Gear because I often choose to spend my winters in the bush of Lapland where 20- is fairly normal in the dead of winter.

This year with all the BS in Europe and with the EU, no one knows who is doing what and our entire group was turned away from the border several times. So we headed back down south to Austria, currently it is sort of warm here in the mountains at like 20-25, if I was going to stand around all day long outside and not move then I am sure Spyder would be good here too, but with just normal moving around it is way to hot for me.

It is up to each persons body, if 20 is pretty cold to you, then see how cold it is to you when riding.

Just saying, because my Spyder Gear ran just 4K with a 35% Veterans discount. Great investment for someone sleeping in Artic bush,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.