Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good cold weather reliable dropper seatpost? Looks like many of the coil spring return posts have been discontinued now. What is everyone experiences with cold weather and dropper seat posts.

· Registered
785 Posts
I rode a PNW Rainer all last winter in mixed conditions from upper single Fs through sloppy mid 30s and it worked great. Had a summer warranty issue and am now on a Loam. I don't doubt it will be just as good, if not better. It did slow a bit in the cold, but never to the point where it affected riding.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
IME, they mostly suck.

I haven't had my bikeyoke posts out much in the real cold, but they have an issue where if you don't put it at least partway down before you bring it inside, the valve is very hard to actuate, to the point where it feels you are going to rip the cable out of the remote/post. If you can remember to do this before the temp change, they seem to work decent.

But I have a transfer, it sucks in the cold. I have two PNW posts, they suck in the cold (same mechanism as many other posts). Yes, I did ride the PNW on the iditarod and when it was below about 15F the return was excruciatingly slow and it needed some help to return. I also found that after a few months, these tend to feel like crap, compared to my bikeyoke revive that just feels like butter forever, but again, I haven't done extended cold weather testing with that either. These PNW posts seems somewhat disposable, but the dropping mechanism is also pretty cheap, so you could theoretically keep replacing that each season for not-much money.

E-13 has an interesting mechanical post that has a mechanism that makes it impossible for it to sag/lock in the dropped position. This seems like a good idea for the cold, where if everything goes south you could cut your cable and at least have a regular post.

Reactions: Niko

· will rant for food
3,961 Posts
I still want to try the USE post. It uses a screw type device with a locking-clutch kept in place with a wave spring. Real nerd @#$*. In theory it should tolerate cold really well as it does not rely on oil. Anyone on here use a USE yet?

· Registered
511 Posts
I used a PNW Cascade last year in Alaska. It worked great. I did have one warranty issue that my local bicycle shop and the manufacturer handled with no issue. I suggest that you keep the post in the dropped position when storing it.

· Registered
2,198 Posts
I'm very happy with my CrankBrothers Highline in the cold. Below -5F, it gets slow, but still returns within a 3 seconds or so. No reliability issues.

I've had Reverbs stop working on multiple occasions just under freezing.

There are a few other threads on this specifically you can search for more responses.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
I heard the same thing at the bikeshop here when I was standing around. Something about how it doesn't like temperature change from inside to out, similar to the bikeyoke. If left in the drop position, it extends easier in the cold. The first "return" in the cold can be so slow as to be mistaken for a malfunction, but this supposedly avoids that. This is what the local shop was pitching to someone who was attempting to warranty theirs at the time, give this a try, come back if it's still not working.

· Registered
7,322 Posts
It doesn't get under 0F here in Southern California much. I think 5F is the coldest I've experienced on the local trails. My Gravity Dropper works perfectly fine. I haven't tried the Bike Yoke in cold yet but that bike isn't set up for winter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.