Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cold rides

831 views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  JD1 
#1 ·
Here in Md it is still cool out atleast too cold for shorts. I want to start riding after work (yes i have a light) but not sure what to wear as far as pants. I have mountain bike shorts(the baggy ones) for the warm days. I dont like the tight bike pants. Any suggestions?? Thanks all! :thumbsup:

#3 ·
You won't need the light after this weekend. Daylight savings time. I've been riding in shorts for two weeks, I just over dress on top, turtleneck, jersey, light jacket and then I feel warm all over. BTW, I'm in Northern Virginia, neighbor.

#9 ·
I have used soccer socks with shorts for cold rides and kept very warm. Knee pads with shorts work too.
I got frostbite last time i tried to wear soccer socks in below freezing weather.

After that, I invested in 2 pair of wool ski socks. Wool is the key!

As for o.p. Just buy some running tights and wear baggy shorts on top. No padding but 1/3 the price of biking tights. And i wear under armor cold gear tights on top.
I swear biking clothes are the biggest rip off of all time. The clothing industry sees the bike industry charging an arm and a leg for bikes and they want a piece of the action.

Sheepo

#12 ·
Shark said:
Baggies over lomg undies here, with woolsocks pulled as high as they go...lol...not a fasion show
Yup, I do the same. Not interested in the newest, coolest biking clothes - just stuff that does what I want it to. If it's a little warm for longjohns, then I wear a pair of light nylon running pants - not much insulation but it keeps the wind off. I don't know about you guys, but once I start riding I generate enough heat that I can keep warm with minimal covering. I usually do take warmer layers in my pack when I ride in the winter - just in case.

Steve Z

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.