Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Intermediate wannabe
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, not exactly epic and there's no awesome shots of me doing a 20 foot roller or a 10 foot drop, but its gotten really cold here in NY really fast and I have just been dying to get out and ride. Couldn't find anyone to join me so I was on a solo mission. 26 degrees at start time. I did about an hour and a half. Some tough climbs and some really fast technical downhills.

I was wearing long cycling pants with mtb shorts and shin/knee pads on top. Tech shirt, cotton mock turtle and a lightweight ski jacket with the vents open. Balaclava, goggles and winter gloves. I was actually dressed too warm.

Came home to a delicious Kona Pipeline Porter.

·
Hermit
990 Posts
Nice pics & nice bike. Looks like a fun place to ride.

I've been itching to hit the trails too, and when it got cold enough to freeze up the treads I had to get out. Two nights of night riding in a row at West Branch State Park in Ohio. The first night it was 20 degrees, the second a balmy 27. Terrific riding, great times. No trail time today, just road riding, but tomorrow over to Moraine in PA for some ROCKS.

Man, I'm way too hot-blooded to be wearing all those clothes! When it was 20 out I had on a pair of lined nylon workout pants, a polypro longjohn top and an acrylic sweater. Fingerless padded gloves with lightweight glove liners and elbow pads and I was sweating like it was summer after 15 minutes. I tend to dress light for the cold weather and carry a bunch of extra clothes in my pack - just in case.

Steve Z

·
Intermediate wannabe
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fat Bob said:
Discover the power of wool. Much better than cotton, keeps you warm when it's cold out, and you won't overheat with it. Layer it correctly and you'll be comfy as can be.
I haven't tried a high quality wool jersey before, but I'd be worried about its lack of windstop. How does wool perform with the wind? I hate feeling the breeze right through the jersey, especially at 20 degrees. I usually try for tech/base layer->insulation layer->outer/shell layer.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Just did a 1 hour ride in CT after my last exam here at UCONN. I wore jeans, a long sleeve thermal, a fleece, and a windbreaker. I was almost too warm. Keep in mind this was freeriding with a road climb to the top.

I hadn't ridden in close to a week and a half because of the snow we had and the cold/exams. I really missed it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.