Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So maybe passion isn't the most appropriate place to post this, but I'm passionate about riding even when it's super cold. Anyone else? Maybe you can share your experiences or the hand gear you use.

Do other riders have this problem or do I just have lousy circulation. I'm able to keep my feet pretty warm, thick wool socks work wonders.

My hands get very cold, to the point they're numb, clearly this is a circulation problem. I feel like I'm grabbing my handlebars too tight or could it be the gloves I'm using. I use lobsters with a liner (Craft) and also full finger Perl Cyclone gloves. Still I cannot keep my fingers warm.

Anyone with tips out there. I'm prepared to try anything.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Here's a couple of suggestions...

We ride through the winter(as long as their is not to much snow on ground)...here's a few things that work for me:

1. Wear a skull cap or hat under your helmet...i know you said fingers are cold but if your head is warm then blood flows elsewhere.

2. Liners usually don't work for me due to adding another layer that actually constrics blood flow. Try your lobster claws without a liner.

3. Mini Heat packs....on some gloves there is a spot on the back of the hand for a heat pack to go in. They are disposable...you can get them at any sporting goods store...

Hope that helps.....btw todays ride was one of the first cold rides of the season...snow flurries and windy the entire 4 hour ride..!!!

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
i've used sepcialized sub zero gloves for quite some time, and they're really really warm and waterproof. blood flow would be concern #1 in keeping hands warm. normally i wear xl gloves and for winter or even cooler weather gloves i go xxl. you could also look into bar mitts or pogees(i think that's what they're called) the funny little mitten things that fit over the bars and allow you to wear thinner/lighter gloves while on the bike.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for the replies. I think the only thing I haven't tried is heat packs (is there a particular brand, or is a heat pack a heat pack?). I saw them go for a buck at my local grocery store.

I was out on my cross bike on Sat and Sun. The winds are brutal, serious finger freezing material. Dirt trails are still sloppy from the sleet/rain/snow we've had.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
I got a package of 30 pairs of them, I guess I would consider them "generic". Sweat management is always my issue. If I wear gloves that have too much insulation, my hands sweat then they get cold from that. The heat packs on the back of my hands with a relatively light glove works best - keeps my hands warm without excessive sweat.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have found the next 2 skin gloves from performance work great. I use them over a pair of thin full finger gloves and my hands are warm even at 17 F. I bought them years ago. I think they still make them, they are a wind proof material. I have even used them when riding my motorcycle in the winter.

Brian

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have winter gloves fro canondale, I got it at a reasonable price online. But still my hands get cold for a few min but once I have warmed up the hands are okay. The body is my main concern and I have to dress right as I do with cross country skiing. Sometimes I would use my XC ski gloves (swix).
I did see a docu on National Geographic? about cold exposure. Without any protection reaction time got affected, could not do any fine motor skills. With the minimum protection (making sure the torso, specially the chest area remains warm) he was able to buy more time and able to do fine motor activities longer. From that docu I learned that I have to keep my chest well protected more than the other parts. But of course that docu is a one person observation may be difficult to extrapolate in general.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Get Moosemitts

This gets discussed on the forums every year around this time. Check out the Alaska forum, for example. I'm not sure what you consider cold, but I have used these and had my hands stay toasty warm down to at least 5 below zero. Then it's other parts that are a problem, not the hands. All you'll need is a light winter glove underneath them in all likelihood. They have proven to be well worth the price to me as they keep me riding through the winters in far northern New York (not as cold as Alaska, but plenty frosty).

http://www.trails-edge.com/retail/te_shirts/amfbikemits.htm

Also check out the winter passion thread on this forum going on right now. You'll see some great photos of cold weather riding gear.

But it's going to make you want to get a Pugsley real bad. ;)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Here are the ones......

springbok said:
Cheers for the replies. I think the only thing I haven't tried is heat packs (is there a particular brand, or is a heat pack a heat pack?). I saw them go for a buck at my local grocery store.

I was out on my cross bike on Sat and Sun. The winds are brutal, serious finger freezing material. Dirt trails are still sloppy from the sleet/rain/snow we've had.
buy them by the case when I see them on sale ........these are actually the ones for shoes/toes....but the mitt ones come in a case just like these....worth the money.!

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts