Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With this recent cold weather and lots of night riding my feet have been turning into icicles. It seems I have good lights, a warm base layer, good gloves, just can't figure out a good solution for the feet. I have used booties before, but they don't last long with mountain bike use. Foot warmers have been effective, but not without the booties.

Any suggestions?

·
Ack!
199 Posts
I go for a ski sock and then a non ziplock sandwich bag and then the shoe. I usually keep a half dozen in my camelbak just in case. They are enough to block the wind but also let my sweaty feet breathe.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pete Fagerlin said:
Thin liner sock, then a plastic bag (newspaper bag, bread bag, etc.) then a medium weight oversock.

Goretex socks can substitute for the bag and oversock but are much pricier.
I have been thinking Big Foot would help with the cold, but interfere with the bike handling ability.

I'll give that a try if I can still fit my feet into my shoes.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Pete's set up with the thin plastic bags and two pairs of socks works fantastic and it's water proof also :thumbsup:

·
Forgiven
426 Posts
Wool......... I've switched out all my socks to wool. Winter and summer. Warm when they need to be, cool when they need to be. Hincapie has some great ones.

·
Registered
883 Posts
"IF YOUR FEET ARE COLD, PUT A HAT ON"

This old saying really applies to cycling. Wearing a skull cap or gore-tex helmet cover works well for most Norcal conditions...unless you're in the snow or below 30 degrees, then cover with thicker fabric.

For my feet, a wool sock layer with gore-tex over-sock works well.

·
VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
1,152 Posts

Diadora Chili Extreme.
I got mine for $99 on ebay.
These have been great for three winters now. Wore them this morning on the way to work in the snow. Mine fit pretty snuggly so I just wear normal cycling socks underneath.

These have saved me many times, toes are nice and warm!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
wool socks for sure, then add some neoprene cycling shoe covers. Like a wetsuit for your feet.

There are quite a few available, go for some w/ the side zip on the inside (like specialized ones). A zippper in the rear tends to come loose easier.

I rode Saratoga Gap last year in the snow/slush w/ this setup and my feet were warm and toasty for 2 1/2 hrs.

They also work fine in dry/cold weather.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Wool socks, then wrap them with Saran Wrap. Then just turn on the Tivo. Niiice and toastie.

Seriously the wool / saran wrap combo works well for me. I tried outer liners but they get trashed in ONE mountain bike ride.

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
Woolies and toe covers

EBrider said:
With this recent cold weather and lots of night riding my feet have been turning into icicles. It seems I have good lights, a warm base layer, good gloves, just can't figure out a good solution for the feet. I have used booties before, but they don't last long with mountain bike use. Foot warmers have been effective, but not without the booties.

Any suggestions?
and a head band...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts