Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With this recent cold weather and lots of night riding my feet have been turning into icicles. It seems I have good lights, a warm base layer, good gloves, just can't figure out a good solution for the feet. I have used booties before, but they don't last long with mountain bike use. Foot warmers have been effective, but not without the booties.

Any suggestions?

·
Ack!
199 Posts
I go for a ski sock and then a non ziplock sandwich bag and then the shoe. I usually keep a half dozen in my camelbak just in case. They are enough to block the wind but also let my sweaty feet breathe.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pete Fagerlin said:
Thin liner sock, then a plastic bag (newspaper bag, bread bag, etc.) then a medium weight oversock.

Goretex socks can substitute for the bag and oversock but are much pricier.
I have been thinking Big Foot would help with the cold, but interfere with the bike handling ability.

I'll give that a try if I can still fit my feet into my shoes.

·
Registered
883 Posts
"IF YOUR FEET ARE COLD, PUT A HAT ON"

This old saying really applies to cycling. Wearing a skull cap or gore-tex helmet cover works well for most Norcal conditions...unless you're in the snow or below 30 degrees, then cover with thicker fabric.

For my feet, a wool sock layer with gore-tex over-sock works well.

·
VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
1,159 Posts

Diadora Chili Extreme.
I got mine for $99 on ebay.
These have been great for three winters now. Wore them this morning on the way to work in the snow. Mine fit pretty snuggly so I just wear normal cycling socks underneath.

These have saved me many times, toes are nice and warm!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
wool socks for sure, then add some neoprene cycling shoe covers. Like a wetsuit for your feet.

There are quite a few available, go for some w/ the side zip on the inside (like specialized ones). A zippper in the rear tends to come loose easier.

I rode Saratoga Gap last year in the snow/slush w/ this setup and my feet were warm and toasty for 2 1/2 hrs.

They also work fine in dry/cold weather.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Wool socks, then wrap them with Saran Wrap. Then just turn on the Tivo. Niiice and toastie.

Seriously the wool / saran wrap combo works well for me. I tried outer liners but they get trashed in ONE mountain bike ride.

·
Registered
11,783 Posts
Woolies and toe covers

EBrider said:
With this recent cold weather and lots of night riding my feet have been turning into icicles. It seems I have good lights, a warm base layer, good gloves, just can't figure out a good solution for the feet. I have used booties before, but they don't last long with mountain bike use. Foot warmers have been effective, but not without the booties.

Any suggestions?
and a head band...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.