Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there ... about to face my first winter over here in the UK and I want to keep on riding X-country as much as possible. One thing I know Im gonna suffer from is cold ears ! just wondered what others use under a standard cycle helmet....

Cheers

Oh and any gloves recommends appreciated also

·
Have Cake and beat it 2
291 Posts
gah we have this discussion at work and I can't remember the name of the product they recommended, pretty sure it was a new zealand company though.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I use a buff http://www.buyabuff.com/ The classic.

A super thin one works for a lot of things. I actually have 2 and carry the second is for my neck. its really thin and can spread out for many different uses.

KIN

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
This is my favorite solution, the Louis Garneau ear cover:

It easily fits under the helmet (that's what it's made for). It's windproof and waterproof, but the fabric still "breathes." Despite being really thin, it keeps the ears nice and warm. I use it all winter long temps.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I use a wool or fleece hat depending on the temps. Smartwool was what I found myself reaching for most of the time. I appreciate that I could easily shove it in a pocket once I warmed up.

As for gloves, I have just about everything from thin fleece to ski gloves. Layers or multiple pairs are pretty key as you will want to take your gloves off once you warm up and start sweeting. Once the temps go near 30 F I would use a thin pair of fleece gloves under a pair of Gore Tex ski gloves. Once I warmed up I would take the fleece off and feel pretty good with my hands.

Now my feet on the other hand, can't seem to keep those warm at all.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
My favorites...

are the Giro G9 Snowboard helmet, and the Pearl Izumi Lobster glove.

Both are quite warm, the G9 has removable vent plugs so as it gets colder you can plug up to reduce air flow and stay warmer. And the ear protection is built in. The Lobster gloves are very warm and highly moisture resistant. But do keep in mind I'm riding across the pond in the midwestern US. We might get a bit colder in the dead of winter. So these may be a bit on the warm side for a UK winter, I don't know. But a fleece skull cap and all buttoned up, and the G9 and the Lobster gloves, keep me toasty down to about -23C.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Squash said:
Both are quite warm, the G9 has removable vent plugs so as it gets colder you can plug up to reduce air flow and stay warmer. And the ear protection is built in. The Lobster gloves are very warm and highly moisture resistant. But do keep in mind I'm riding across the pond in the midwestern US. We might get a bit colder in the dead of winter. So these may be a bit on the warm side for a UK winter, I don't know. But a fleece skull cap and all buttoned up, and the G9 and the Lobster gloves, keep me toasty down to about -23C.
I have Pearl Izumi Barrier gloves. They're a bit warm in temps above the freezing point. They're great gloves though, as are the Lobsters (which might even be a bit warmer).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for replies everyone... have gone with a micro fleece headband under the helmet for now.... we live down in the south of the UK in Cornwall so doesnt get too cold ... will see how it goes.

Thanks again

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
When temps go below freezing, I'll try the Buff I got from the local group ride event a few weeks ago:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts