Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Really I am that slow
3,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holly freeze your balls to your saddle batman!

-19 without windchill on my ride into the distillery went down once....

Getting very tired of this frozen tundra on the front range!

·
2,856 Posts
SlowerThenSnot said:

I saw a guy riding in Boulder along the Diagonal Hwy. this morning, -10F.

I can imagine commuting by bike in the frozen tundra would get tiring. Take heart, warmer weather is on the horizon......somewhere.

Ed

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
edemtbs said:
Take heart, warmer weather is on the horizon......somewhere.

Ed
Yes Ed, they call that somewhere NEVER NEVER LAND!!:yikes:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
JOEMTBR COLORADO said:
Well the good news is puxitanuway phil did not see his shadow this morning so spring is on its way, CAN'T WAIT:rolleyes:
I saw that too...I did think the little guy looked shady...I think he's hiding something!! If he is we'll get a front range posse together and go regulate!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
70-Spokes said:
He's probably hiding something like another blizzard or three. And these will come in late March so it will be wet and heavy and gross.
That little jerk...I mean did you not see all his shaking...something isn't adding up with that little guy, I KNOW he's got secrets!!

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
Riding creates your own windchill

SlowerThenSnot said:

I hate it when someone screams "it's 45 below!!" when it's ten below and there's a breeze. Sure it's butt cold but not minus 45. Actually, I worked in Gunnison one winter and one morning the bank said "-49". For real. When I got up to Crested Butte at about 9 am their bank said "-25" and it actually felt warmer!

I can handle riding in about 20 degrees if there isn't a wind, but even when it's calm going 20 mph freezes my face right off. 36 degrees and I'm doing 20 isn't so bad. Minus 19 AND riding would hurt too much.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
edemtbs said:
Hmmmm, is that making you a little nervous miSSionMan? Anything you want to confess now?

Ed
Well I was on this business trip last night and befriended this furry little guy at the bar. This other something (I mean he was fish-like and not sure if he was human or what) came up to us and offered us these waffer looking things. Man, I thought, what could this guy possibly want or be offering to us?? I told him to go away but the furry little guy introduced himself as Phil to the fish-like creature. I grabbed Phil and said that I recognized him and reminded him of his early morning group meeting. He said for me to take a hike and he was going to go with fishman. I left disheartened and came home to Colorado. So as I turned on the TV this am I was confirmed that I had seen this "Phil" before and got sorta mad that he had been out doing God knows what with such a big day ahead. Well anywhoo, seeing little Phil this morning he wasn't very talkative, you could tell he wasn't too willing to be there (I mean the guys had to knock on his door to get him to come out to the meeting)...HE WAS NOT EVEN CLOTHED YET!! And then when he did appear there was all the shaking...Phil was on something last night and I still think he was feeling the effects today. The last thing I want to do is bad mouth Phil, however, I just gotta share this as I don't want all of you to be in the dark as I feel Phil didn't have a clear mind to make the choice he had to make. There, I said it, happy ED??
miSSionary

·
2,856 Posts
xcguy said:
I hate it when someone screams "it's 45 below!!" when it's ten below and there's a breeze. Sure it's butt cold but not minus 45. Actually, I worked in Gunnison one winter and one morning the bank said "-49". For real. When I got up to Crested Butte at about 9 am their bank said "-25" and it actually felt warmer!
The wind chill temp game the media plays up is annoying but I guess if you are riding a bike it counts for something.

It was really interesting on the drive in. The temperature varied from 14F in Golden area where the downsloping wind was blowing to -10F in the calm valley areas closer to Longmont. My thermometer was jumping around quite a bit. As I dropped off of the Rocky Flats mesa into Boulder the temp dropped 15F degrees in a 1 mile to -6F.

Cold air is like liquid almost, more dense than warmer air. It behaves like water so there are stronger boundaries. It settles into lower areas.

When I was a kid studying weather, I'd always look for Gunnison as it was always one of the coldest spots in the country.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Man, you ain't foolin'. My thermometer said -15 this morning. I don't know what the windchill was, but my feet and thighs were damn near frozen by the time I got to work. Look on the bright side, though. New snow makes the trails a lot more predictable than all that ice we've been skating over.:D :madman:

I've only gone down 3 times this week, none of which were today (yet). Maybe I'm finally starting to get better at riding this sh!t...

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
How cold was it?

Another weather fact for ya. Coldest ever reported in Colorado was minus 61 in Maybell which is somewhere up in the NW corner near Utah. I remember watching the Weather Channel in its early days when it was freakin' cold all over Colorado and the weather guy (from Atlanta where 30 degrees seems COLD) was reciting temps from around the West. He pointed to something like minus 57 in I believe Maybell again...he said it, paused, looked again, said minus 57 again, turned to the camera and said in true amazement "That's ridiculous, folks. No wind chill here." It was probably 200 below with wind chill and today would headline the story, not the thermometer's reading.

In Gunnison you could tell the difference between minus 10, minus 20, minus 30, minus 40 from the sound of the snow crunching underfoot. By the time we would reach Crested Butte in minus 40 our truck differential would be freezing up and making a horrible racket. I'd come back down to Boulder for a few days, it'd be 10 above and I'd be in a teeshirt and light jean jacket, no problem.

·
I'm a unitard!
1,514 Posts
edemtbs said:
I saw a guy riding in Boulder along the Diagonal Hwy. this morning, -10F.

I can imagine commuting by bike in the frozen tundra would get tiring. Take heart, warmer weather is on the horizon......somewhere.

Ed
I bet that was my friend Matt. What was he riding?

·
2,856 Posts
mtbfool said:
I bet that was my friend Matt. What was he riding?
Not sure what bike it was. He or she was on the other side of Diagonal heading towards Boulder. It was about 7:20am, looked like it had panniers and it wasn't a road bike (I don't think).

Ed

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
xcguy said:
... the weather guy (from Atlanta where 30 degrees seems COLD) was reciting temps from around the West...
The cold works different in Atlanta. I spent 8 years living down south and at the moment I'm in Boston and it is very analogous. The air here is moist and heavy and although the thermometer is reading 40F outside, there's no sun and the heavy, moist air just sucks the heat out of ya like the dry air in Colorado does not. I am shivering like I did when Boulder was in the teens.

_MK

·
Jackass
249 Posts
MK_ said:
The cold works different in Atlanta. I spent 8 years living down south and at the moment I'm in Boston and it is very analogous. The air here is moist and heavy and although the thermometer is reading 40F outside, there's no sun and the heavy, moist air just sucks the heat out of ya like the dry air in Colorado does not. I am shivering like I did when Boulder was in the teens.

_MK
....But its a dry cold!

I lived in Portland OR for awhile and its the same up there. The moisture content makes a HUGE difference. Either way I'm still freezing my ding-ding off.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Its not the dampness of air that makes the difference, its the density of the air. The air is more dense at sea level (more air) than it is at altitude (like in colorado). Just like water (a more dense fluid) sea-level air is a more dense fluid, so more heat is transfered away from the body in the same amount of time.

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,878 Posts
Rest assured there will be warm weather on the way... I'm on my way to the hardware store to make some studded tires for my commuter. As soon as those tires are on my bike it will all melt away. :D I want to ride, but if I injure myself commuting it would suck far more than being on the trail somehow.

Maybe this spring there will be more snow in Summit/Vail where it belongs...

·
Registered
430 Posts
Awesome winter

I have to say, I have really enjoyed this winter. I live near Nederland, and we have probably gotten as much snow as anybody in the state. While riding has been pretty much out of the question - minus rolling to and from my place of work - the cross country skiing has been phonemnal. Gone out a ton this winter and have even embraced racing - we have a Wednesday night race series up here that is attended by all the honch Boulder cyclists. Even better, my backcountry skis and tele skis have gotten a ton of mileage, and you can pretty much ski anywhere, even popular mountain biking routes, and get sweet tracks. Going for an almost-full-moon ski tonight. Of course I'll be stoked come spring - the rivers are going to be SO high and the ground tacky (not to mention drifts well into June) to ride singletrack, but I have found by embracing the winter season and not stressing about riding - well this winter seems like a gift rather than a chore.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.