Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
enjoys skidding
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm sure you're sick of hearing about BR's by now but I've just got a quick question.

Currently I'm riding a an 04 Kona Coiler. I typically ride light downhill, as much singletrack as possible with the odd XC trip.. but I'm the sort of person that doesn't mind having something a bit more burly for XC so I can plough it down the hills.

I'm looking at getting a new bike, and I'm pretty keen on a BR. I feel like I just need a tad more travel than my Coiler, as I want to hit more full on DH tracks. Lots of people have said that the BR feels like it has more than 5.5" of travel - would you think it would feel a lot more at home on a DH track than my Coiler? I'm guessing that the geometry would help it a lot. I am looking at getting one with a 66 RC2.

Apologies if these are stupid questions haha.. Any help would be good.

·
clyde in training
1,917 Posts
This is great, I also have an 04 coiler, and I want a bottlerocket. The coiler is meant to do everything, but the br can do everything but seems better in the air.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
Coiler's are a very good frame. your coiler could easily take full DH riding. if you wanted to change it up, look into santacruz, they have supernice shocks on sale. Bottlerockets are great. both are very capable bikes. if I were you, I'd spend the extra cash on components for your coiler. bottlerocket is sexy tho.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I owned a coiler. Best thing I did was sell it and buy an enduro. In my oppinion, it's flexy, poorly ballanced (probably cause I was on a Medium) top tube will ride high on your junk, and konas in general always get specced with the lowest grade of components.

Get the transition.

·
enjoys skidding
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
a nice upgrade which I feel would be better for yourself would be the Intense Socom or Santa Cruz VP Free
Yeah.. both would be damn nice. Bot unfortunately the price tag attached to them means it will never happen unfortunately.

I've got around US$3300 to spend on the whole bike.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
jasevr4 said:
Hi all

I'm sure you're sick of hearing about BR's by now but I've just got a quick question.

Currently I'm riding a an 04 Kona Coiler. I typically ride light downhill, as much singletrack as possible with the odd XC trip.. but I'm the sort of person that doesn't mind having something a bit more burly for XC so I can plough it down the hills.

I'm looking at getting a new bike, and I'm pretty keen on a BR. I feel like I just need a tad more travel than my Coiler, as I want to hit more full on DH tracks. Lots of people have said that the BR feels like it has more than 5.5" of travel - would you think it would feel a lot more at home on a DH track than my Coiler? I'm guessing that the geometry would help it a lot. I am looking at getting one with a 66 RC2.

Apologies if these are stupid questions haha.. Any help would be good.
Howbout a Kona Stinky?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.