Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one is better for climbing? I have narrowed my choice down to these two bikes, but since there is some XC around where I live, I am wondering which would be better suited for the trail. I know the 4 inches of travel won't be a big deal for me, because I only weigh 130 pounds.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
the coiler doesnt climb that great.

the howler is lighter and has less travel. probably would climb better too.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Coiler w/ an air shock

The howler has a short seat tube, and a very low BB (made for 4x racing)... would suck for climbing. The Colier has a higher BB and a "normal" length seat tube... If you want to build a bike for climbing just get a Dawg w/ a coil shock. Still pretty beefy, 5" and fairly light...

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have a Howler..

I quickly discovered you can only run one front ring.. I went with a 34T. So anything gnarly steep and you are going to have to get out of the saddle. In addition you've got to raise the seat way up to stay seated and spin.

If you are looking for an AM setup, I'd go with the Coiler. The Howler is a 4x/DJ type frame..

·
Gravity is cool.
150 Posts
I have an '05 Coiler and I ride it everywhere except the high mountain rides. At ~36 lbs it climbs well, but I have no desire to climb 5k' or more on it :eek:
For most XC it's great though and I'd rather have the 6" of travel for the downhills :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.