Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
CURB HUCK!!!!!!
492 Posts
i don't understand how that'd make the bike ride better. IMO it would feel weird
why would you want the fork angle to get steeper when you're going downhill and hit something with the front wheel

where did the picture come from?

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got this directly from Kona's owner areas' Forum. Some guy found the pics, and was wondering what the hell was up with such a concept. Needless to say, the tech assured him that kona took no part in the cheesy-ass idea and weld-job.

Is that even the stock Vanilla R rear shock?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Looks like an adjustable head angle system prototype of some kind. I guess that's not a shock but a telescopic device that allows head angle adjustments with a turn of a knob.
They use the Coiler as a test bike........that does make sense...

·
Registered
260 Posts
It's not a shock (I guess)
If it was, the slightest move would snap that red dial (?) right off.
The bike seems like it hasn't seen dirt yet.

·
Happy Coiler Owner
160 Posts
IT is a shock!

but not what you are thinking of.

its a scott genius pull shock, so infact the head angle will become slacker.

still i think its very stupid and dangerous

·
CURB HUCK!!!!!!
492 Posts
fejfighter said:
IT is a shock!

but not what you are thinking of.

its a scott genius pull shock, so infact the head angle will become slacker.

still i think its very stupid and dangerous
well at least that makes for sense than if it were to steepen the angle
I'll pass

·
Registered
785 Posts
i'm not sure how many of you are familiar with jeeps or 4x4's with front leaf spring suspensions...but what that guy did is simliar to what they call a shackle reversal on a jeep...see with the leaf springs on a jeep they mount to the frame with a solid mount BEHIND the axle, and a shackle mount (moving mount) in front of the axle...lots of people reverse this setup, putting the moving point BEHIND the axle, so therefore the axle moves rearword upon the initial impact of hitting a rock, vs not moving at all, if you have a solid mount behind the axle...does everyone understand? ok that's what this guy did....he made the front shock so that upon hitting a square edge bump, the front fork/wheel assembly is able to pivot rearwords and "roll" over the bump easier....IN THEORY, this is an excellent idea to combat the delay it takes for the front suspension to react to a bump before it really rolls over the obstacle...now in practice, i dont really agree with what the guy did...i think it would take a lot more design than what he did, and it would be something that has to be integrated from the start, I.E. being able to heat treat the welds and design something a little nicer than that....also, i dont think that shock allows enough of a limit of rearword travel, before you start to missalign the headset race/bearings so much that you start doing damage there....overall, i give the guy an A for effort, but i dont think it's something that would work well as shown....BUT, it could be done, and it has worked in the past, as shown with the jeep shackle reversal....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.