Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I weight almost 200pounds and would like to "downhill" a little bit more confortable. I think about getting a coiler with a nixon or so (travel change) at the front so I can have more sag; but will I pay a high price when uphilling (coiler weight??). My current bike is a Jamis Dakar XLT (130mm, 30pounds).

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
you can easily build a coiler frame to a respectable weight, alotta guys here have put RS Pikes on them and have them down to about 33lbs, and if you wanted to go even lighter i dont think it should be too difficult, funds permitting.

my coiler weighs in at 35.5lbs, but its got a marz 66 fork, coil rear shock, some fairly heavy duty rims and tyres (also its an 19inch frame). im in the process of loosing 2lbs hopefully just by getting rid of my big ass intense DH tyres and fitting wireless tyres

·
Lets ride
129 Posts
I love my '05 Coiler Primo

I have mine built around #32 with a light wheel set, lighter than stock fork and upgraded parts. I take it Whistler when I can and swap out for the heavier Marz. 66RC at 170mm and swap out the wheel set for the heavy DH rims and tires, adds about 4-5 lbs. it's a medium and I about #180 with no gear. I don't go huge much, but have done ~6-7 foot drops that felt really good and the 3-4 are butter. Its been a little over a year since I have been riding FS and I like the Coiler, I can climb all day and is super confident going down hill.

Pinchox said:
I weight almost 200pounds and would like to "downhill" a little bit more confortable. I think about getting a coiler with a nixon or so (travel change) at the front so I can have more sag; but will I pay a high price when uphilling (coiler weight??). My current bike is a Jamis Dakar XLT (130mm, 30pounds).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought the coiler was heavier. Nice builds, my idea is just buying the base coiler and then change some parts to make it lighter. I am 6 ft tall, which size will fit me, I normally use 19" bikes (XC) but I guess that with bikes as the coiler it should be a 18"??, I don´t really like the feeling of driving a "huge" bike.

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
im bouncing between 6'4-6'5 and im on a 19" myself, seems a good comprimise between getting a decent leg extention, enough top tube and still not being a total slug on the trails.

its a toughy wether to go for an 18 at your height, depends if you got long legs, short arms or whatever lol, best advice is test a few out, dont do what i did and buy a bike far to small for yourself then be forced to change a whole manner of things, its costly :p

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
the base coiler is the lightest in the range and a good all round bike.

weight wise depends on how you build the coiler up,i think stock its around 32lbs.

im 6,3 and ride a 19 inch and it fits like a glove when im on it it dosent feel that big at all,no bigger than my large marin i had previously.

the dawg is a very capable bike also but lacks slightly in travel and if your riding progresses further than you are doing now the coiler will be ready for any build you have in mind.

·
Registered
389 Posts
definitely test ride

Pinchox said:
I thought the coiler was heavier. Nice builds, my idea is just buying the base coiler and then change some parts to make it lighter. I am 6 ft tall, which size will fit me, I normally use 19" bikes (XC) but I guess that with bikes as the coiler it should be a 18"??, I don´t really like the feeling of driving a "huge" bike.
i too come from an xc background, 19" haro werx xls. i talked to a guy at the best shop around here and he really emphasized trying them out....he was in the same boat as me. i am 5'11", all legs (no kidding: torso of an 8 year old), 185. i felt comfortable on the xxl, 20" version. they have short top tubes. from the 2006 catalog, the xxl tt length is 24.6, then 24.2 for xl (19"), 23.7 for large (18"). head tube drops from 5.5 to 4.7 at the large, and standover height is 33.1, 32.6, and 31.9, respectively.
there isn't a lot of difference....i plan on going w/ a set back seat post on an 18" only because that was the deal i found online.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've an '04 Coiler with Pikes and custom parts (mav 721's on hopes, thompson etc blah).

It's a great bike for proper "big" riding, and probably weighs about 33-34lbs. At 6ft I ride a 17" so horses for courses!

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
coincidently, i have an 04 17" coiler deelux frame for sale, if your interested pm me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Pinchox said:
Depending on how many parts you swap out, it may be a good idea to pick up the frame only. For example, Wheelworld is selling the '06 frame for a ridiculous price. You could then pick lighter components from the start. On a stock bike, you have to change quite a bit to get the bike down to 33 pounds, at least in my experience.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My 05 Coiler Deelux as pictured below (the second one labeled 'AM') weighs in at 33lbs. The main sources of weight loss was the crankset and the Pike.

I have an air shock going on right away and that will be a big change going from almost 900g with the old shock to just under 300g with the new shock. But I also have a Gravity Dropper going on too so that gains a couple hundred grams. So after these mods, it should be down another pound.

The only other thing I'm planning on doing to the bike is a new wheelset...the stockers are pretty heavy so with a decent replacement set, the bike could be around 30lbs. And I weigh around 200lbs and I'll have no concerns with the bike when riding here in the Rockies.

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
what air shock you thinking of getting Never?

arent you a bit worried about using an air shock on a bike with a 3:1 ratio and weighing around 200lbs? (not meaning to be rude, i've the same bike and also weigh around 200lbs lol)

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a Manitou Swinger 3-Way sitting in the garage, just waiting on some spacers. I rode the bike with the RP3 off of the Dawg and it worked fine...just needed more air compared to the Dawg.

Plus the Swinger was only $99 off of the SC website so if it doesn't last too long, no big loss.

·
Registered
412 Posts
da_eddio said:
what air shock you thinking of getting Never?

arent you a bit worried about using an air shock on a bike with a 3:1 ratio and weighing around 200lbs? (not meaning to be rude, i've the same bike and also weigh around 200lbs lol)
That Swinger 3-way SC is selling for $99 looks like a tasty addition for the Coiler. From what I've heard it has a fairly progressive spring rate and is fairly durable.

EDIT: Oops, the shock is tuned for the 2.26:1 leverage ratio on the Blur.

·
CURB HUCK!!!!!!
492 Posts
dingleberry said:
05 base Coiler w/ a Pike at around 33 lbs. Yes, it is ideal for all mountain. I don't mind pedaling it up several miles of fire road to reach the downhill. Will take a lot of abuse and its lots of fun.
my Large 18" 2006 Coiler stock with a Pike team is 36 lbs, that's a pretty big difference
maybe 35 without the kevlar inter tube protectors ;)

it's a good all around bike that's built pretty solid, I've never heard of a single breakage problem or anything. they're described as all mountain free ride bikes to go up and down

·
Registered
422 Posts
sus13 said:
That Swinger 3-way SC is selling for $99 looks like a tasty addition for the Coiler. From what I've heard it has a fairly progressive spring rate and is fairly durable.

EDIT: Oops, the shock is tuned for the 2.26:1 leverage ratio on the Blur.
Yeah the ratios are different but I'll be able to tune the shock to work. Plus, it won't be much different that the situation with my buddy's Titus that has adjustable travel (4.5" to 6") and his shock performance doesn't noticeably change.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Pinchox said:
You probly should get a 19 inch being 6ft and the riding syle you are going to do...

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
i would say an 18" frame might be better suited, i'd even say a 17" could be worth considering, depending on how long your legs are etc. Put the seatpost up for when you want to put the miles in, put it down for some fun.

you may find if you get a 19", that its just too damned big for you if you ever wanted to do drops and the like, also at only 6 ft tall, you will probably end up crushing your nads on the top tube!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.